PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Clay Bar Your Personal Vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2 3

YoSteve
09-15-2001, 04:00 PM
I would like for us as an autopian community to yes and no certain dressings as far as browning is concerned.

It is typical that both silicone and petrolium distillated type products may aid in browning tires.

Let`s go over the facts first: Many use tire dressing frequently and do not see any browning? Why is this? it`s becuase many use it frequently. Browning will not occur if you apply whatever dressing every week becuase you will always have some sort of "dressing" on your tires at all times.

I however do not apply tire stuff every week and so when it wears off by a week and a half, I get browning. Also, it may be a little more difficult to assess cause browning is aided by the sun (and it`s fall).

One product that I have tried that causes browning IF you don`t apply it every week. Does 303, vinylex, BO, Zaino, whatever... <strong class=`bbc`>The question is, what does the rubber look like the second the tire is no longer under the protection of the dressing (ie it has worn off)?[/b]

Again if you use any product every week you may not experience browning cause you`ll always just have the product on your tires. Thanks, Steve

rmccall6
09-15-2001, 04:08 PM
Vinylex caused no browning in my experience of using it on tires and then a fwe weeks later...

jkochis
09-15-2001, 06:56 PM
This topic was heavily discussed prior to your arrival Steve. A search of the archives will yield a massive thread on it. I dont remember if a conclusion was ever reached. ;-)

ALM
09-15-2001, 07:20 PM
Steve, based upon my experience with BO it doesnt seem to leave any browning on my tires. Althought my tires have lots of little rides on the side walls so that may have something to do with the amount of sunlight they are exposed to.

BTW where`s my mini MF towel? I gotta buy some, but if the service is going to be this slow i might as well weave them myself! :D

YoSteve
09-15-2001, 08:08 PM
your mini-mf has already been sent to your company (without a last name), if you don`t get it by wednesday, e-mail me again yosteveweb@yahoo.com (``) and will send it again to NJ

JasonC8301
09-16-2001, 10:47 PM
I ran out of good tire dressing at my godmothers house except for Armour All Extreme Tire Shine. I sprayed on one coat and spread it with a Eagle One Tire Swipe. I then applied some Blitz and let it haze over for an hour. I then buffed out the Blitz and everyone said the paint was gorgeous and wanting me to do their cars, I said next time when I pack my full kit, I just had Blitz, OG Show off, and some applicators and towels.

I then gave the tires a few swipes with just the tire swipe.

This was on September 2, 2001. Yesterday on August 13, 2001 I saw the car again. It had water spotting and light dirt on it from several rain storms and such. I had no time to wash it.

I did however inspect the tires. Still black with a slight gloss, more so that 303, but a little less than Vinylex. I am impressed.

The tires were passenger firestones. I will get more info the next time I see the tires.

I still can`t believe the tires, black with slight gloss after two weeks and some rain thrown in. I really like.

Looks like I am going to use this Armour all Extreme Tire shine for a while on this car now.

Jason

YoSteve
09-17-2001, 12:40 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I sprayed on one coat and spread it with a Eagle One Tire Swipe. I then applied some Blitz and let it haze over for an hour. [/b]</blockquote>
Blitz on tires!!!! I realized what you were saying after re-reading it :) (BTW, you`re not allowed to answer an of my threads, cause I want to pass you up :D)

ISLANDSBEST
09-17-2001, 01:34 AM
No browning problem, so far, with the Zaino Tire Gloss.

69-912
09-17-2001, 10:24 AM
I have had major browning problems using Meguairs Endurance

I am about to switch over to 303.<strong class=`bbc`>Anyone had any browning problems with 303? [/b]

SuperBee364
09-17-2001, 10:38 AM
I`ve never had a problem with 303 browning. Probably because after a couple rains or washes it seems like it`s gone anyway. I believe it`s water based but could be wrong. Try this, before you dress your tires squirt some EF HIGH INTENSITY CLEANER on and scrub them with a tire brush. Rinse em immediately after scrubbing so it doesn`t leavy any residue behind. Then lay on the 303 with a foam tire swipe. After I do that process it gives me a smile ear to ear with the results.

jkochis
09-17-2001, 02:43 PM
YoSteve,

About a month ago I used your favorite dash protection on my tires and reported streaky results. A couple weeks later and they looked pretty good, and the streaking was gone, nice low matte sheen. Well here about a month later with no reapplication of any type, they are a disgusting brown. Much worse that what I have experienced in the past. For reference, these are BF Goodrich truck tires. I know you mentioned you tried it on your tires. I hope you have had better luck.

RH

PS. On the other hand, I recently tried it on the truck dash with nice results.

YoSteve
09-19-2001, 03:38 AM
RH, the tires of the saturn (two weeks ago) I put it on are still black. didn`t get streaks in the inital application as you did. On my car it is still black, but I reapply frequently. I`m going to try a few other things, probably vinylex among other things before probalby giving up and just reapplying endurance until the bottle finishes up.

good to hear you got good dash results that`s what its for :)

FYI, my fave stuff is Black Magic Dashboard Protectant Semi-gloss. (don`t get it by any other name than specifically semi-gloss)

bmerjorge21
09-19-2001, 10:40 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by YoSteve.Com [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> FYI, my fave stuff is Black Magic Dashboard Protectant Semi-gloss. (don`t get it by any other name than specifically semi-gloss) [/b]</blockquote>What`s the difference between that, and the regular dash protectant. BTW, One Grand told me that stuff was solvent based, and therefore bad news!! I`m curious though!!

YoSteve
09-19-2001, 04:33 PM
Black Magic Semigloss Dashboard Protectant is water based with none of the bad silicone. The other professional protectant is a waterless silicone formula. It`s the wrong stuff, kinda like putting tire shine on your dash (yuck).

imported_Luster
12-20-2009, 10:29 PM
How Often Do You Clay Bar Your Personal Vehicle?

I usually do mine twice a year... once in spring, once in fall.