PDA

View Full Version : whats in your.....bag

Pages : [1] 2

Lowejackson
09-14-2001, 10:06 AM
This may be a really stupid question but what is the significance of beading versus sheeting? Is this really the best method of analysis for paint protection?

Steven

Alfa 164

Autoglym polish, glaze & Blitz

bmerjorge21
09-14-2001, 10:16 AM
Personally, I like to judge surface protection based on feel (slickness). I wouldn`t say that beading has no significance, but it certainly isn`t the only method that can be used.

mx5
09-14-2001, 11:22 AM
If anyone can find an article from a reputable source on the internet about the significance of beading on a car, please post the link when you find it. Let`s end this debate once and for all.

DETAILKING
09-14-2001, 12:00 PM
you can spray a silicone oil based QDer on paint and that will make it slick....but it will offer no real durability, protection against sap, water spots, and UV...

bmerjorge21
09-14-2001, 12:08 PM
DK, how do you judge??

DETAILKING
09-14-2001, 02:14 PM
very few products were designed to "sheet." The ones that do, have questioned durability...as u have to strip off everything to attain that state.

I like to see water bead. It makes sense to me that a hard protective shell over your paint would bead water.....aka....reject water. Now this is not the only way to tell, as new paint beads water. You have to look at the shape and size of the beads and observe how that changes as the protectant diminishes protection. Gloss and slickness are other factors, but they all have to be judged hand in hand to really get a good idea of durability...........

rstype
09-14-2001, 05:55 PM
I do not like using "beading" as a way of testing how long the product lasts. I prefer how long the shine lasts.

YoSteve
09-14-2001, 07:36 PM
I see beading as quality control. If for 2 month of blitz you get beads like crazy, and then by the 3rd month the beads start to be noticably dicipate, it`s safe to assume that whatever was causing the beading is no longer there to cause the same beading. Now a carnuba added QD may help beading too.

For Klasse it may not be so easy, because sometimes you get no beading right after you use it (I wouldn`t know cause I use blitz really) so mark what your situation looks like and as soon as things start to change, maybe that`s when klasse is no longer in effect. (this may be to hard to judge on just klasse so I would just Klasse regularly, twice a year, and no worry about it) otherwise I too would use feel and shine as quality control.

imported_glfahlc
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
going on a road trip to a warm climate for a week. what do you keep in the trunk to keep the ride clean in between rain showers and such...

imported_gewb
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
going on a road trip to a warm climate for a week. what do you keep in the trunk to keep the ride clean in between rain showers and such...

Did that this summer. Went to Target and bought the 3oz bottles (for flight carry on stuff) and 3oz spray bottles - packed:
> APC (8:1) spray
> Interior trim detailer spray
> Exterior QD spray
> Tire shine squeeze
> Rinseless wash (bought a gallon of distilled H2O at wherever) squeeze

Put it all in a one gallon ziplock bag.
Fout MF cloths in another gallon ziplock bag.

Put it all in a 6 qt bucket from the Dollar Store.

And yes I DID need all of that stuff during my ten day trip.

Regards,
Gary

Old Pirate
12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Well first off, you need to stop by ProperAutoCare in Tampa Bay ( if your coming to Florida) and we`ll make sure you have everything you will need to maintain your vehicle on your vacation.......:Christmas Hat:

imported_Luster
12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
1 plastic bucket
1 small bottle ONR
1 Absorber
10 General Purpose MF`s
1 bottle Quick Detail Spray
1 bottle Tire Dressing
1 bottle Glass Cleaner
1 handheld 12v Vacuum
1 bottle Interior Detail Spray

As Gary said... put it all in the bucket (or detail bag) and you`re good to go!!!

Have a good trip!:wink:

imported_gewb
12-17-2009, 08:26 PM

I replied that I used what I packed but didn`t mention that I had to buy stuff OTC after arriving at my destination...here is the story. I hope your trip isn`t memorable for this kind of reason!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In August I packed a travel kit to keep Nelly (my `09 Pearl White Sonata) clean on the trip ten day trip - I packed a small amount of "daily detail stuff": 6 MF cloths, several oz. rinseless wash, interior detail spray, tire dressing, etc. Before leaving I put on another coat of wax, dressed all of the rubber seals, dressed the tires/wheel wells and detailed the engine compartment. Nelly looked great!

