PDA

View Full Version : Hello from sd

Pages : [1] 2

Cybercowboy
09-20-2001, 04:07 PM
I was going to buy a few more MF towels and saw the new ultra-suede towels at topoftheline.com. Anybody use them?

I have used Viper MF towels for QD`ing and drying duties (in concert with an Absorber.) Also for interior detailing. I use Charisma towels for removing Zaino. I was wondering if the ultra-suede towels would be better for QD`ing.

Also, how are they on glass or other surfaces? Anyone?

YoSteve
09-20-2001, 08:18 PM
CCB, you will find (soon) that a good quality miracle towel will dampen your need for a specialty glass towel. But, those microfiber suede cloths are awsome if you get a nice one. Oakley`s come in really nice microfiber pouches with a note saying only to use the pouch to clean it. They really rock. If you find a good one, make sure to report your results. I would personally do a CD test to make sure, once you get it :) HTH-Steve

bobdec
09-20-2001, 08:45 PM
I`ve posted before how much I like the suede mf towels. They are great for the inside glass and dash as well as cleaning your sunglasses. They are much better to keep in the glove box than a terry mf towel because you can just shake them `clean` of loose dust , dirt and other particles that cling to the terry mf. I wouldn`t recommend them for paint though. The ones I use from neatitems won`t scratch a cd. I recently bought some of the bath towel size and have been using them after showering. They take some getting used to, but they dry your body much better than cotton bath towels and the towel itself dries really quick, a real plus in the RV.

Cybercowboy
09-20-2001, 09:33 PM
A question. Why wouldn`t you use them on paint? The blurb I read (partial quote)

"Terry weave microfiber is designed to adhere to a surface. It literally clings to grease and film, taking it off in a single swipe. While this is desirable for most surfaces, it is a disaster for a waxed finish. The plush terry microfiber cannot distinguish between a layer of expensive Carnauba wax and common greasy film.

Ultra-Suede Microfiber is very different. It glides across the surface, with a natural polish-like friction, that requires no effort. This unique trait makes Ultra-Suede Microfiber one of the finest polishing materials in the world.

The Ultra-Suede Polishing Cloth has no equal for buffing all types of wax. Paste waxes, liquid waxes and polymer sealants are polished to a shine that rivals fine silver. The silky-smooth suede will maintain the shine on your aluminum wheels, brass beds, motorcycle chrome, or fine jewelry. No polishing cloth has ever matched its versatility, durability or pure pleasure to use."

I have used the Viper MF towels for QD`ing. I certainly don`t think they removed any Zaino. I haven`t used the terry MF towels, though. Are they that much different? Sure sounds like it.

Oh well, I ordered some today anyway. I`ll let ya`ll know how I like them. Nothing right now is too good for the new vette (pictures soon - I have to get it first!)

bobdec
09-20-2001, 10:10 PM
There probably is nothing wrong with using a suede mf towel on very clean paint and using if for buffing. The problem comes when even a tiny piece of grit or debris is on the surface. There is no where for it to go as there is no nap to the suede towels. The terry mf tends to move the grit up into the towel where it is less likely to scratch. I feel that it`s safer to use the terry on the paint. It also makes the terry harder to shake clean. I once make the mistake of using one to wipe off some sawdust off a table. I finally had to throw the towel away as I never could get the sawdust out of the towel. With a suede towel, you just shake it clean. (I`m not suggesting that you don`t have to launder the towels when they get dirty.)

I use a carnuba based product on my vehicles that I have left over from the old Harrah`s Car Museum. A friend of mine worked there before they stopped restoring cars and I picked up a lifetime supply when they were getting rid of all their supplies. I`ve never noticed the mf terry towels removing any of the wax. I`ve been using mf towels for several years now and wouldn`t be without them. I think once you start using both the suede and the terry towels, you`ll see the benefits of having both.

ISLANDSBEST
09-21-2001, 12:01 AM
I concur with Prinz`s theory re suede, paint, particles, and possible scratching.

I really like the suede for use in drying the windows. I clean them with a terry MF and distilled water, then wipe them dry with the suede. The suede MF not only dries, but it removes most films from the window -- I think that it does this better than the terry because it is so "fine." The terry is great for scrubing grosser dirt, but because it is gross and not fine, parts of the film are not touched by the terry, whereas the suede has full contact.

Cybercowboy
09-21-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks! I`ll heed your advice. I have plenty of glass to use them on. I`m having a load o` fun with all of this stuff!

I may try buffing Zaino with them right after removing it with a Charisma towel to see if it enhances the gloss. I`ll let you guys know how that works.

spartacus_33
09-21-2001, 03:03 PM
I also have the suede towel from Neatitems. They are sold as a glass cleaner, and work great. I have the Viper glass towel and it looks like most other MF towels. The Neatitems towel is the smoothest I`ve seen.

bobdec
09-21-2001, 07:51 PM
I`m a big fan of the neatitems.com mf towels. They are always consistent in quality and the price is right. Their suede mf is indeed very soft and smooth to the tough. It doesn`t have the `grabby` feeling that the terry mf towels have.

I also received their new 1/2 mf 1/2 rubber glass towel. It`s nothing like any other mf towel I`ve ever seen. Don2000g also got one and he didn`t seem real impressed with it, but I`m liking it more and more. I just get it wet at the kitchen sink and wring it out. Then I take it out to the car or RV and wash the glass with the mf side and refold the towel with the rubber side out to dry. I think they work great. I can clean all the glass inside and out with just one cloth. Not sure how long they`ll last, but it sure makes window cleaning easy.

Don2000g
09-21-2001, 09:47 PM
Slight correction. I never said that I didn`t like the glass towel. I merely stated that it was difficult for me to recommend it to others who already use microfiber towels on their glass or car windows. It`s just hard for me to justify spending extra money if they are getting great results with Miracle Towels.

YoSteve
09-22-2001, 03:34 AM
wow Don, exactly as I was saying, but I couldn`t really get that point across. Good point on the being able to shake out the dust better, but then again I never let anything on my car inside or out get that dirty :) I`m a fan of the squede towel, I have 2: 1 given as a gift and 1 came with Oakleys. I like them both, but I will have problems justifiying getting specific ones cause the less plush side of a mt serves its purpose.

bobdec
09-22-2001, 11:31 PM
Sorry Don, didn`t mean to put words in your mouth. I thought I was reading through the lines that you weren`t impressed with it. Like I said though, I`ve found the Glass only towel to be a great towel. I like it better for glass because I can get it we, use it to clean and dry, and then toss it under the seat. It`s not so wet that it gets anything else wet and it dries quickly.

I use the mf terry towels the most. (But only because I use the bath size towel everytime I step out of the shower!) But on the car, I find I use the suede towel daily. Next I would say that I`m using the new glass only towel and then the terry. Like my Dad always said, "There`s a proper sized hammer for every job and the right tool makes all the difference."

blackhills
01-02-2010, 01:50 AM
:Car smiley::Car smiley:

John Henry
01-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Welcome, Blackhills. What part of SD? Part of my family is from Lead, next to Deadwood.

Enjoy the forum.

Jack Kruer
01-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome BLACKHILLS to TID. I hope you enjoy your time here. We welcome your contributions and questions. South Dakota is on my list of States I would like to visit yet.

Jack Kruer
President
Classic Motoring
www.properautocare.com