PDA

View Full Version : Fave method for removal of...

Pages : [1] 2

BradE
09-18-2001, 11:10 AM
I tried out a new glass cleaning trick today that wokred very well, and I will share it will my fellow Autopians. Use Bar Keepers Friend on windshields and other windows that devlope a haze and road film on the outside. Get the powder in a can, you can get it in 12oz cans for like $1.50 at your local supermarket Here`s how to do it:

Put a small amount of Bar Keepers Friend powder on the area that you want to clean. (For entire windshield, do small areas at a time untill entire windsheild is done) Then take a spray bottle of water and spray the power to make it into a paste. Now, with a towel or applicator work the paste into the windshield using light to medium pressure depending on how bad the haze and film is. Now spray the area with water and wipe off with a clean towel, and the road film is gone!!

Bar Keepers Friend contains a mild abrasive, so it will cut through the haze and film but wont scratch the glass. DO NOT USE ON THE INSIDE OF THE WINDOW IF YOU HAVE WINDOW FILM/TINT! The abrasive may destroy the window film/tint.

This stuff really works great at removing all the haze and crap that builds up on the outside of your windshield over time.

Enjoy!!

bmerjorge21
09-18-2001, 11:26 AM
I haven`t tried this stuff, but I`ve been preaching about Bon Ami which is a very similar product for awhile!! I use the cleaning cake rather than the powder because I imagine it makes quite a mess!!

BradE
09-18-2001, 11:32 AM
Actually, the powder is not bad. For side windows that are flat, just put the powder on your towel or applicator and spray the water on it there and then wipe on the window. It leave no residue on the window at all, so it works quite well.

imported_Ronin
09-18-2001, 01:13 PM
the Bon Ami powder is great, but can damage paint that it comes in contact with. I often wanted to use this product but feared washing it from my windscreen would undoubtedly cause it to contact my paint.:eek:

bmerjorge21
09-18-2001, 02:23 PM
I`ve had no problems with paint contact. No kidding about the powder, I definitely though it`d be messy.

BradE
09-18-2001, 03:22 PM
Dave,

The trick is, use very little powder and a good amount of water. A little of the powder goes a long way. With a small amount of powder (size of a dime) I can do half of the windshield.

Glozz
09-18-2001, 04:01 PM
That this will remove the tracks left by the windshield wipers that most of use develope? That would be fantastic if it did.

BradE
09-18-2001, 04:24 PM
jazzyjack,

Yes it will remove it.

Glozz
09-18-2001, 10:10 PM
I`ll give it a shot this Saturday on the wife`s 4Runner. Thanks for the tip!!!!!

texaggie1
09-19-2001, 05:04 AM
I tried it on the rx7`s water spots and no change:mad:

BradE
09-19-2001, 09:20 AM
banzaitoyota,

To remove water spots you must use vinegar. The acids in the vinegar will loosen the mineral deposits of the water spots, and help remove them.

texaggie1
09-19-2001, 09:00 PM
I have used straight vinegar and the spots are still there:confused: used 3m polishing compound with lambswool and removed most of it

imported_Roadrunner
12-26-2009, 10:22 AM
... old, dried, HARD wax and polish deposits?

Is there any tip, or trick, better than 91% IPA?

Just wondering if I`m missing anything in this department... I had to do a car last week that was full of old wax lines:devil:... stuff was hard as a rock.:(

The Dawn wash didn`t touch it or loosen it. I ended up going over the car with pure 91% and a thin microfiber and Qtips... took 3 hours to very carefully remove all this old wax without scratching anything.

Is there a better way???????????????

Thanks in advance!:clap:

Tuck91
12-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I really like using tooth picks. But I am always very careful not to scratch the paint.

TOGWT
12-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Most waxes and polymer sealants are formulated to be detergent resistant

Like will remove like, apply wax and wipe off immediately. I think PAC sells a product(s) that will remove wax