PDA

View Full Version : any cyclo users here?

Pages : [1] 2 3

boywonder
09-06-2001, 11:35 AM
Vehicle tested on: 1994 Maxima GXE (aka Maxine)

A few weeks ago, I wanted to clay the Maxima but wanted something retail. So, for kicks, I tried the Meguiar`s Quik Clay (AutoZone; Blue Island, IL). Well, in terms of application, it was pretty easy and pliable. However, it did leave some clay residue in areas where the lubricant ran thin.

More recently, I tried the Mother`s clay kit (Pep Boys; Melrose Park, IL) just for comparison`s sake. I was more impressed with the smoothness of the Mother`s system than the Meguiar`s. My biggest gripe was that the clay bar is a bit harder to pinch off than the Meguiar`s was. My guess is that the Mother`s is a synthetic clay. I showed a colleague of mine at work the results and he was impressed.

Verdict: While the Meguiar`s is more pliable, it does leave a lot of clay residue that forces the user to rewash the vehicle (which I did). The Mother`s left no residue and made the car feel much smoother than the Meguiar`s.

Don2000g
09-10-2001, 09:22 PM
I don`t think I`ve read a good review of the Meguiar`s clay from a senior member here on the board yet. And the trend seems to continue.

JasonC8301
09-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Still kicking myself for the Meguiars clay I bought (Don, this clay really is a PIA to use compared to Mothers). The container it came in was nice thogh, I will be re-uisng it when my Meguiars runs out.

boywonder
09-11-2001, 01:35 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000g [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I don`t think I`ve read a good review of the Meguiar`s clay from a senior member here on the board yet. And the trend seems to continue. [/b]</blockquote>
I am going to do a full claying on the Navigator since the weather is much nicer this week. I will be putting some pics up when I finish the truck.

Blackmirror
09-18-2001, 09:42 PM
When using the clay, will it remove old wax?

boywonder
09-19-2001, 10:13 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Blackmirror [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>When using the clay, will it remove old wax? [/b]</blockquote>
:o
No, it won`t. Clay just gets rid of bonded contaminants. You would have to wash the car in Dawn to remove the old wax from the paint.

rmccall6
10-04-2001, 05:38 PM
Actually, clay does remove wax, not quite as well as a polish or dawn, but it will definatelly remove your wax.

Ron Ketcham
10-04-2001, 07:26 PM
Clay will remove waxes as it does it`s job.

Just doesn`t really remove what needs to be removed as it can not go "down" into the clear and remove acids, penetrated ferrous metal particles.

:down

rmccall6
10-04-2001, 08:44 PM
Ron, i purchased your ABC system, how do you think it compares to clay in terms of industrial fallout, i think i know the awnser, but i know i can count on a detailed and explanative awnser from you. Thanks alot.

boywonder
10-05-2001, 09:45 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Ron, i purchased your ABC system, how do you think it compares to clay in terms of industrial fallout, i think i know the awnser, but i know i can count on a detailed and explanative awnser from you. Thanks alot. [/b]</blockquote>
Count me in on that as well. I am curious.

Scottwax
10-05-2001, 05:46 PM
I don`t like the Mother`s clay at all. It is too stiff, hard to flatten out and really isn`t very strong, especially when it come to paint overspray. I`ve tried the Meguiars bar and I like it more than Mothers, but the best (at least at the retail level) is Clay Magic. The bar lasts a long time, is stronger than the Mother`s bar, and it easy to mold into a flat shape. Like the Meguiars, it is stickier than the Mother`s bar, but usually, you can just spray on more detail spray and clay over the residue and it comes off.

Clay Magic comes in both blue and red, like Meguiars has a retail version and a pro version. Clay Magic red is for serious overspray problems and like Meguiars Body Shop Pro version, it is very sticky. I usually cut the Clay Magic blue with about 30% of the Meguiars Pro stuff. It adds strength to the Clay Magic, but sticks much less than the Meguiars Pro.

Bottom line, my experience is that the stronger the clay, the stickier it is. Still is easier than trying to compound severe paint overspray.

imported_jose
11-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi guys i just want to start out by saying that some products are better then others , but meguiars is just a little better, and yes i used both. I do full detailing on all high end cars like lambo`s and so on , but it not the product its the person who does it and if they know what to do and how to do it. As for me i started in aircraft and worked my way to all these beautiful car so some times its not what you use its how you do it. thanks

BigJimZ28
11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
nice.... a seven year bump for the new guy

nice to see you using the search

Junebug
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Aint` much changed in seven years - Scott`s still right!

jdmer
11-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but which clay do folks like Scott and the other pros use? I only have access to Megs and Mothers OTC. So, I`m going to have to order my clay.

Are Sonus, Four Star, Pinnacle, good choices?