PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing and the right tools

imported_Kevin Brown
09-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Hi everybody. :) Want to know if AIO cleans stubborn brake dust on alloy rims? I have some stubborn brake dust stains on my rims. I applied mothers carnauba wax(liquid) in April and didn`t wash the car till July. Well, the brake stains are etched in the wheel now. I tried just normal car wash and a sponge but only got some of it out. I rubbed and rubbed but it`s still there. Any suggestions? :)

scottybob1
09-04-2001, 10:18 AM
Once you get the wheels clean, you can use AIO/SG to help protect them from future dust problems. I had some stubburn stains on my alloy wheels and someone recommended the Wenol metal polish. I bought both the red and blue tubes, red is the heavy cleaner and blue is the polish. I`m sold on that stuff now, best I have ever used on wheels. Once I got the wheels where I wanted them, I applied a heavy coat of SG and buffed. Now any dirt or brake dust just rinses off.

DETAILKING
09-04-2001, 10:20 AM
I have removed this residue in the past with mothers metal polish, nu finish wax, simple green, or just car wash or wheel cleaner used with a special rough spongy brush I bought that was designed to remove brake dust. The brush works great. Do this once, apply a sealant to your wheels, and maintain with car wash every time you wash the car.

imported_Kevin Brown
09-04-2001, 10:21 AM
Thanks for replying. Where did you get the Wenol?

imported_Kevin Brown
09-04-2001, 10:28 AM
Any metal polish will work? I believe they are clearcoated. It`s a 99 Maxima with the five star OEM 16" rims. Fellow Maxima owners probably know this style.

YoSteve
09-04-2001, 10:36 AM
might be a job for 3M finish restorer? I don`t know if SMR would do that trick (if it`s only for swirls) but finish restorer did great job on 5 year old surface oxidation on the last car I detailed (quoted it has AIO on steroids, cause of the stonger solvent content).

If not, maybe clay, maybe a some hi intesity cleaner, maybe some scrubbing with a brush, maybe some P21S weel cleaner. (did any of that help?)

DETAILKING
09-04-2001, 11:10 AM
eom

picorrect
09-04-2001, 11:57 AM
How about some Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner to get the brake dust off? I use it and it works great.

Don2000g
09-05-2001, 05:01 PM
Totally agree, a wheel cleaner should be your first step. And yes the Hi Intensity is a good one. Laters.

imported_TLMitchell
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
This weekends detail of the GF`s black SUV knocked the crap out of me. There was no joy involved, it was pure misery. Reflecting on this I had to ask myself if I was getting lazy or just starting to wear down after 54 years.

The conclusion I reached is I don`t much like physical labor anymore. I`m at a point in my life where many lifelong goals are within reach... every day will be Saturday in a year and a half... and I want to relax more and work less. :w00t: I find myself paying others to do much of the menial stuff I used to enjoy doing myself. However, that does NOT include anything to do with the appearance of my vehicles!

I`ve used a rotary to detail my stuff for years. I`ve currently got an ATD budget model that`s served well and has some real nice features. After hefting it around for a weekend about a year and a half ago I started thinking there`s gotta be a better way so I started looking for alternatives which led me to YouTube videos, Forums and DA polishers.

I picked up an original PC DA and some pads and found it lacking. It leaves my hands numb from vibration and it really isn`t the tool for the job with large pads, IMO. So I grabbed a Flex 3401 and found it much more capable. However, after a day lugging it around, although much lighter than the rotary, I once again found it to be drudgery using a larger machine.

I`ve been using the PC for most of my personal details and for friends and family. I no longer look to try and turn someone`s sow`s ear into a silk purse just for the gratification of the before and after results. It`s more work than I feel like doing. My personal vehicles rarely need any serious correction. If so it`s just a spot job or two and getting rid of some swirls here and there. They usual get the full detail treatment a couple of times a year with monthly touchups here n there. For my uses the equipment I`ve got is either overkill and unneeded or as in the case of the PC, not quite as user friendly as I`d prefer.

I`m thinking of peddling the rotary, Flex and PC and moving to something more versatile and user friendly. Kevin`s review as well as some vids I saw of Joe Fernandez using the new G110v2 got me thinking about the Megs DA. Others like Griots new DA polisher. I`m thinking for larger areas 5.5" pads will fit the bill, I tend to use 4"ers on other than the wide open spaces and 3" in tight spots. As mentioned, my use would be mostly for polishing with the option for serious correction if needed.

I`ve also got a 3" Metabo SXE400. Seemed like a good idea at the time as it`s handy for hard to reach spots, especially on motorcycles. However, this thing was never quite ready for prime time, IMO. Anything approaching moderate pressure stops the rotation and you`re left with an anemically jiggling pad. Mike Phillips had a very favorable review of Griot`s new Pro 3" polisher reporting it had enough oomph to remove sanding scratches. Sure sounds like it`d have plenty of capability for polishing motorcycle tanks...

So I`m considering clearing out the tools that I either don`t use or don`t like, including a rainbow of pads and replacing everything with just a G110v2 and the Griot`s 3"er. Probably simplify the pads down to 2 with the Hydro Techs... 1 color for poilshing/cutting, 1 for polishing/finishing.

I started this post as a method to kind of think out loud. I`d be interested in any thoughts or comments. I know a lot of you that detail more extensively than I can`t have enough machines and pad options at your disposal and probably think I`m nuts. That`s a whole nuther debate :eek:

TL

Junebug
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I hear you on the down-sizing, I`ve started taking that approach to detailing and cutting way back on the number of products I have for any one job - like do you really need 8 different QD`s? On the subject of buffers, I`ve had a PC, PCXP, Cyclo, Flex (DA) and Makita rotary, oh and there was that POS Griots 3" electric toothbrush I returned to AG, I see they now have a new and improved version - whoop de doo! I still have the PC, PCXP and Cyclo. I like these machines and hope to one day get the eldest daughter interested in detailing, at least for the money. I only use 4" and 5.5" pads, was using LC orange for correction, white for polishing. I have the new Hydro pads and will be doing more tests in the future. Oh- get the gold pad for applying LSP`s - there is NONE better.

If vibration is an issue with you, the Cyclo is the answer, smooth as a Makita without the negatives that a rotary can bring. And you might benefit from some good mechanics gloves too. Just my 2 cents for today.

JB