PDA

View Full Version : Tire Cleaning

imported_roadk
09-05-2001, 08:49 PM
what is best to remove bugs after a long drive?

is that hard `bug sponge` from pinnacle safe?

when detail spray isn`t enough, what can be used, and who makes it?

thanks!:)

YoSteve
09-05-2001, 09:13 PM
(As you implied), the best way to remove bugs may be the best way to remove your protection (and since some of us have multiple coats of wax). If quick detail doesn`t remove them (try putting piece of tissue or paper towel over the bug spray QD on the towel and let it "stick" and soak in. Then wipe off with an MT.

Otherwise you could wash your car. I like to use a foaming dispenser and "spot foam" (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=2486`) the bugs and let that soak in.

imported_Page
09-05-2001, 09:25 PM
One of David B`s FAQ and detailing tips on removing bugs involves the following.

1. Take a dab of Pinnacle Paint work Cleansing Lotion on a soft tissue and set on top of the bug splat.

2. Let sit for a few minutes to soften up the bug residue.

3. Remove the tissue, and wipe the spot with the clean side of the tissue.

I have also used Tarminator(not really good in my experience), and Blue Magic Bug and Tar gel(removed all tar and bugs).

Of course, after using these products, you would want to re-wax, or re-seal the spots where the remover/solvent was applied.

Try Yo-Steve`s tip if you don`t want to re-wax.

Man, summer is almost over, and with that, the bugs will be gone for a while at least! Oh, no, forgot about winter road salt and chemicals..ah well, a detailer`s work is never done.

SJ

YoSteve
09-05-2001, 09:53 PM
the object is to maximize the amount of west nile virus mosquitoes you can hit

imported_Blackfire
12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I have used just about every tire cleaner out there, and there is always that pesky residue left behind. This morning, I soaked, scrubbed and thoroughly rinsed a relatively clean tire. After blow drying and towel drying, the cotton ball is still showing black residue that is left behind.

Tires were dressed 10 days ago with a free sample of System One.

What is the ultimate cleaner that I can depend on to get the tire thoroughly clean? Or, does it really need to be that clean before dressing it?

Maybe I`m being too fussy?

TimG
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I`ve been using Meguiars Super Degreaser with great results. Never failed me yet. Used both 10:1 and 4:1. They do smell funky. :huh:

imported_Flash Gordon
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I have used just about every tire cleaner out there, and there is always that pesky residue left behind. This morning, I soaked, scrubbed and thoroughly rinsed a relatively clean tire. After blow drying and towel drying, the cotton ball is still showing black residue that is left behind.

Tires were dressed 10 days ago with a free sample of System One.

What is the ultimate cleaner that I can depend on to get the tire thoroughly clean? Or, does it really need to be that clean before dressing it?

Maybe I`m being too fussy?

Stop appling that greasy mess to your tires. They are infected w/tire grease syndrome...you have a buildup, that untill you wing yourself off dressing you`ll be fighting till your dying day

imported_Blackfire
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
But......they look pretty. :)

Old Pirate
12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Give ARO a shot at full strength, I think it will leave those tire`s clean as a whistle.......

imported_Luster
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I like to use Westley`s Bleche Wite. Great on blackwalls. Super clean.:biggrin:

Tucson buffer
12-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Westley`s or Grease Lighting (5:1)....Angelo, ARO??:confused:

Street Dreams
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Westley`s or Grease Lighting (5:1)....Angelo, ARO??:confused:

Amazing Roll Off.

Tires are something that need to be cleaned super well, I find that an APC 4:1 isnt strong enough, especially if tires have old dressing caked in the pores of the rubber. Plus using a soft brush is a no-no, you need thick stiff bristled tire brush, the megs one is awesome.

If you want the tire dressing YOU apply to go on smooth and leave a perfect finish behind (without low spots, streaking etc) than you need to really get tires 100% clean beforehand.

imported_firebird
12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Doesn`t anybody use BF Tire and Wheel cleaner? Cleans both at the same time and it`s safe for the wheels. I really like this stuff.

imported_Bunky
12-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Optimum Power Clean is my current favorite.