PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody painted their own vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_roadk
09-10-2001, 09:24 AM
i`m the rookie with the black 2001 jetta taking in everyone`s advice. (thanks)

but i wonder if this porter cable 7424 is for me...

i`ve read many threads regarding the machine but is it safe for the beginner detailer?

and if so, can someone offer suggestions on how to use it correctly and what types of pads to use for 3M SMR, AIO, SG, Carn. Wax, etc..?

thanks again!

---thomas

rmccall6
09-10-2001, 09:49 AM
The PC is a dual action polisher...not a buffer, it wont cause any swirl marks of its own. Yes its complestely safe for a novice to use it, just folow some giudelines...keep the pad flat to the panel, use a little pressure, only turn the machine on when its o the surface. Use it in sweeping, overlapping strokes. Many like to spread the product over the panel at a lower speed, then work the product in at a higher speeds. As for pads, get a velcro backing plate and the pad kit from CMA. Also, Meguiars has a tutoriol on their sire for the PC.

BradE
09-10-2001, 09:55 AM
www.costaltool.com has the best deal I have seen on a PC. They have them for $115

09-10-2001, 01:02 PM
Thomas, you`ll really appreciate the help in detailing the PC 7424 can give you; especially with a black car!

Most here don`t use it to apply waxes/sealants, but when applying polishes and cleaners is where it really excels. I love my PC.

old_gonzo
09-10-2001, 01:06 PM
In your opinion, what is the difference between a polisher and a buffer? Thanks.

09-10-2001, 01:12 PM
I think that a buffer would be direct-drive, meaning that the pad would go in a single, circular motion, like a drill, whereas the PC 7424 goes in a random orbit, kinda like a figure 8 but on a very small scale.

old_gonzo
09-10-2001, 01:29 PM
Thank you, beau. :)

Glozz
09-10-2001, 02:00 PM
I`m starting to clear a spot on my garage shelf for my own 7424. It looks to be a very good tool to have.

Also ShowroomLincoln was very right on! Costaltool.com has the unit for about $115 US. and that is $40 cheaper then any other place I`ve been able to find!!!!!

JasonC8301
09-10-2001, 06:25 PM
and it is very safe and easy to work with.

I am hoping to try the direct drive buffers soon, but it needs patience and good knowledge of how the darn buffer works. One second too long, wrong pad, wrong compound, invites burns and horror pictures of the "pro" detailers with the things.

The PC is great, but don`t expect miracles. The PC is designed to make a good car finish great. Neglected finishes need a rotary to bring it back to life, then a follow up with PC to set in that perfect shine.

Just my 2 cents

Jason

cahlroach
09-10-2001, 07:02 PM
It`s amazingly easy and safe for a rookie to use, but I experimented on a friends neglected Taurus first. It was a waste of time, as far as learning to use the PC, but of course, my friend was happy.

ihetenyi
09-10-2001, 07:39 PM
I actually got to try out a buffer on a spare hood when I visited Ron`s shop here in Cinci. In the 20 minutes I had it, I definitely realized just how much practice it would take to get the necessary skills down. On top of that, you really need the surface temp gauge and the electronic paint thickness gauge to run those things safely. Lots and lots of fun though :)

imported_roadk
09-10-2001, 08:33 PM
thanks everyone for the advice.

i`m ordering one tommorrow and i`ll share my experience when i try it for the first time.

does anyone have suggestions for what pads/bonnets to use and where to get them?

--thomas

JasonC8301
09-10-2001, 11:44 PM
so darn lucky to be so close to Ron. I think I will attend one of his PrepExcellence classes next year. I just see when I am free to make that trip up there.

roadk - I got the DM-KIT from CMA. It has one gray finishing pad for the layering of layerable product (Klasse SG, wax), I rarely use this but good to have. Two white polishing pads (Klasse AIO, a polish.) A yellow cutting pad ( More agressive polish.) A wool bonnet for a cusion and non clear coat polishing pad, two terry bonnets. See if you can sub two terry bonnets for two MF bonnets, to bad I did not do this.

Jason

boywonder
09-11-2001, 04:24 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>so darn lucky to be so close to Ron. I think I will attend one of his PrepExcellence classes next year. I just see when I am free to make that trip up there.

roadk - I got the DM-KIT from CMA. It has one gray finishing pad for the layering of layerable product (Klasse SG, wax), I rarely use this but good to have. Two white polishing pads (Klasse AIO, a polish.) A yellow cutting pad ( More agressive polish.) A wool bonnet for a cusion and non clear coat polishing pad, two terry bonnets. See if you can sub two terry bonnets for two MF bonnets, to bad I did not do this.

Jason [/b]</blockquote>
Jason, don`t be surprised if you see me as a classmate. :D

JasonC8301
09-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Very Cool. I hope I can make it out there and be off from school at the same time. I can not ruin my perfect attendance. I just can not.

I`ll wait a few months and see what my program is looking like, if I can fit this class into it.