PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2 3

andrew43
09-04-2001, 09:32 AM
So, I have had this stuff for a few weeks now and first tried it on the badly abused TL (`http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr/TL3`). It seemed to work okay but I found it hard to spread. When it dried, it left a very matte finish, basically like stock but cleaner.

Instead of plunking down more $$ for some 303 (which I plan on trying soon), I decided to dress the BMW`s (`http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr`) dash with the stuff. The difference was that I used the product much more liberally this time than the last. I dampened a terry applicator well with the product, and worked it into my black dash and grey doors. About 20 minutes after applying, it seemed dry and left a beautiful healthy sheen (but not shine) to the dash. I guess it was not fully dry though as a day later, I noticed the dash was as matte as it was before applying the protectant, but the colors were more vibrant (black was blacker, grey was greyer!). So, I am very happy with the product now. The bottle says that it is loaded with UV blockers so that is a good thing. The scent (lemon) was pleasant, and I could BARELY smell it (although it was nice when I caught a whiff) until the dash dried. Now that it is completely dry, no smell.

So, my previous complaint was that it was hard to apply. Use a good amount and everything works fine. I have not tried the 303 but recommend that you guys try this product out. It works very well.

I can probably snap a pic or two tonight after work and post it.
:up

YoSteve
09-04-2001, 12:22 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Yell00ITR [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I noticed the dash was as matte as it was before applying the protectant, but the colors were more vibrant (black was blacker, grey was greyer!). [/b]</blockquote>
I was having a hard time trying to relate how well I thought it worked, but (whatever your name is) you nailed it exactly.

I have but one suggestion, I think that cloth applicators smear the stuff around while any sort of sponge or foam applicator (the same foam you use to apply SG) makes a world of difference in "depositing" the dressing. You just spray or tip the open container onto the sponge/foam and wipe away.

Your re-review has certainly made my week :) and I`m glad that it works well on a BMW, as well as other cars (tested so far on Saturn, Alero, VW dashes)

andrew43
09-04-2001, 01:30 PM
I was going to use a foam applicator (what I used on the TL), but I didnt have any new ones available, so I went with a terry one. It left some lint so I had to follow up later with a California Dash Duster.

BTW, my handle on this board relates to one of the cars I have..a Yellow 2000 Integra Type R (ITR).

JasonC8301
09-04-2001, 05:13 PM
I was trying to find the BM today at Autozone. Found the professional dash protectant. Did not buy it because it said no water formula or something.

I did buy 23 oz of Dri-Clean carpet cleaner for $3 though.

Jason

YoSteve
09-04-2001, 05:19 PM
Yes that other stuff is bad don`t get the waterless formula, AKA the one in the clear botttle.

andrew43
09-05-2001, 08:52 AM
Like Steve has said many times, this one is called "semi-gloss" and has a label on it stating that it has the most UV protection. If you open the bottle, it has a milky appearance and a refreshing light lemon smell. Remember, don`t use this if you want a glossy appearance. Even though it is called "semi-gloss", it is about as matte as you can get IMO.

DETAILKING
09-05-2001, 08:58 AM
http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr/s4-1.html (`http://www.geocities.com/yell00itr/s4-1.html`)

Looks great whatever was used......

andrew43
09-05-2001, 09:17 AM
That is zaino alright! All the cars on my website have been treated to Zaino products exclusively (sans the Dawn wash and Mother`s clay) except for the "crappier" pics of the `98 White 3.2 TL and the GS300. Those pictures were not taken by me and were posted because my friends like to see their cars on the web LOL.

Vadar
09-05-2001, 09:32 AM
I was at walmart the other day and picked up some of this black magic semi-gloss dash protectant.

Tried it last night on the dash of my Alfa 164. Looks Great!!!

Can this stuff be used on other stuff like rubber trim, tires, plastic?

Dom

1991 Alfa 164S

YoSteve
09-05-2001, 10:04 AM
Dom, I am very happy that you found BM dash (semi-gloss) to work for you. I have found it works well on rubber stripping, plastic, hoses under the hood, any color plastic, etc. I use it now on my tires (have to use a good amount) and so far (2 weeks) the tire is still black. Even though it is completely gone by now, the tire is still black (relate that to when I use Maguires and after it wore out it turned really brown :( ) So the tire thing is still in the works but it seems to be good for now.

:bounce .................................................. .......................................... :bounce

Don2000g
09-05-2001, 05:46 PM
Steve, how would you compare the finish from your favorite product with say the 303? Laters.

YoSteve
09-05-2001, 07:30 PM
Don, someone`s going to have to send me a sample to find that one out :D

I recall (others don`t be offended) that someone else said you have to buff 303 to have it look evenly. With BM you just apply and let dry, if it dries streaky (which has never happened to me) then you didn`t apply enough.

JonB
09-05-2001, 07:50 PM
Pinnacle Vinyl Protectant dries very matte finish. Nice but expensive. I have also used 303 with similar results, a little less expensive.

H

backwoodredneck
09-22-2001, 11:47 AM
for my dash, but found these...

3Mâ„¢ Leather and Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer, 16 oz, PN 39040

and

3Mâ„¢ Refreshâ„¢ Vinyl & Leather Protectant, Cucumber/Melon Scent, PN 03545.

Are they any good for my dash??

Thanks in advance! :cool:

andrew43
09-22-2001, 01:41 PM
Cant tell you about the 3M stuff (no personal experience) but do have more to report on the Black Magic stuff (which I have been able to find at EVERY auto parts store around me).

I tried it on my Integra`s dash which is less "rough" than the BMW`s dash. I used a saturated foam applicator. On parts of the dash, the BM looked like it dried VERY streaky, and I used a ton. This was about 1 hour after I applied it. I was rather disappointed. However, the next morning, I got in my car and the whole dash looked great...very even coverage with a beautiful matte finish that still looked "dressed".

On the BMW dash, I think it may be time to reapply. It has been..umm..2 or 3 weeks since I used it and it seems to be gone now. So, maybe it isnt the longest lasting product but I would not expect any water based product to last a long time.

Conclusion, another :up for the Black Magic Semi-Gloss Dash Protectant.