PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Luster

andrew43
09-17-2001, 04:41 PM
Well, I decided it was time to strip the wax off of my Integra and try out some Zaino, so I did it yesterday.

About a month ago, I noticed some scratches on the roof of my car which I subsequently yelled at the wife about (figured she put her purse up there and dragged it, based upon the location of the scratches, her habit of putting things on the roof, and the way the scratches looked). Well, I went at it with some 3M Perfect It and the scratches came out way to easy. This is when I realized I was a complete idiot and the the "scratches" were actually very dry and hard wax that was never buffed off! I closely inspected the car and found a few other places where this had occurred. Instead of using the somewhat brutal Perfect It, I decided to try clay.

The clay did not succeed at removing the OLD wax, even with multiple passes. So, I decided to try an experiment. I put a dab of Zaino z1 on the old wax and it basically dissolved immediately. Found a little road tar on my rocker panel that the dawn wash didnt remove. A dab of z1 and it was gone.

So, if you bothered to read my worthless dribble so far, the conclusion I came up with was...zaino z1 has cleaning properties for sure. Probably not abrasive, but chemical solvent action. Must be those aliphatic hydrocarbons. Since z1 is marketed as a paint "conditioner", I guess it isnt all that surprising that it has a paint cleaning effect.

DETAILKING
09-17-2001, 05:15 PM
it will disolve tar though if enough of it is used. U usually put on such a thin coat that it`s hard to get any heavy cleaning out of it, so it`s best to clean the car first and prep before zaino. Don`t u love how Z1 flash dries?!

Koyaanisqatsi
09-17-2001, 05:37 PM
The smell alone is strong. Doesn`t surprise me that it removes tar.

ISLANDSBEST
09-17-2001, 09:02 PM
The experimentation that Yell00ITR did is what we need to keep advancing our knowledge. Yes, we have worked out some good procedures and sorted out the good from the bad products to a large extent. But, there will always be progress to be made.

I have noticed that when I apply Z2 or Z5 that things that a Z7 wash did not remove come off. This might be primarily because of the focused rubbing action involved in apply Z2/5, as opposed to the lighter, more general action involved in running a wash mitt over a car. Or, it could be the Z2/5 itself, or a combo. DK, or anyone else, do you have any speculation?

bmw5541
12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
It is a balmy 33 degrees here in Northern NJ today and I was inspired by Bill. I just couldn`t take the filth on my car anymore, so Igot out the ONR and 2 buckets and proceeded to wash the car. I then put on a coat of BF Spray Sealant (put it on the windows as well....I told you that you inspired me Bill). I also put on a coat of Wheel Wax....what can I say Bill.

Looks great now, even though it is supposed to rain over the next few days. At least I can look at a clean car for a little while.:Dancing Dot:

grungy
12-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Well I wish I could do the same here in Tx, but the wind is 15-30mph:chillpill:

Old Pirate
12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I`ll do mine soon. Luster is the man!

imported_Luster
12-24-2009, 06:34 PM
It is a balmy 33 degrees here in Northern NJ today and I was inspired by Bill. I just couldn`t take the filth on my car anymore, so Igot out the ONR and 2 buckets and proceeded to wash the car. I then put on a coat of BF Spray Sealant (put it on the windows as well....I told you that you inspired me Bill). I also put on a coat of Wheel Wax....what can I say Bill.

I`ll do mine soon. Luster is the man!

UNITED WE STAND!!!!!! :clap: Insane isn`t it? :out::devil:

You wouldn`t believe the weather here today! The BIG winter storm from Denver hit us today. 18 degrees, heavy sleat/snow, total 4-8". Not a good day for travel (or Detailing!!!):out:

Old Pirate
12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Stay safe Bill and have a Merry Christmas...........:Christmas Hat:

imported_Luster
12-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Stay safe Bill and have a Merry Christmas...........:Christmas Hat:

Thanks Angelo! Merry Christmas to you and your family also. We`re not planning to go anywhere tonight. Get a fire going in the fireplace, watch some movies, eat some popcorn..... ride out the storm!!!:wink:

(I can hear the ice pellets against the north side of the house!!!):mad:

Street Dreams
12-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Looks great now, even though it is supposed to rain over the next few days. At least I can look at a clean car for a little while.:Dancing Dot:

Did that same process earlier this week, brilliant. Question, did you find the BF spray sealant attracted dust?

bmw5541
12-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Did that same process earlier this week, brilliant. Question, did you find the BF spray sealant attracted dust?

When I did my complete fall detail last month, I applied the Spray Sealant betweeh each coat of BFWD. I now applied it after a much needed wash tro help prolong the protection of the BFWD and 845IW. I have not had any issues with dust due to the Spray Sealant. My car is a DD that is outside 24/7, so I might not be the best person to ask about the dust. Right now the shine on the car is just rediculous. It looks better then ever. Too bad the weather will be changing for the worse tomorrow.

Enjoy the holiday to all:Santa Smiley: