PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl stripe detail questions

Pages : [1] 2

Deep Gloss
09-12-2001, 10:23 PM
After cleaning the windows with the mircro fiber clothes it leves tons of mirco fiber lint behind. It looks terrible because the sun reflects of the lint particles and makes the windows look dirtier then when I started! Any sugestions on how to fix this? Your help is greatly appreciated!

JasonC8301
09-12-2001, 10:28 PM
Try some newspaper or coffee filters.

This should clear up the linting problem,

Welcome to the forum,

Jason

Deep Gloss
09-12-2001, 10:34 PM
I thought the whole perpous for microfiber clothes was to eliminate lint? It seems that 100% cotton clothes work better than my microfiber clothes. Could it be how I am washing them?? Thanks agian

SuperBee364
09-12-2001, 11:00 PM
I have a couple cheap nicsand microfiber towels that do the same thing. They clean the windows well by removing the plasticizing greasy film and bugs but leave zillions of tiny little pieces of lint. The lint makes the window look like it has little pits in it. So after I use a microfiber I take a nice cotton washcloth (dry) and wipe it down. That removes the lint and makes the window look near perfect.

Try that and let me know if it works for ya.

Koyaanisqatsi
09-12-2001, 11:06 PM
The ones that are made for detailing glass actually feel like suede. They work great. I have one of the original 3m microfiber glass cloths and it works great and leaves no lint.

YoSteve
09-13-2001, 12:15 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Bimmerboy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I thought the whole perpous for microfiber clothes was to eliminate lint? It seems that 100% cotton clothes work better than my microfiber clothes. Could it be how I am washing them?? Thanks agian [/b]</blockquote>
hardly, just haven`t gotten the correct mf that`s all

the ultrafine mf`s are awesome on glass (they look like silk cloths), although i have had no probs with mt`s so I dont` have any

09-13-2001, 03:13 AM
which would explain why some are $2 whilst some are $12.

I too use suede microfiber clothes (kleanride.com) for my glass.

Kleanride
09-13-2001, 06:36 AM
I have gotten some lint before from MF too, just throw them in the wash once or twice and its gone...usually!

bobdec
09-13-2001, 10:17 AM
I`ve tried dozens of different brands of mf towels. There is indeed a huge difference in quality. I still believe the best mf towels available are the original Miracle Towels and the Neatitems towels. Price is an indication, but I bought my last mf towels for under $3 each from Neatitems so you can get good towels inexpensively. (I did have to buy 100 of them but I went together with a couple of friends and we split the order.)

I do like using the suede type towels for glass, but only light duty cleaning. The suede is also my favorite for keeping in the car glove box. They are great for fingerpirnts and dusting as well as wiping eyeglasses and sunglasses, cds, etc. They also don`t collect all the lint, dust and dirt that the terry towels do if not kept in a ziplock.

hopsgt500
12-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Newbie question here lol I did a search on vinyl stripe care but couldn`t find anything so hopefully I`m not repeating. I have vinyl stripes and was wondering what can be done to keep them in shape. With vinyl being softer than the paint I have already noticed some faint scratches :banghead: so is there a way to remove the scratches? If not I think I am going to have them removed and painted on instead.

Old Pirate
12-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Meguiar`s Gold Class Trim Detailer is a great dressing for rubber,plastic and vinyl material and I had use this for a few years now on some vinyl graphics, always you would want to test this product first in an inconspicous area.
If your Vinyl graphics on your car have some kind of major defect in them, as in a imperfection then chances are there are no product around is going to remove that defect because vinyl graphics don`t correct or cleaned too well after some defect or damaged on them.
But when they don`t have any defect or damaged the end-result is a good looking vinyl stripe. Remember that when working with this product to applied and gently worked in a coat of Meguiar`s Gold Class Trim Detailer to the vinyl and let it penetrate while before removed of it...............Angelo

imported_Luster
12-14-2009, 07:36 PM
It depends on whether the stripes have been clear-coated. If so, you would treat them just as you do paint. If they are vinyl that has NOT been clear coated, and you wish to polish the scratches, use caution not to be overly aggressive.

Vinyl should be treated as you would plastic. I`ve used Meguiars PlastX on vinyl stripes, by hand, with good success.

Again, the key is to not get overly aggressive on the vinyl. You don`t want to make a $700 mistake! (for new stripes!)

Old Pirate
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Just to let one know that this doesn`t working all the time, some vinyl`s won`t take it some plan for it.

hopsgt500
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks all. I`ve been told that these stripes were clear coated but I am still a bit weary of using anything on them. I will give the Mequires stuff a shot and see how it goes.

Old Pirate
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Remember you always would want to test this product first in an inconspicous area. Always be safe then sorry.