PDA

View Full Version : BMW Jet Black

Pages : 1 [2]

imported_Luster
12-06-2009, 10:41 PM
The hardest clearcoat I`ve polished is the C5 and C6 Corvettes. They call it "Ceramic Clearcoat".

Definitely hard as a rock. I`ve used M105/205 KBM with my PC XP and had pretty good success, but there are 2 factors that are mandatory:

1. Moderate to heavy pressure

2. Correction time is extensive / long, slow passes(takes twice as long as a "softer" clearcoat)

Puckman
12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I have an Escalade customer and that stuff is hard, too. I know what you mean about Corvette paint.

If it`s any gauge of toughness, I was exerting quite a bit of pressure with my circular and M105 with my usual, gradual slow passes! At times an even abnormal amount of pressure. An additional stress factor was I was on the clock with the customer. He was expecting the car back in about 6 hours. This should have been my typical 10 to 12 hour job. My estimate assumed a soft clear and they`re fairly fast. Now I know.

I feel a bit better this morning after seeing some of the BMW guys wondering the same thing. They are even postulating specific build dates of the cars to try to narrow it down to a specifictime for the change to hard clears. One guy in Montreal had a very similar experience.

It`s just that after a while you think you have just about every car you do figured out. It doesn`t take me long to dial in exactly what I need to FULLY correct. This one not so. Just goes to show, you can`t assume anything with any vehicle until you actually work it.

Thanks guys.