PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna vs Blackfire

BatKid
09-04-2001, 02:58 PM
Hi All,

I`m new to this forum and I`m already finding this very helpful. Anyway, I have a few questions that I would like to get some advice on...

I bought the mothers pre-wax treatment and it works alright but I`m just wondering if a claybar is better. Any opinions?

Also, I am using the Zymol wax after the pre-wax and it`s ok but I`m not sure if I should also use a polish as well? What brand of polish would you guys recommend?

Finally, my wife`s CRV has lots of chips on the top of the car (caused by bird poops and things), would a product like Langka help? Some of the chips are really big (like 2" X 3"). Should I just get a new paint job done?

Thanks.

DETAILKING
09-04-2001, 03:12 PM
I would clay the car....clay seems to get things out of paint that pre-cleaners can`t hack. What year and make is your car? What color? CLay will get the paint super smooth.

As for sealing it up, most forum members here opt for the best protection and use sythetic sealants such as KLASSE or Zaino. The consensus here is that Zymol gives a nice shine, but doesn`t last past a few car washes and looses slickness and shine quickly wash after wash. Whatever you decide, good luck, and welcome to the forum!

imported_gewb
09-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Haven’t used the Mother’s pre-wax cleaner, and their site doesn’t say if it’s a chemical or mechanical. Maybe Forrest will see this thread and clear it up, I think he works for Mother’s. I would add clay into your prep, it’s going to pull stuff out that products like Finesse-it 2, SMR, Pinnacle cleansing lotion etc. won’t.

Klasse and Zaino are the two most popular systems. I had been using Imperial Hand Glaze and Blitz carnauba with good results. I just switched over to Klasse this spring and really like it. Much more durable than the IHG/Blitz combo and it looks just as good.

Welcome to the board BTW

rmccall6
09-04-2001, 04:10 PM
Quote from mothers: "Pase 1 (pre-wax cleaner), is a combination of mild polishes and chemical cleaners." Looks like a combination of both mechanical and chemical.

BatKid
09-04-2001, 05:01 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

What year and make is your car? What color? CLay will get the paint super smooth.
</blockquote>

I just bought a new carbon blue (almost black) celica a month ago and so I`m getting into this car detailling thing. A lot of fun if you asked me. My wife has a 98 black CRV and that car worries me a little because the paint is cracking on the top of the car. I`m just wondering if I need a new paint job.

ALM
09-04-2001, 05:08 PM
Bird Bombs are very acidic, and will corrode your paint if allowed to sit on the paint. You could try to polish the roof of your wife`s CRV and see what happens, it might make it better or worse depending on how much oxidized paint is removed. Whatever you do, I`d start using a sealeant instead of Zymol for your next wax job, it will look better and last longer.

Michael H
09-04-2001, 05:32 PM
My comments on Mothers California Gold Paint Cleaner are:

1. Does a reasonable job, but not as good as Meguiars Deep Crystal Cleaner;

2. Remove product once it dries to a haze, do not leave on for any extended time, as it becomes difficult to remove. Important not to use too much product on the buffing pad as makes to harder to apply and remove;

3. Harder to remove than Meguiars Deep Crystal Cleaner.

Just for the record I think Mothers make several good products, but here Meguairs have the better product. If you are looking for a polish Mothers Reflections is a good product. My observations are:

1. very easy to apply and remove from the car;

2. leaves a deep shine on the car;

3. Reflections is a bit of hybrid polish/wax. By this I mean you do not need to wax after the polish if you do not wish;

4. removes tar, but requires more effort than a paint cleaner;

5. when used in combination with Mothers California Gold Wax, dirt, bugs and insects just wash off easily (if you wash within 24 hours of hitting the bugs);

6. can be left on overnight and easily removed next day.

forrest@mothers
09-04-2001, 10:43 PM
Pre-Wax Cleaner removes oxidation and feathers the edges of swirls, spiderwebbing, etc., reducing their visibility. As several mentioned from our site, it`s a combo chemical/true polish. It really doesn`t do the same thing as clay.

Clay removes the bonded contaminants from the paint surface. While PWC will do some of that, it`s not near as efficient as a clay bar for doing so.

I think they`re both needed, at different times, and for different things. PWC is great for optically cleaning a paint surface, something clay does not do. I generally recommend using PWC twice a year for the average consumer. Other companies make similar products, Meguiar`s among them.

If PWC is difficult to remove, that`s sometimes a sign of over-application of product.

For consumers using our "Natural Formula Waxes (carnauba without any cleaners in them), PWC is necessary to prep the surface, otherwise they`d end up with shiny, dirty, paint.

Hope this helps.

fairlane32
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, but I am not new to PAC. It`s been a few years since I`ve used any PAC products (last time was Klasse) since most of my cars have been leased. I just bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe so I wanted to catch up on some reading since I probably will be keeping the truck much longer. I still have my polyclay bars, seasponge, Eimann Fabrik cleaner, 303 protectant and Lexol for the interior, and about 5 bottles of Eagle Wet Wipe N Shine. :D
If I remember, (correct me if I missed something) the proper procedure was to:
wash wheels,
then wash and dry the rest,
clay the car,
then polish and wax (or sealant).

I`m not that into detailing, but I`d like to protect my new truck for as long as I can, and I`d like to do it right. That said, I don`t plan on buying machine polishers or entering my truck in any car show Stop

I wanted your opinion on the pros and cons of a Blackfire kit vs a Menzerna kit? :StarWars: Does one of them last longer or is more durable than the other? Shine to me is nice but not as important as durability, ease of application and level of protection, etc...

If there is already numerous threads discussing this please accept my apologies, I did do a search but didn`t really see anything relevant.

Thanks,

Philip

imported_Luster
12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey Philip... Welcome to TID!!!

I can`t really answer your question, because I haven`t done a comparison between the two products.

But I just wanted to bump this back to the top so maybe you can get some replies.

Again, Welcome!!!:biggrin:

Old Pirate
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Welcome aboard to TID fairlane32, the proper procedure for you vehicle is :
Wash your car and wheels also, then dry with a Big Blue Towel.
Use your Blackfire Polyclay bar with Blackfire Lubricant to remove any surface contamination like rail dust, air blown brake dust particles, industrial fallout and over spray by "pulling" it off the surface.

After that you might need to polish your vehicle, you can use Menzerna Final Polish II or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish by hand to remove very minor swirls and clean you paint to get it ready for your final job.
Ether apply a wax or a sealant to you vehicle (Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna FMJ).

The combination of Gloss Enhancing Polish and Blackfire Wet Diamond creates a liquid wetness that looks like you could reach into the finish. This combination is stunning on black, red and dark colors but still shimmers on white, grey and silver finishes. You can`t go wrong with either Kit IMO.

fairlane32
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys,
The color of my truck is a charcoal grey so as zoomzoom says, I probably can`t go wrong with either one. Just to clarify, the sealants usually last for about six months, right?:biggrin:

Puckman
12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
The life of any LSP depends on many different factors however I have found sealants to far outlast nuba`s in my operating environment. Both Menzerna and Blackfire are top of the line products and if applied properly will last at LEAST 2-3 months.

Todd@RUPES
12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the forum Fairlane!

I am not sure which kits you are talking about but in general the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant is going to out last Menzerna FMJ by a margin. Our latest version of Wet Diamond is really our best sealant yet and uses an evolution of the polymer technology that helped introduce FMJ (and Menzerna) to the American consumer.

While it is possible that Wet Diamond could last 6 months there are a lot of external factors from surface prep, to application, to the enviroment that will affect how quickly the product wears away. I have seen upwards of six months on my wife`s.

To maximize the durability of Wet Diamond I would recommend wiping the paint down with Blackfire Deep Gloss spray sealant every month or so!

fairlane32
12-02-2009, 03:47 PM
th0001, Puckman,
Thanks for the info. Given that there are many variables to be taken into account, is there some tell tale sign, that you guys use (possibly from looking at something on the car) that says its time to reapply?

Thanks again o` wise ones.. :notworthy:

The kits I am referring to are these:

http://properautocare.com/blaccomkit.html

http://properautocare.com/mecarcakit.html