PDA

View Full Version : What`s up with Green foam from LC?

mx5
09-11-2001, 07:34 AM
If you have a garage queen that will sit in there all winter, would it hurt the paint to apply wax or a polymer based protectant and leave it on there without buffing it off. Wouldn`t this possibly be the ultimate protection better than a car cover or complement the car cover very well? I thought about this when reading that with Liqui-tech`s Finish First Auto Polish you could

"theoretically allow the polish to dry for months, and it would still wipe off easily with no adverse affects".

I know this sounds ridiculous but I was just curious.

shaw
09-11-2001, 08:41 AM
<strong class=`bbc`>sounds good, but ?[/b]

I would be concerned about any airborne particles or dirt that may get deposited on the surface while the queen is on her thrown; <em class=`bbc`>assuming she is not wrapped in a blanketテか[/i] :eek:

I surely wouldn`t want to buff the surface with anything laying on itテか On the other hand, maybe your garage is of Operating Room qualityテか

Furthermore, if the car is garaged and wrapped, then why the concern? Seal her up with a couple of coats and put her to bedテか:D

You have it good compared to my problemテか I`m in upstate NY with a 1930`s garage-too smallテか I can squeeze two cars in the drivewayテか That always leaves one on the streetテか:mad:

Whatever the result, your queen will thank you for your noble efforts!

imported_wfedwar
12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Can someone help clarify the intended use of green foam from LC? First, how aggressive are these compared to white? Looking at the PAC website, some descriptions imply they are more aggressive than white, while others suggest green is less aggressive. Second, what`s up with this statement: "It is designed to be used with an orbital polisher (like the Porter Cable 7424) but can be used with a circular polisher if the speed is kept around 1000 rpm."? Why can`t I spin these things up to 2000 rpm? Will they fly apart? Generate too much heat? Thanks,

Billy

imported_wfedwar
12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
ttt .

imported_broker99
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I might be wrong about this but I believe that the green works well on German paint. I also believe that the green cuts more like the white but finishes like the black.

Angelo might have to chime in on this one.

imported_TLMitchell
12-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I might be wrong about this but I believe that the green works well on German paint. I also believe that the green cuts more like the white but finishes like the black.

Angelo might have to chime in on this one.

I see on some of the UK forums many tout the german green foam. However, I`m thinking that varies from what may be available domestically.

I previously thought I`d seen LC green portrayed as slightly less aggressive than white polishing. However most recently, both on the LC site as well as numerous vendors, show the green as either a "light cutting" or "heavy polishing" pad and falling between orange cutting and white polishing in terms of aggressiveness.

I was just out in the Garage Mahal squeezin` `em and the firmness of the green flat does appear to be between the orange and white in firmness.

:::shrug::::

TL

imported_broker99
12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I see on some of the UK forums many tout the german green foam. However, I`m thinking that varies from what may be available domestically.

I previously thought I`d seen LC green portrayed as slightly less aggressive than white polishing. However most recently, both on the LC site as well as numerous vendors, show the green as either a "light cutting" or "heavy polishing" pad and falling between orange cutting and white polishing in terms of aggressiveness.

I was just out in the Garage Mahal squeezin` `em and the firmness of the green flat does appear to be between the orange and white in firmness.

:::shrug::::

TL

I tried squeezin` `em at PAC one day and Jack sent this guy out

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/773e5077395218fa

imported_TLMitchell
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I tried squeezin` `em at PAC one day and Jack sent this guy out

http://thm-a04.yimg.com/image/773e5077395218fa

No surprise, probably thought you were after his job.

I just reviewed Todd`s `Sticky` on polishing pads in the Machine Polishing Forum. His charts contradict what I just posted.

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=791

Everything there indicates green falls between white and black. :confused:

Think I`ll just use orange, white and black and get rid of the green... end of confusion. :wink:

TL

imported_Bunky
12-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I think I posted this before but here are the two green pads:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/3493317431_fe2c060584_o.jpg

imported_wfedwar
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Cool--so which does PAC carry???

Old Pirate
12-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Our Green German Polishing Pads -Our Green foam Pads offers a mild polishing power yet leaves the surface with a high gloss finish. It is excellent on German finishes including the new scratch-resistant clear coats.

This is the best pad for applying one-step, polish/sealants like Menzerna Acrylic Jacket, Klasse All-In-One and Autoglym Super Resin Polish when using a D-A polisher.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/fgreen.jpg (http://www.properautocare.com/padsexplained.html)

Old Pirate
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Cool--so which does PAC carry???

Our`s are in the light polishing side. They are just below the White pad to let you know. These are some great polishing pads to use with a PC or Rotary.

Todd@RUPES
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
The crazy green confusion...

It is confusing for me, but here is the deal with the green pads...

As pictured earlier in the thread, there are two types of green foams (well three actually, but that is another story). One is a coarser designed foam that is a little more mild then the yellow foam and leaves significant surface scouring.
PAC does not carry this `heavier cut` green foam.

There is also a milder green foam that is a polishing foam. This is the one that PAC carries. Both of the more popular green foams (cutting and light polishing) are European in origin, hence the confusion with the name.

Where does our green foam fit in...

The pad itself has less mechanical action then the white pad and finishes near similar to the black pad. It bridges the gap nicely. So why the confusion about it`s cutting ability and what it is used for? We must remember that Lake Country has a significant OEM (car factory) market and we benefit from a lot of the technologies developed for the OEM level.

At the OEM level the Power Orange foam is very popular as a one step pad, there is little need for a finer foam, even if we see a benefit. The Green Foam was designed originally to offer a finer cutting action that could also serve double duty at applying waxes, sealants, and glazes.

The white foam is a finely tuned polishing pad and not designed for application duty. This is why the green foam has a PPI higher to the fine pads (80) put out cuts the 75 PPI black pad. It is a true dual-purpose foam.

At the detailer level, most have found this unique foam to perform similar to a white pad (sometimes out cutting it, sometimes not, depending on paint) while tending to finish better. When it was new it was marketed as an `all in one wax pad with some polishing action` but it was also new to the market.

While it still the most aggressive finishing pad available, it has really gained popularity in the detailing crowd (as opposed to the OEM crowd) as a light polishing pad.

Why the confusion on if it cuts more or less then a white pad then? Because if you load both pads with heavy lubricant like wax the green pad will have more polishing ability. That is what it is designed for originally. However with most polishes (and not waxes) the white foam is going to be slightly more aggressive. As time allows I will go through the site and clean up any confusing (old) information but thank for bringing this to our attention (the confusing descriptions on PAC).

I hope I cleared up some of the confusion?!

imported_wfedwar
12-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help. This clarifies things a good bit.