PDA

View Full Version : Just Google It.....

Pages : [1] 2

jayder456
09-12-2001, 10:03 PM
Much to my chagrin, I accidentally put a small (1/4") puncture/laceration in the lower portion of the driver`s side leather seat in my new car! :( It is a light grey color. Any suggestions for inconspicious repair. Is there anything I can get to repair it myself?

Thanks for your help.

-KCD-

God Bless America...<em class=`bbc`>and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of its dastardly enemies[/i] :p

MrCoolDu4
09-12-2001, 10:28 PM
I did the same when I forgot I had a small screw driver in my back pocket. I found this leather repair kit at www.leathermagic.com and it did a pretty good job and was easy to use. The result held up for over a year before I sold the car. The real trick was mixing the colors to match. It took several mixing attempts and I tried each mixture on a hard to see part of the seat to verify the color. Also, make sure you clean the seat before you try to match the color. Good Luck.

jayder456
09-15-2001, 12:57 AM
I`ll spend some time checking the place out.

Cheers,

-KCD-

nerdhunters
09-15-2001, 12:39 PM
In the August issue of Bimmer magazine there is an article on a product from the UK called Woolies. They have a Web site www. Wollies-trim.co.uk
They may ahve something.

imported_Flash Gordon
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
This weekend I prefomed a 60k mile service on my car.I replaced my timing belt,water pump, tensioner, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap/rotor,fuel/oil/air filters, surpentine belt, upper/lower radiator hoses, flush radiator :soldier:

When I was getting ready to install my new timing belt, I started to question if I had my timing marks aligned correctly :doh:

I decided to do a Google search. The link that I hit on had a similar question asked, but only had 1 comment. The person who answered back gave completely backwards advice :banghead:

If the OP did what this person advised, they are/were suffering a 1k-5k loss :money:

I guess the reason I made this thread was to see if anyone else has ever seen terrible advice given using a Google search :spy:

imported_Bunky
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I did some research when I was trying to replace the window regulator in the truck but in the end I have found the camera as the best way to figure stuff out like how my truck regulator fits in the door and how to put the springs back on rear drums.

imported_Luster
12-14-2009, 06:50 PM
It`s a crap shoot. Talk is cheap and sometimes it`s right-on and sometimes its crap.

Husker Z
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
About the only car advice I`ll take from the internet comes from enthusiasts forums/sites like this one. It`s the only way I feel like I`m talking to people that are knowledgeable.

imported_Flash Gordon
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I did some research when I was trying to replace the window regulator in the truck but in the end I have found the camera as the best way to figure stuff out like how my truck regulator fits in the door and how to put the springs back on rear drums.

That camera idea...I`ll have to remember that. Thanks Al :)

It`s a crap shoot. Talk is cheap and sometimes it`s right-on and sometimes its crap.

Ain`t that the truth :out:

About the only car advice I`ll take from the internet comes from enthusiasts forums/sites like this one. It`s the only way I feel like I`m talking to people that are knowledgeable.

^ Yea, that and WebMD....I search that site all the time. According to them, I shouldv`e been dead 6 months ago :o

Todd@RUPES
12-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I wanted to polish paint and found some forum where everybody talked like they knew what they where talking about. Only they didn`t, no matter how many times they polished mom`s car with dad`s Porter Cable. :devil:

A dream was born, a forum not about ego but about helping and honest, truthful, fancy-less information.:angel:

imported_gewb
12-14-2009, 10:41 PM

I use my digital camera for that kind of thing all the time. Any time I take something apart, even when opening a package from UPS, I take a pic every step along the way (especially when opening a package!). Most of the time I don`t need to reference them but, man, when I do, it`s invaluable.

Another time I take reference pics is when parking at the airport outlying lot so when I return two weeks later I know exactly where I parked.

Regards,
GEWB

imported_Lasthope05
12-15-2009, 01:59 AM
This is why its good to have all-data. I have access to all spec and information of all vehicles up to 2008. I dont have to go to google and find answers 16yr olds can write.

imported_Jokeman
12-15-2009, 07:57 AM
This is why its good to have all-data. I have access to all spec and information of all vehicles up to 2008. I dont have to go to google and find answers 16yr olds can write.

Yup...all-data is great. Plus if you take your car to a mechanic you can check to see if they are charging you by the book time or actual time.

rockymountaindetail
12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
you mean everything on the internet isn`t true???:eek:

JK, I do search for a lot of info but I try to use it as a backup, not my first line of discovery.

imported_Flash Gordon
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I wanted to polish paint and found some forum where everybody talked like they knew what they where talking about. Only they didn`t, no matter how many times they polished mom`s car with dad`s Porter Cable. :devil:

A dream was born, a forum not about ego but about helping and honest, truthful, fancy-less information.:angel:

And the fruits of your labor are paying off ^ :Dancing Dot:

I use my digital camera for that kind of thing all the time. Another time I take reference pics is when parking at the airport outlying lot so when I return two weeks later I know exactly where I parked.

Regards,
GEWB

Another fan of the camera. I had to laugh, the other night me and the wife went Christ-X shopping, after we spent 3 hours at the mall my mind went completely blank as to what section of the car park we had left th car :doh:

We walked around aimessly for 15 minutes till we hit gold :Car smiley:

Yea, I tried joining All-Data a couple years back when I rebuilt my transmission(Getrag) At the time my computer skills were even weaker then they are today, so I ended up borrowing a Chiltons manual instead ;)

Yup...all-data is great. Plus if you take your car to a mechanic you can check to see if they are charging you by the book time or actual time.

Another fan of All-Data :w00t:

you mean everything on the internet isn`t true???:eek:

JK, I do search for a lot of info but I try to use it as a backup, not my first line of discovery.

For someone who grew up running the streets as a *****er man, it surprises me sometimes how gullible/niave I can be :o

Moderators >When did the word gnuoy < (spelt backwards) become this > ***** :scared: