PDA

View Full Version : Ford plastic surfaces

touhy
09-20-2001, 01:44 PM
I tried this product about three weeks ago. Does not add much shine but the tires really stay black. It is a bit of a problem to use. Since it has black pigments in it you must be very careful not to get it on your rims. It dries very quickly, probably solvent based, I`ll confirm if I ever get the bottle back. I gave it to a friend who was a detailer to try out and he gave it to a friend, oh well, I guess I`ll just order another.

Ron Ketcham
09-20-2001, 02:28 PM
We have had this one and couple of others in lab looking at them.

We found that Kiwi`s liquid black shoe polish is even better. Watered down less.

Just our findings in the lab, don`t shot me!!:eek:

touhy
09-20-2001, 02:46 PM
No problem, maybe shoe polish is the answer to brown tires. My point is not that this is a great product. The point is it seems to solve a problem while not creating another, i.e. slinging product on my lower panels

Ron Ketcham
09-20-2001, 06:07 PM
Usually three reasons why the tires "brown-out".

1. Brand of tire, some are more prone.

2. Cleaning of the tire with chemicals that are excessively caustic and remove the micro wax and carbon black from the sidewall.

3. The use of the "greasy kid stuff" as I call it.

Give a wet, does not really dry for a few days. This is a dimethal silicone/petroluem distillate dressing (some even have hexane in them, a strong, flammable solvent added to the regular distillate)
This removes the micro wax and carbon black just as caustic waterbased cleaners will. The difference it that the solvent liquifies the wax and carbon black and then it slings and stains the flex agent parts.

Do your sidewall exhibit a "rough to the touch", do they look really flat and have the brown tinge?

Then it is most likely the dressing you or a carwash has been using.

We wrote a few years back a whole tech article on this subject for one of the trade journals. Ford picked up on it and put it on their dealer only website.

If you wish to read about it, www.autoint.com and go to the Magazine Articles Section.

Anyway, that is what are the usual reasons behind your concern.

:cool:

grungy
01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Not a complete noob, but what is the best way to clean the funky texture of an 07 Expy interior (the new plastics are a PITA)? I hope a soft toothbrush will be aggressive enough, but as a DD I want to keep it looking good. Worst areas are the dash and the door entry moldings :scared:

TIA for any help and I hope to try some of the tricks I have learned about this past year :biggrin:

imported_01GreyStangGT
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=grungy;26674]Not a complete noob, but what is the best way to clean the funky texture of an 07 Expy interior (the new plastics are a PITA)? I hope a soft toothbrush will be aggressive enough, but as a DD I want to keep it looking good. Worst areas are the dash and the door entry moldings :scared:

TIA for any help and I hope to try some of the tricks I have learned about this past year :biggrin:[/QUOTExpl]

I also have an 07 explorer and the interior plastic texture is hard to clean as well as put a dressing on. I am also open to new ideas as well. The factory running boards are a pain to keep nice as well.

Old Pirate
01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I had use 1Z einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner, then follow up with 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium. Another product that works well in cleaning the interior plastic`s is the BLACKFIRE Interior Cleaner. I use microfiber towels and small brushes also in cleaning those area`s.

Old Pirate
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Another product that works very well in cleaning those exterior plastic area`s is 1Z einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant.

grungy
01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Angelo - I will have to give it a try later this month. That plastic surfaceis no joy to clean at all. Thanks!