PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs Vinyl Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

boywonder
09-16-2001, 09:51 PM
I stopped by Pep Boys to get some SMR today to get rid of the swirl marks on the Maxima. As I applied the SMR, I noticed that I was getting more swirls on top of the ones I already had. After I saw that, I stopped and put everything up so I could find out what went wrong.

I am guessing that the terry cloth towel and/or applicator had something to do with it. Maybe there was some left over Perfect-It left on my car from when I did the wet sanding.

Can someone give me a hand at getting rid of these swirls?

JasonC8301
09-16-2001, 10:00 PM
What kind of applicator did you use? What type of terry cloth did you use?

Use only linear motions to work in the SMR. That is from bumper to bumper. Apply some product to a foam applicator and work the SMR with medium to light pressure in linear motions until it is almost tacky/dry and buff out. The take a 50/50 alcohol water mixture and spray and wipe on the surface you just did. If there are still swirls, do more applications this way. If it takes a turn for the worse I would really like to see this in person.

Hope this helps,

Jason

boywonder
09-16-2001, 10:20 PM
I used a terrycloth wax applicator. I also got some terrycloth towels from Pep Boys.

JasonC8301
09-16-2001, 10:33 PM
I only use the terry cloth applicator pads for limited situations now, but I only use foam to apply 3M polishes and abrasives. So get some quality foam applicators and put the terry cltih applicators to other uses, like applying stuff onto tires.

As for the terry cloths from pep boys, I think it says made in Pakistan or something outside the USA. It is not all cotton, it has polyester and can cause your scratching/hazing. I never use this on paint, only in door jambs, wheels, wheel wells, tires, engine, all grungy jobs.

I only use 100% USA made towels on paint made by either Cannon or Fieldcrest and either MT`s or high quality MF`s.

Jason

boywonder
09-16-2001, 11:10 PM
I might try that tomorrow. I also wet sanded some of the touch up paint on my car and used FI to get rid of the scratches. But I might have to hit it with FI again.

YoSteve
09-16-2001, 11:47 PM
what did the fi2 do to the swirls when you used it

who else has gotten more swirls because of smr?

boywonder
09-17-2001, 03:43 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve.Com [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>what did the fi2 do to the swirls when you used it

who else has gotten more swirls because of smr? [/b]</blockquote>
I found out that it was my method of application (SMR) that might have caused the additional swirls. I am going to try using a foam applicator instead of terry to apply it. Also, I am going to do that for my FI II as well. I still have hazing from when I wet sanded.

boywonder
09-18-2001, 04:40 PM
I think I am going to ask a friend of mine with a rotary buffer to hit the car with some PI II and some SMR. Then I am going to have him do 2 x AIO and 3x SG.:D

BradE
09-18-2001, 04:48 PM
PrinzII,

No offense to your friend, but make sure your friend knows what he is doing with that rotary buffer. I dont mean to sound like an ass, but you can do a lot of damage with a rotary buffer if you dont know how to use it.

jpd1228
09-18-2001, 05:45 PM
Make sure you apply it firmly and in a circle motion. You are trying to fill in the swirl marks, don`t worry about making more swirl marks, I have used this method about 6-7 times and never have had any negative results.

Have fun.

boywonder
09-19-2001, 10:37 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>PrinzII,

No offense to your friend, but make sure your friend knows what he is doing with that rotary buffer. I dont mean to sound like an ass, but you can do a lot of damage with a rotary buffer if you dont know how to use it. [/b]</blockquote>
He works for a body shop and has several years of experience running those.

Don2000g
09-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Prinz, you will find that many of us only use foam pads. I`ve never had problems with them. They are much safer in my opinion and apply the product much more evenly. You also use less product with foam.

ISLANDSBEST
09-21-2001, 01:14 AM
Don, do you use open-cell foam (i.e., the kind that will absorb water?) or closed cell-foam (does not absord and hold water)

boywonder
09-22-2001, 08:05 AM
I am going to raid Pep Boys and Target this morning for a couple of items. One of which is a pack of foam applicators. The other is a California Water Blade. Target is much simpler. I am going for a bottle of Gold Class Shampoo.

I am thinking of pulling away from the chamois because my chamois is now leaving lint all over the car.

GreyGoose
12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Greetings all, first timer here.

I do something that some of you may find abhorrent... I take may Jeep out and purposely get mud and dirt on it! Now that usually isn`t a problem, I clean it up using normal storebought stuff and it`s been okay. But now i`ve run into a problem that i can`t solve.

I went through a bunch of dirty puddles and got the Jeep entirely soaked. Then I didn`t do anything for a week. Finally, I washed it and the paint is fine, but my fenders and bumpers are thrashed. These fenders are that black plastic stuff, and they`re very big and noticeable (this is an 09 Jeep Wrangler).

The dirty water soaked in and I can`t clean them. Here`s what I`ve tried: Armor All (the regular stuff), two different types of vinyl cleaner i got from a detailer years ago (I`m not in touch with him anymore) and finally some Turtle Wax Ice.

The fenders look great during application, but as soon as it dries, they go back to dull and drab and dirty. The Turtle Ice had some impact, but it`s hard to tell during application if it`s working or not. I`m at a loss.

Can someone give me suggestions on what product to use, and where to get it? I`m a total newb here, so i won`t know any TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms!). I do very much like your site here, the 2 buckets is an amazing idea that i never heard of but am now incorporating.

Thank you very much!