PDA

View Full Version : Here`s a marketing idea...

jlacasci
09-14-2001, 02:39 AM
Help! My newly acquired 1986 Toyota E-Z Ryder Motorhome has a very rough fiberglass exterior, because it has spent most of its life in the desert. I`m quite confused as to the best thing to do for it. I have heard that applying "clearcoat" is great for rough fiberglass because it is like a paint and will seal all the fuzzy fibers. I have also heard that "clearcoat" is NOT good because it peels in about a year or two. Then I heard that there is a special sealer that can be applied over it that will keep it from peeling. I`ve also heard that if you first put on a polymer wax-sealer and then later you try to put on "clearcoat," it won`t adhere very well. Alternately I`ve heard that once you put on "clearcoat" and it peels, it is hard to get it off to do anything else. I`m wondering if it is apt to peel more or peel less with a fuzzy vs. smooth surface. Does anyone have any confirmation of any of this information? Anyone ever used "clearcoat"? If so, what brand, under what conditions, and with what results?

Please help. I need to do something about the fiberglass, but I don`t want to make any mistakes.

Thanks,

Tika

Puckman
12-17-2009, 07:35 AM
I`ve seen all the fancy vacuum patterns some detailers leave in the interior carpet or mats. I`m thinking of getting a stencil cutout made of my logo and then hold it on the carpet mat and then vacuum over the top of it to leave an impression of my business logo. I know it lasts only for those few moments it takes for the owner to drive away and scuff it with their feet but they`d see it at delivery and during the walk around.

Maybe another on the passenger side and that might stay longer.

What do you guys think?

Todd@RUPES
12-17-2009, 07:54 AM
I actually think it is a great idea. Thanks, I`m going to use it. Vacuum the carpet in one direction then use the stencil to gently push the carpet in the other direction. I am applying for a patent now, and will do sports teams, NASCAR numbers, and even half-naked girl templates.

rockymountaindetail
12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
sounds good to me. It may get lost on the front floor of a car but would really pop in the back carpet of an SUV or Minivan.

imported_Luster
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Good idea Puckman!!!!:wink:

michakaveli
12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Spiffy idea!

Justin Murphy
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
and even half-naked girl templates.

That would go good here in the mountains. You know. A template like the chrome girls on trucker`s semis mudflaps!

http://www.kmonkey.com/blog/trog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/fp2407mud-flap-girl-posters.jpg

imported_glfahlc
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
superb idea puck, but you better get that patent in b4 todd...

imported_ZimRandy
12-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Somewhere, someone was doing this but I don`t remember where I`ve seen it.

He has his logo cut into a sheet of stainless steel and would use it in the driver and passenger foot areas, as well as the cargo area of SUV`s. It did look pretty neat.

If I were a business and had a logo I have a friend that has all the tools and material to make them.

Randy

imported_gewb
12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I actually think it is a great idea. Thanks, I`m going to use it. Vacuum the carpet in one direction then use the stencil to gently push the carpet in the other direction. I am applying for a patent now, and will do sports teams, NASCAR numbers, and even half-naked girl templates.

Umm, better check on that patent before spending the bucks. I`ve seen this already marketed as of last spring (IIRC). Custom template was around $50. Not sure if the "idea" can be patented.

There are numerous custom sign shops in Denver that would cut a plastic/vinyl template to your spec at a reasonable price.

Regards,
GEWB

imported_broker99
12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Somewhere, someone was doing this but I don`t remember where I`ve seen it.

He has his logo cut into a sheet of stainless steel and would use it in the driver and passenger foot areas, as well as the cargo area of SUV`s. It did look pretty neat.

If I were a business and had a logo I have a friend that has all the tools and material to make them.

Randy

yeah I think that I remember seeing that as well.

imported_gewb
12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
How about contracting with a local (to you) sign shop and PA could sell the service? Make out of .008" to .015 plastic, in two sizes: small size for front carpet and large size for trunk / cargo area.

Regards,
GEWB

imported_Kevin Brown
12-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Patent, Schmatent. you guys are WAY over thinking this. Yes, you need a template.
But you can use it in so many other ways... not JUST with a vacuum.

Place your template, then simply mist a color-accenting coat of aerosol paint over the exposed carpet!
All sorts of colors can be had, for only a few bucks.

Better yet, an inexpensive electric hair clipper or shear will give you that "ghosting" look that is sooo desired.
A quick pass across the fuzzy stuff and that baby will look sweet!

I think the best "method" would be to surprise your customer with a "reverse-cut" floormat.
Simply place your stencil, outline the floormat with a Sharpie, and cut using an industrial grade pair of scissors.
Sure, it may require a bit more effort, but imagine the look on your customer`s face once he gets a gander at your handywork! :cursing:

Naw, just kidding. I think it looks pretty neat. Seen it on some thread before, somewhere.

I suppose this should have been posted in the "Will CMA carry these new polishing pads??" thread? http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2483 :doh:

imported_Blackfire
12-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Plexiglas and a sabre saw. No patent.

It`s not worth the investment unless you can sell it, and you can`t unless you pay fees to all those other sponsors.

Old Pirate
12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Only Paul can think of a idea like this, hope you can pull it off........:Christmas Hat: