PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Quick Detailers....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_roadk
09-10-2001, 08:49 PM
has anyone heard of this company--microfiber unlimited?

http://www.microfiber.org/index1.htm

has anyone had good results with them? they seem inexpensive....

and i believe they sell them in an 8 pack for 12 bucks at costco.

--thanks

thomas

bobdec
09-10-2001, 11:02 PM
Certainly one of the least expensive mf towels available. I`ve purchased them in the past at Costco at the same price you quoted, but wouldn`t buy them again. They are made in China and are 80/20 blend. I wasn`t very pleased with the thickness of the towels. I wouldn`t recommend them for your paint.

For your paint, I like the Neatitems towels or the Miracle Towels. I do understand from reading posts that YoSteve has a good deal on the MTs. I haven`t had any linting problems on my black paint with the Neatitems mf and from what I`ve read, either has anyone with the YoSteve towels.

Don2000g
09-13-2001, 10:28 AM
I would have to agree with your assessment Prince. When I first bought some microfiber.org towels, I thought they were certainly o.k. Nothing special but o.k. Now, that I`ve had a chance to try so many more microfiber towels, I`ve come to the very same conclusion as you. They are below average towels that should not be used on paint. Laters.

Glozz
09-13-2001, 02:18 PM
Last night I did a quick total dusting of my car with a Cali Duster (never a issue before). Then I proceeded to do a QD with Z-6 and three MF towels that are not cheap, I do believe they are of the Viper line.

Keep in mind that there was no sand or gravel on my finish. I did a nice wipe down of all surfaces. I pulled the car in the garage and noticed a scratch about 12" long on the hood (thank god, not deep!). I was upset!

I applied some Z-5 and this has covered it up 100%.

I will no longer do any QDing of my cars. I will only wash them every week, even if they look clean. I will ONLY use these MF towels on the interior (seats, dash) and rims.

Even being 100% AR about washing my towels and keeping them clean, I have been taught a lesson.

Cotton, cotton, cotton... :mad:

spartacus_33
09-13-2001, 02:48 PM
The problem is most likely the Calif duster. Some of us no longer use them because of the problem you have.

YoSteve
09-13-2001, 05:50 PM
jazzyjack, if your towels are not miracle towels, did you try the cd test on them? (I know, not the greatest test, but it`s the only one we got)

the cali-d probably didn`t get all the dust off (or may have caused it in the first place).

there`s a fine line between deciding when to dust & QD versus washing. I always tend to rinse my car off it there is visible dust and i`m desperate to QD (but at that point some may think you should just wash it)

Glozz
09-13-2001, 06:56 PM
Is not the issue here. I have never had an issue with using one just as some have not had trouble using MF towels of various makes on the finishes of their cars.

My Cali Duster is only used for "tip" dusting and to put a scratch like the one on the hood of my Bimmer, was not done by the duster. It was during the wipe down part of the QD.

This is after washing the towels in a seperate batch and of coarse applying my QD of choice. I`m so anal about my towels used for the cars that my wife will not go near them. I`m in charge of the laundry in my house :)

The towels I`ve choosen to use are from "Top of the Line" and are so plush that I`m suprised that they did not suck up any heavier dust particals. Perhaps as Steve has stated; washing the car when dust becomes so visiable is the best bet! Live and learn on this one...

Just goes to show that with all the different ways to detail a car, some things work for some and others don`t for some. :confused:

BradE
09-13-2001, 07:32 PM
jazzyjack,

If you are switching to cotton towels, try Fieldcrest Charisma towels. They are great, they are very very thick and super plush.

09-13-2001, 08:28 PM
I hope you`re not saying that a mcirofiber towel left a foot long scratch on your car. Obviously it came from an abnormally large debris that you dragged along the surface.

ISLANDSBEST
09-14-2001, 01:44 AM
This matter of the Cali Duster continues to be controversial, with differing views amongst intelligent and observant posters.

I read the archives on the Duster and then bought and used a Duster for about three weeks. I was ecstatic. My QD time was decreased dramatically. Plus, doing the sides of the car became a snap, vs the former backbreaker. But, one day, to my horror, I saw many fine scratches. I immediately stopped using the Duster. The scratches have gone away over the course of washing, QDing and more coats of Z5. I don`t know exactly when they went away or what exactly caused the disappearance.

It is possible the "scratches" were merely scratches in my 10 coats of Z. Whatever it was, until I knew more, I suspended using the Duster, except in exceptional circumstances.

Glozz
09-14-2001, 02:49 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by beau [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I hope you`re not saying that a mcirofiber towel left a foot long scratch on your car. Obviously it came from an abnormally large debris that you dragged along the surface. [/b]</blockquote>
It must have been very large to do that. It does not appear to be through the "clear". I could not feel it with my finger nail. I have applied a coat of Z-5 on it and it has hidden it from view.

I have also suspended use of the Cali Duster. I`ll just be washing my car once a week rain or shine. That is unless I get a "Bird Bomb" on it.

One thing I did was to go through the MF towel I used and I could not find any sand, dirt, nothing that could have done this. I then checked the Duster and found nothing as well.

So for me, washing is the only way I`ll keep the car clean. One thing that is clear to me is that most of us on this forum have clean cars even when a bit dirty or dusty. I`ll just need to control myself between each wash :D

hook
09-14-2001, 03:53 PM
I`ve been using a duster as well, purchased after a thorough search of these archives revealed everyone thought they were ok (was a while back).

Two weeks agao I noticed some fine marring in straight lines on the blue car (AIOx2, KSGx3, Souveran). I couldn`t decide if it was from a QD or the duster.

That weekend, I dawned the car, and the marring was gone. Obviously, the marks were in the Souveran (whew!). I rewaxed, no marring.

Since then, I`ve been doing an experiment. The Cal Duster goes across the car parallel to the windshield ("sideways"), I QD along with the flow of the car.

So far, no marring either way, but this way if it happens I`ll know if it was the QD or the duster. Will keep everyone posted.

Blue skies,

Andy

We&#39;re Here
09-15-2001, 12:32 PM
MF towels can be offered in different weaves. I see one brand offered in "suede" and "terry". Which is the more appropriate for detailing? Thank you.

YoSteve
09-15-2001, 03:43 PM
"We`re Here",

The suede towels are normally reserved for glass and hard surface shining. Some Oakley glasses come in microfiber pouches that say only clean glasses with the pouch. Those are the coolest things.

As for terry, the added surface area plushness allows for more absorbtion (for QD and drying). It also allows for more fibers to help in cases of SG removal, etc. If you get a towel works correctly, however, you can clean windows, your paint, and your dash with the same type of towel. hope that helps - Steve

imported_Luster
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
The first QD I ever used was Meguiar`s Quik Detailer/Mist & Wipe (in the burgundy bottle).

Several years ago, my wife and I were at the Lake of the Ozarks. She was shopping at the Mall and I was bored with a dirty car.

I was hanging out at an auto parts store and saw this "Quick Detailer" and I was facinated... GOTTA TRY IT!

Did I read the instructions? Are you kiddin` me?!!!! NEVER!:rofl:

I proceeded out of the store and started WASHING my dirty car with Meg`s QD and a cheap microfiber. I was actually very pleased with the results. I didn`t even notice the swirl marks and marring on my BLACK car at the time.

It took about a year of doing this to realize that QD`s were never intended to be used as a car-wash product.

Fast Forward 10 Years......

QD is now used only for the following purposes:

1. Immediately following a wash and dry.

2. After using a Cal Duster and there is no dirt on the car, other than the dust I just removed

3. Only applied to a clean dry surface with a very soft clean microfiber towel.

4. Never used as a car wash... get out the ONR!

Lesson Learned!:wink:

Your thoughts on QD`s?