PDA

View Full Version : Is this the same.....

tsolomon
09-15-2001, 03:51 PM
A couple of days ago when my white Durango was dirty I noticied a glob of what appeared to be axel grease or something like it on the rubber door guard on the drivers door, I took an old towel and wiped it off and did not think anymore about it. Today when I started to wash it I noticied that this white stripe now has a yellow stain on it and I can`t get it off. I did try some paint cleaner but no luck. I know that petroleum products will yellow white paint but for some unknown reason I just did not think to wash the veh right away but it may have already been stained.. Can anyone help me with this? Foot note: I do have two coats of wax on the veh at present time..:confused:

YoSteve
09-15-2001, 04:05 PM
many of us, when wax residue gets on plastic valences, use peanut butter (yes peanut butter, but not chunky kind) to remove the residue. It works well. You might also want to try rubbing alcohol too. hth-Steve

Ron Ketcham
09-15-2001, 09:33 PM
Here is a possiblity.

First, the paint systems today are very porus.

Second, they are derived from hydorcarbons as the base materials.

What attached, according to your post, was a heavy hydorcarbon based material.

It slowly fractured (melted) and entered the poristy of the clearcoat.

Dependant of amount of time since it first was introduced to the clear, the temperatures during this time, the additives in the hydorcarbons, and add to these factors other unknown conditions, it may not be possible to "suck" them out of the clear.

In case you are not aware of the poristy of a clearcoat, I suggest you go to www.autoint.com and under the Tech Tips Section, take a look at a highly magnified modern paint system. This cross section photo is of the complete layers of a the paint film applied by all vehicle manufactured and is magnified around 5000X.

When you see this, all that I am saying should make more sense.

It may be possible, but very small chance of being successful, to "draw" the materials out of the substrate.

Since it is a hydorcarbon based, it will require the use of an alkaline based solution to emulsify the hydrocarbon residue and break them apart.

Then, perhaps the alcohol may work as a "drying" agent to pull the emulsified hydrocarbons from the sponge of the clear.

There are no "certain and one fits all" solutions to this concern.

Sorry, but I can only share what I am aware of based upon my experience with this sort of issue.

:eek:

Ron Ketcham
09-15-2001, 09:57 PM
Since that trim piece is painted to match the metal painted parts, it has elastimeric additives in the base and clear.

This creates "twice" the poristy factor of the picture I referred you to on our website.

That, you will have to picture in your mind, as we have never taken the time or spent the substansial funds to have a magnified picture taken of a part painted with the parts that have this "flex-agent" added to the base/clear.

Sorry, forgot to mention the difference of these sort of parts and the paint system used.

:o

imported_Todd
09-16-2001, 12:07 AM
Ron,

Your responses remain as obtuse and enigmatic as a biblical prophet. I read your replies twice and my limited intelligence can not grasp what your "take home message" is.

What does the "poristy (sic) of clearcoat" have to do with removing the white stain on the Durango`s plastic and rubber trim? I may have missed something here, but did Jerry mention a clearcoat paint or trim finish? How could you tell from his decsription that the stain was a "heavy hydrocarbon based material?" (A description that fits my father-in-law very well.)

For us simple-minded Southern folks, could you just tell us how to remove the stain? :)

Dean

SuperBee364
09-16-2001, 12:46 AM
Rather than rattle off the dna string of a left handed monkey. Just try a solvent of some type like finger nail polish remover. It has worked for me on numerous occasions. And on the rarest occasion on beater mobiles I use a dab o gasoline. But don`t tell anybody. Or you could buy some Eimann Fabrik HI Intensity Cleaner (and support this site). I love that stuff. It seems strong enough to me to take the white off rice without breaking down the dna string of the said rice.

Grease On

Grease Off

Ron Ketcham
09-16-2001, 08:47 AM
At first I thought you were asking about on black rubber trim and then could not understand why this was a concern.

Then, since your post was not clear as to the actual part, but you referred to what sounded like a painted molding part, figured it must be a painted trim part.

That is a much different issue and therefore provided the answer as to why the discoloring would be difficult to remove.

The reason for the various references to the compostition of the paint materials was so you may be able to understand the complexity of attempting to remove the staining.

If I ascertained the correct part, sorry, but those are the issues. However, if it is a black, non painted molded part, that is also another issue.

I am not a weekend detailer, but a professional in the automotive industry and a consultant and supplier to DCX among others. The type of response I provided is the way it is done professionally, complete and with explainations and a diganois of the condition.

Sorry if I offended you, will refrain from any further responses to your posts.

:cool:

tsolomon
09-16-2001, 11:59 AM
Thanks for everyones reply and I am not offended about anything.The part that I was referring to was the trim piece on the drivers side of the veh that helps protect against door nicks. It is a strip that is probably made of a composite of plastic/rubber and is the same color as the veh (white)

Justin Murphy
12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Is this product the same as Four Star`s UPP?
Label looks different and it`s on close out.........
http://www.properautocare.com/fostpopase.html

Old Pirate
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
As far as I know it`s not Justin.