But nothing could have prepared me for the nightmare that awaited Nelly.

On the morning of the second day we had a heavy rain storm. OK, not so bad as the water just blew off the wax at highway speeds - until I entered Missouri on I-70. The rain came down hard onto 75 miles of freshly paved asphalt. All of the oils floated to the surface of the road and the 70 mph traffic (idiot drivers!) emulsified the oils and created a cloud that enveloped Nelly.

EVERY square inch of any surface exposed to the outside was coated with this oily goo. To add insult to injury, the sun came out for a few hours and baked this stuff on the finish.

That evening I couldn`t even attempt to clean Nelly as it was once again pouring rain and lightening pounded around me while under a tornado watch. At this time I had no idea what the true condition of Nelly`s skin was like.

The next morning I had a chance to evaluate the damage...it was bad...a brown film covered everything, dark brown streaks made the hood look like a zebra, the door wells were a mess, all of the glass was oiled over and the engine compartment was coated with this film of oil. Touching the car left a light brown oily film on my finger and brushing clothing against it did the same.

I took Nelly to a high pressure car wash ("wand" type). Most of us know about the strong soaps used in those places...well, after $5 worth of quarters I gave up - it didn`t even TOUCH that cr@p!

A couple hours later the skies opened up again only this time it was worse - came pounding down in sheets - visibility was about 150 feet. That didn`t wash off a bit of that stuff! I continued to my final destination.

The next morning I got up early and hit up the chain auto stores in the small town I was in - Pep Boys, Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone. I explained my situation and, much to the credit of all three stores, each said they had nothing that would work for me.

I decided to try the rinseless, which had worked well for me in the past, but I knew I needed more MF cloths. Picked up an eight pack Of Vroom towels (and a gallon of distilled water) at Target, added them to the six towels I brought from home and went to work.

Five hours and 13 MF towels later I could touch Nelly without getting oily...I left the engine and wheels for when I got home. (BTW, once home it took me 3 hours to wash out those MF cloths, first by hand in Oxi-Clean which turned a murky brown, two rinses, the first was tainted brown then a wash in concentrated Simple Green which also turned a brownish-green, two rinses, and a final machine wash in Oxi-Clean; at least 6 of them are still pretty trashed and will be relegated to wheel and tire duty.)

The return trip wasn`t quite as bad but I did get rain on almost-fresh asphalt for about 50 miles but nowhere near as bad as the trip out...but the bugs were almost as bad!

Once home the first order of business was the bugs. I used a bug wash product I picked up a few months ago at China-Mart ("Purple Power" product) along with the mesh scrubber on my dreadlock MF sponge and it worked great - BONUS!!! - it SEEMED to remove the oily film from the nose of the car! I washed the entire car with that stuff and the scrubber (and watched the white foam turn nicotine brown color as I rinsed it away), washed it off with Meg`s shampoo, then washed Nelly again with rinseless. I used the bug wash on the wheels/tries and engine compartment, too.

Two weeks later Nelly got a complete polish, BFWD seal and coat of wax along with a full engine detail. Even pulled the wheels for a cleaning...it all took three days!

Regards,
GEWB

imported_glfahlc
12-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Did that this summer. Went to Target and bought the 3oz bottles (for flight carry on stuff) and 3oz spray bottles - packed:
> APC (8:1) spray
> Interior trim detailer spray
> Exterior QD spray
> Tire shine squeeze
> Rinseless wash (bought a gallon of distilled H2O at wherever) squeeze

Put it all in a one gallon ziplock bag.
Fout MF cloths in another gallon ziplock bag.

Put it all in a 6 qt bucket from the Dollar Store.

And yes I DID need all of that stuff during my ten day trip.

Regards,
Gary

that sounds like the best short list gewb... i told my wife i should bring my makita and all the workings and take a day and buff the car...didn`t go over too well... so i`ll keep it short.

imported_gewb
12-17-2009, 08:41 PM
that sounds like the best short list gewb... i told my wife i should bring my makita and all the workings and take a day and buff the car...didn`t go over too well... so i`ll keep it short.

Read my post just above yours....TAKE EVERYTHING YOU OWN! :w00t::w00t:

Regards,
GEWB