PDA

View Full Version : Need to refinish Audi leather

Pages : [1] 2

tsolomon
09-20-2001, 12:05 PM
I own a black veh and as careful as I am about washing and applying polish I still notice that I have some light scratches in a few places on the hood as if there was a small piece of grit that got caught up in the towels. I have used Zaino products and tried the Z5 but it did not cover these scratches. Can anyone suggest something that might work or should I take it to a body shop and see if they can remove them? :(

adjulian
09-20-2001, 12:35 PM
there was a long post not to long ago, and you are bound to see lots of other threads

Check these 2 out to start

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3514&highlight=scratches (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3514&highlight=scratches`)

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3343&highlight=scratches (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3343&highlight=scratches`)

Don2000g
09-20-2001, 06:20 PM
The Z-5 is a very mild product. You will definitely have to go a bit more aggressive to remove scratches. Your next bet would be 3M SMR and then 3M Finesse It2. There are a few other good products out there, but it would be good to start with these two first. Laters.

PETER GIANNONE
09-21-2001, 06:56 AM
z-5 is very mild such that it has no abrasives at all...

imported_wfedwar
01-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Any tips on where to source the materials? I was an idiot and took some bad advice on cleaning products from an "expert" on another board. It looks like the top coat was removed and the underlying dyed leather was abraded. I think I need some dye and a new top coat. There are tons of options out there, so I`m hoping someone can help out with experience. This is an area probably 4" x 12". Thanks,

Billy

RustyBumper
01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello, I`m sorry to hear about your interior. I wish that I could offer you some sort of help, but unfortunately I have no useful advice to offer.
I was wondering if you could please share with us what exactly you did, so that I may avoid making a costly error.

Again, I`m sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope that you find a solution to your problem soon.

grungy
01-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Check with Jakerooni as he is very knowlegeable as well as BufferBarry. Not knocking others whom are masters of the trade here, just offering some names that come to mind. :StarWars:

Old Pirate
01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Just like Rusty had said, sorry to hear this happen to you Billy. Maybe a few pictures and exactly what you did to it that they had told you to do from another place. Maybe someone here can help or put you in the right direction.

imported_wfedwar
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Scotchbrite "Delicate Duty" pad was the main culprit. I wasn`t using any pressure, but this pad is way, way too aggressive. I think in my heart I knew it was, I was just putting too muck stock in what some online "expert" was recommending. Funny thing is that I have heard of some crazy recommendations on cleaning leather, but after this experience, I`m sticking with horsehair or microfiber. Basically if I don`t want it on the back of my hand, I`m not putting it on seats.

Old Pirate
01-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Scotchbrite, that would do it. Sorry about that maybe some rejuvenation will work for you. I would try out Leatherique to help the leather to clean it, conditioning it and rejuvenate it.

Old Pirate
01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
The thing the worries me is the top coat of the leather on the Audi. Hope the
Scotchbrite didn`t remove too much material.

RustyBumper
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I`ve heard that pads such as the ScottBrite and Magic Eraser were bad, but man I didn`t know that they could be that aggressive. This is very good info to have, I`m just sorry that it came at your expense.

Do you have any pics of your seats you could post?

TOGWT
01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Clear-Cote was originally developed to protect vinyl tops from oxidation and embedded dirt build-up. Clear-Cote is also a protective coating for newly refinished leather or vinyl. It provides a durable, washable surface for any leather or vinyl upholstery; available in original gloss or matte finish. Use a fast-drying lacquer thinner to remove the old colour coating. Apply colour, allow to dry thoroughly and then apply Color-Plus

imported_wfedwar
01-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Clear-Cote was originally developed to protect vinyl tops from oxidation and embedded dirt build-up. Clear-Cote is also a protective coating for newly refinished leather or vinyl. It provides a durable, washable surface for any leather or vinyl upholstery; available in original gloss or matte finish. Use a fast-drying lacquer thinner to remove the old colour coating. Apply colour, allow to dry thoroughly and then apply Color-Plus

Is this something you`ve used before? Thanks.

Puckman
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Leatherique has custom dyes that they can match for you. I`ve never used them but have heard from others who have and they have been happy.

You send them a 1" x 1" sample and they can match. I would guess that if you`re not happy with the section you attempt to correct you could then simply apply it to the entire seat. Just a thought and sorry to hear. I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you.