PDA

View Full Version : NEW Meguiar`s G110V2 Dual-Action Machine Polisher in Stock

Pages : [1] 2

imported_sarge
09-16-2001, 05:49 PM
Friday afternoon I applied Klasse AIO to a freshly washed Beemer I purchased 3 weeks ago. I waited until Saturday affternoon (24hrs) to apply its first layer of KSG.

I applied everything by the book and it was overcast both days. AIO was applied with a foam pad with a small spray of MQD. KSG was applied on a fresh foam pad and wiped off with a MF towel.

The car looked beautiful after. Just gorgeous.

This is where the story goes South. I had to park outside in the street due to road construction that did not alow me to park in the gargage overnight. The temptaure dropped to from 70 degrees in the afternoon to 50 degrees overnight.

When I woke up this morning it looked like dew was all over the car and then had dried when the sun came up. With the dust from the outside, it left a ring from each water drop, the size of a nickel all over the car. The car looks like it has leopard spots.

I tried washing it and the spots are still there. I tried QD`ing it and the spots are still there. I tried applying AIO to a small area and that helped a little, but the spots are clearly seen in the reflection from the sun.

What happened?! How could a water spot and road dust etch into the finish?

How can I correct this and restore the deep wet look I had (without the spots!) before I went to bed?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am just sick.

Jeff

Northville, MI

imported_theamcguy
09-16-2001, 06:39 PM
...hey bro, you live right near me!!! I would try washing with dawn or something strong like that. If it dosent remove them then try a clay bar. If that dosent do it then try some polish or in the worst case fine cut rubbing compound. i think the polish will work thoug. I like 3M`s Finess it II. as to why this happened, I couldn`t tell ya! Maybe the sun, something in the air, never had that prob before. If your`e using mothers QD, stay away because I belive it has silicones in it which will affect the bonding. Good Luck!

imported_sarge
09-16-2001, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your comments. I hope there are more.

It is actually Meguiar`s QD spray.

If I Dawn wash it will it effect the AIO or KSG?

BradE
09-16-2001, 07:22 PM
Jeff,

I don`t think the water spots etched into the finish. What you are probably seeing is mineral deposits from the water once it dried on your car.

For water spots, use vinegar to remove them. Pick a spot that is noticable, then take some white vinegar rub it on the spot and wipe off. The spot should be gone. If not 100% gone, try a second application, and that should solve your water spot problem.

While the vinegar will remove the water spots, it will also remove your Klasse. So you must re-do the Klasse on the car.

Good Luck!!

imported_sarge
09-17-2001, 10:29 AM
Okay, I tried the vinegar.

It improved the situation for sure, but has not totally corrected the problem. It is not as noticeable, but when you look at the right angle against the sun you can still see the fine circle outline against the finish.

What should I try now? Step up to the 3M SMR?

BradE
09-17-2001, 10:31 AM
You can try a second application of the vinegar and that may do the trick, or step up to the SMR.

Good Luck!!

ALM
09-17-2001, 11:30 AM
I think the Klasse will have protected your paint from etching from the water spots.

Try another vinegar wash, if that does work then go to the SMR. Its the only other way I can think of that would remove the water spots and your Klasse :(.

imported_sarge
09-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Would a blitz wax after Klasse help alleviate this (water spots) from happening again?

ALM
09-17-2001, 11:38 AM
Thats a good question, i really can`t give you a straight answer. But what I can tell you is that I have about 4x coats of Blitz on my Integra and it still water spotted. Really all Blitz does is add dpeth of shine, not so much as protection.

I think the absoulte best defense against watter spotting is the usage of a good QD such as FI.

BradE
09-17-2001, 11:44 AM
To prevent water spotting, you have to get the beaded water off the car before it has a chance to dry. Once it has dried on there it can be a major pain to remove.

imported_sarge
09-17-2001, 11:50 AM
Is it possible the KSG really wasn`t hard enough and that is why the water wrecked the finish?

The real question is......why have I never had a problem of water etching before on my 2000 Mercury Black Sable that I never treated with anything, and could have cared less about. It has been parked outside for 2 years.

imported_Pats300zx
09-17-2001, 11:54 AM
contaminants from the construction, perhaps?

BradE
09-17-2001, 11:56 AM
Even a fully cured layer of SG can still get water spots. I am sure there is water spotting and etching on your other car. When you apply something like Klasse the gloss is so high that water spots stand out because the gloss is lower where the spots are. When the gloss of the spots does not match the rest of the car, it stands out.

DETAILKING
09-17-2001, 12:00 PM
Here is what Sal says about water spots:

Nothing in the industry will prevent water spots or acid rain etching...

Polish/Wax can not guard off what is in the water. Water spots are remnants of the minerals that was in the water that evaporated on the surface. It depends on the water and by in part what state you live in and what chemicals are in the rain water.

You can not let water evaporate on the surface, no matter what kind or brand of

wax or polish you are using. Never wash a car, especially dark colors in

direct sunlight. Try to wash your car in the morning or late afternoon or

evening...

Never wash or use cold water on a hot paint surface.

You must dry the car very well after washing. Another great tip is to

use a Toro 215mph

Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even

touching the paint surface....

If you car gets caught in the rain and the rain drop evaporate on the

surface, immediate action must follow by by either washing the car or use the Z-6

to remove fresh water spots, that is one of the uses of Z-6.

Most `fresh` mineral deposits (water spotting, acid rain, etc.) can be

removed with Z-7 Show Car Wash or Z-6 Gloss Enhancer spray. If they have

been on the car for a while or Z-6 and Z-7 will not remove them. Use

household white vinegar full strength. This is acetic acid and will

loosen and remove the mineral deposits and not harm the paint surface. Most of

the time,

the water spot etching you see is simply the hardened mineral deposit,

giving the illusion of etching into the paint. Believe me, when these

mineral deposits harden. They become really tough and hard to remove.

The trick is to not give them a chance to harden.

BradE
09-17-2001, 12:05 PM
What DETAILKING posted is a good explaination of what to do about water spots. Our moderator here, David, also wrote a article about water spots that I think you will find very informative. Here is the article http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=133 (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=133`)