PDA

View Full Version : Newb question - Halogen light stand

Pages : [1] 2

We're Here
09-15-2001, 07:21 AM
I just destroyed my next to the last mitt trying to make a dent in Meguiar`s Endurance tire treatment I recently applied - I didn`t make much of a dent and I`m certain that the stuff I did manage to move will never come out of the mitt! Obviously I`m in the market for some new wash mitts and I wonder if anyone has any favorites?

Too, I must admit that I occasionally use a Cello synthetic sponge - usually just to get the bulk of the water off of glass after a wash. I certain these sponges are taboo on paint but can anyone confirm that from experience?

I can confirm that a given tire treatment noticably varies from not only tire brand-to-tire brand but also due to tire age. I recently lost a tire on our ML-320 and replaced it with a fresh pair (a pair due to the AWD) and the finish on the two year old front tires is flatter than the newbies on the rear. BTW, the treatment looks much nicer on my WRX`s new Bridgestones than the ML`s new Dunlops - I guess it would be the other way around if one prefers glossy tires.

Thanks ... Alan

bmerjorge21
09-15-2001, 11:41 AM
Alan,

I`d reccomend using separate sponges/brushes for the tires and wheels. I use a cello sponge for my wheels, and a siff nylon bristle brush for my tires. For mitts I like the cotton chenille ones from AutoZone. I use a squeege to get the bulk of the water off the glass after a wash. Works well. Good luck.

BradE
09-15-2001, 12:30 PM
Viking cotton chenille mitts are great. You can find them at AutoZone or WalMart. They have a thick pile, and the seams are on the inside of the mitt (less chance for scratching). They are $2.99 at AutoZone and WalMart, dont let the price fool you they are one of the best mitts out there.

YoSteve
09-15-2001, 04:12 PM
depending on the size of your vehicle, they have products such as chenille on a stick and a chenille covered sponges. I really like the hybrid approach of combining stuff we don`t use with stuff we do use :) you can get them anywhere, one think I don`t know is if it doesn`t say 100% cotton on the packaging yet it looks like white 100% cotton, is it? hth-Steve

hopsgt500
12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I am going to get a halogen light stand and was wondering if there was anything I need to look for? Any suggestions? Thanks all :driving:

imported_Flash Gordon
12-20-2009, 07:39 AM
I would look for one with sturdy legs. When they get tipped over, you can just about gaurantee the bulbs will get knocked out. Also, try to find one with a detachable handle. They also make chargable halogens if you plan on doing some mobile work :driving:

hopsgt500
12-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Flash :Christmas Hat:

imported_wfedwar
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I have a huge neon green set I got from Home Depot a couple of years ago. 1400 Watts, two lenses each with a 500 and 200 W bulb. Nice tall stand. I tried to find it on Homedepot.com, but didn`t see it. It looks like they`ve gone toward fluorescent lights for a lot of these. That`s probably good because of heat and longevity of the bulbs, but in general they aren`t that powerful (look at equivalent Watts since fluorescents are more efficient). I like mine because it can be extended to probably about 7` off the floor, so I can have it shine down on the roof of most vehicles. Hope this helps.

Billy

TOGWT
12-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Moveable Metal Halide Light

An alternative that gives brighter clearer light and runs at just 150watts so you can use them close to the job Not only this they will run easily from a generator as well as your polisher and are free standing. These metal halide lights give a clear white light that shows up imperfections even in daylight without affecting the colour ?The Polishing Company

Rechargeable Cordless

Tooluxe 130 LED Rechargeable cordless work light with Stand -130 individual pure white, super-bright LEDs eliminate shadows without blinding glare, illuminate your work area with this rechargeable cordless LED work light
130 LED lights lasting for more than 100,000 hours; 3.5 hours continuous use with one charge Generate high light output with low energy consumption and minimal heat with LED lights both 110V AC and 12V DC car chargers included; built-in overcharge and low battery protection Amazon

Street Dreams
12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I have had a few different types of standing halogens, so far the overall best ones I have used are these...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=115751-52757-WL5015HDPT-L&lpage=none

I like these because they dont have screw in parts to lock in place, everything is done with clips so you can adjust quickly. 1300watts is pretty nice also, and you can adjust the output.

imported_Bunky
12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I have some halogen`s from Lowe`s. The drawback is the lights do not tilt down...just up.

imported_wfedwar
12-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I have some halogen`s from Lowe`s. The drawback is the lights do not tilt down...just up.

Mine were the same way. I took mine off the stand where they pivot and mounted them the other direction. I hope that makes sense. Now they can tilt up and down.

Old Pirate
12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I have 2 each of these: Craftsman 1000 watt tripod worklight.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/00914204000.jpg

and also my Brinkman.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/800-2222-0.gif

Great combo of lights to use........:wizard:

imported_Bunky
12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Mine were the same way. I took mine off the stand where they pivot and mounted them the other direction. I hope that makes sense. Now they can tilt up and down.

I did look at that but did not get very far. I will relook at it again.

hopsgt500
12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Awesome, thanks all for the replies. This is truly a great place for help. :clap: