PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_maesal
09-07-2001, 12:24 AM
I heard this one on TV. Horsepower TV, or My Classic Car, or one of those shows on TNN.

They suggested the use of a fine steel wool (grade 0000) and LIGHTLY go over the windows with it. Then use the newpapers instead of towels for the cleaning.

Anyone ever used this method? I`m a little skeptical, as the last time I used steel wool, it broke up into fine fibers, and dusted a lot. I`m concerned about the dust. Nothing a good clay bar wouldn`t pick up?

rmccall6
09-07-2001, 12:28 AM
I would pass on the steel wool part, but newspaper is a great wiping towel for glass, even if it is a little old school. No lint, no streaks.

Preachers Sheets
09-07-2001, 07:35 AM
Try to 400 grit sandpaper, it`ll remove all that dust and a little more, I heard it can thin out your windsheild to remove extra drag.

:-)

(seriously though, I`d pass on the steel wool, there are so many other products out there I don`t see the point/need to use something that is in question)

Brad B
09-07-2001, 08:18 AM
I agree on not using the steelwool. It`s a cheap "household" trick.

A quality glass polish, like the Zaino polish I just tested, is the best solution I have found.

Claying also works well in removing debris from the glass.

DETAILKING
09-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Did you apply Z2 over your polished glass?

Brad B
09-07-2001, 08:45 AM
I will tonight!

DETAILKING
09-07-2001, 09:09 AM
Clean the glass real well with alcohal or equivalent. Apply VERY thin coat of Z2 (no Z1) and buff off. You are gonna love it. It especially looks good on tinted windows.

Don2000g
09-07-2001, 05:13 PM
Brad, I look forward to reading your results. Laters.

YoSteve
09-07-2001, 05:32 PM
If fine steel wool (grade 0000) is molecularly harder than glass, it will scratch it. If it is not, it will not scratch it (physical fact). Test it to find out. (try it on other glass if you`re really skeptical, or on the neighbors car, you know the one with the cats :) ) or a company car or a junk yard car or just try it

Kinda like the CD test :D

ISLANDSBEST
09-08-2001, 01:09 AM
Generally, the simpler the better. This is a bit -- well, a lot -- purist: I use MF and distilled water if the windows are not too bad. If you detail often, they seldom get bad.

I think the best approach (and, not just on windows) is frequent, short detailing sessions, as opposed to letting the car go, then having to have longer, more serious sessions with more serious products like steel wool (even if it is very fine).

Don2000g
09-08-2001, 12:38 PM
Its certainly impossible to argue with that logic.

fb
09-10-2001, 01:53 PM
I work in the aquarium industry and have been using 0000 steel wool on aquarium glass for years with no noticeable damage. I am, however, unsure as to how aquarium glass compares with the glass used on automobiles so could not positively say that this would be safe.

Cybercowboy
09-10-2001, 02:20 PM
When I did my neighbor`s Dodge minivan yesterday, it had a lot of impossible to remove water spots on the highly tinted windows. These windows take up approximately the square footage of an olympic-size swimming pool.

So, this method worked great for me. Since I had used the Zaino glass polish before I knew that it was dusty on removal.

1. Dawn wash, dry with an absorber and an MF.

2. Clay using Zaino or Mothers clay. I used both on the van since she dropped the Mothers clay I had her buy. Note: Use the "ruined" bar on really grungy areas by the wheel wells after cleaning it as best as you can. Never use it on any body panels again, IMHO.

3. I clay the windows also. Why not?

4. Now apply Zaino window polish using back-and-forth strokes and a small yellow foam pad. Let it dry for 15 minutes or so. It is slightly abrasive and I try to avoid any contact with paint.

5. Buff the windows with a white 100% cotton towel. You don`t need a big one - I did the entire van with a Fieldcrest hand towel easily. I then put that towel in the "too-be-washed" basket.

6. QD the area around the windows using Z6 and a slighly damp MF towel. This will get rid of 98% of the dust.

7. Z1 all paint, windows, chrome, and hard smooth plastic, then Z2 on the windows and Z2 or Z5 on the rest. I do the windows with Z1 and Z2 only. Some say just use Z2 on the windows, no Z1. I`ve tried both ways, and like Z1 first. Just my preference. I do wheels the same as the windows (no polish - just wheel cleaner, Dawn, rinse, clay before Zaino.)

8. After wiping off the Z2 and/or Z5, allow it to sit in the sun several hours. Then QD with Z6.

This resulted in a truly impressive look. I used the Viking foam pads from AutoZone for the Zaino this time (except for the glass polish) and really like them. I`ve used the Zaino pads and they work well. But the Viking foam pads have a built-in "grip" and have the ability of creating a very thin layer. Just what I wanted.

andrew43
09-10-2001, 02:42 PM
I didn`t have good (nor bad) experience with applying z2 to the windshield. It beads water well but it doesnt run off as well as with Rain-X. My windshield was clean (cleaned with a MF and distilled water) but I didn`t clay it or anything. BTW, it was on the <6 month old BMW Windshield. So, IMHO it is better than nothing, but if you are going to go through the effort, use a product made for this type of thing (The STP stuff, Rain-X, etc.).

imported_maesal
09-10-2001, 03:23 PM
the only reason I asked the question, is that often times, even after a thorough wash and dry, There are sometimes still contaminants "stuck" on my windshield. The dried on bug guts, etc. I never even thought about claybarring the windshield, but that`s certainly an option.

I`m not sure how many of you guys race your cars (maybe I`m not as hardcore as some of you guys :) ). But I do, and the window chalk where you write your cars number on the windows, is very difficult to get off. (and one race, it rained, and my brother, trying to turn on the headlights, turned on my windshield wiper, and that sent the stuff flying all over. I still haven`t forgiven him :) )

Anyways, here`s my car. I`m hesitant to do the klasse/blitz combo just yet, because everytime I wax, I can see the door dings ever that much more. And everytime I see the door dings, it raises my blood pressure. I can`t afford to pop a vien right now. :) So I`m going to wait until my Paintless Dent Remover to take care of those before going all out. So for now, I just use the store bought Megiuars Deep Crystal polish followed by Hi-Tech Yellow Carnuaba. One of these day, I`ll be posting pictures of my liquid glass finish for all you to gawk at.

http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/bham/68small.jpg (`http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/bham/68small.jpg`)
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/bham/65small.jpg (`http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/bham/65small.jpg`)