PDA

View Full Version : Rasky`s Auto Detailing: Black 2009 Chevy 2500HD "BMFT"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Happywax2
09-04-2001, 08:06 AM
This has happened to me many times recently - I enjoy my day by getting the car looking really good. Then later that night, or overnight, I find that a cat has walked all over the car, and has left its paw prints on all the horizontal survaces of the car. I feel like screaming. Not only is it frustrating to see my work go down the drain, but I`m sure the claws are ruining the finish/paint.

I see a few cats in the neighborhood, but don`t know who they belong to. Does anybody know of a humane cat repellent or some flowers that cats don`t like? Or any other humane suggestions?

I`ve considered a car cover, but this is my daily driver and I think it would be annoying to cover/uncover every time I want to go somewhere.

mx5
09-04-2001, 08:14 AM
Find out who owns them and file a city complaint. They are fully liable for their pets. I am sure the owner of the cat would be very upset if you walked up to their vehicle and started scratching their car with a key.

jkochis
09-04-2001, 08:54 AM
Use a HaveAHeart trap and catch them unhurt. Ask around or post signs for the caught cat. No claim, call the pound. Cats are easy to catch in these traps.

mx5
09-04-2001, 09:02 AM
Take a picture of the damage to your vehicle. If the cat has a tag file a complaint with the city in that owners name. The city will probably do nothing though.

There was the case of the man who filed multiple complaints with the city many times about a dog that barked all night and kept him awake. He wasn`t getting sleep and it was affecting his job. The city did nothing. He went out and shot the dog. Sad way to deal with the problem. He is now doing two years in jail.

picorrect
09-04-2001, 09:05 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by waxman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Take a picture of the damage to your vehicle. If the cat has a tag file a complaint with the city in that owners name. The city will probably do nothing though.
There was the case of the man who filed multiple complaints with the city many times about a dog that barked all night and kept him awake. He wasn`t getting sleep and it was affecting his job. The city did nothing. He went out and shot the dog. Sad way to deal with the problem. He is now doing two years in jail. [/b]</blockquote>
Guess you don`t want to hear my idea then, huh? ;)

mx5
09-04-2001, 09:24 AM
Exactly. The owners are the problem. I just think it is too much trouble to go through for the cat. Cat owners let their pets wander around. I knew of someone that swerved to avoid a cat and smashed their vehicle. He needs to find out who these cat owners are and put a stop to this.

Are we getting way off the topic of this forum? :) Maybe he could spray the cat with wax and it would just slide off the car ;)

carljr1989
09-04-2001, 11:17 AM
I know of a guy that shoots them with his pellet rifle and then buries them in his yard for compost. He has the nicest plants in the area.

I guess once the cats leave your property they become fair game.

mx5
09-04-2001, 11:26 AM
I don`t think I would ever swerve too avoid a cat. Just hit the brakes. I saw the damage that can happen when you go straight into a ditch after swerving, possibly breaking your neck. I think a humans life is more important than a cats(but that`s another debate). A lot more damage can be done than that cat must be worth to it`s owner.

imported_gewb
09-04-2001, 11:47 AM
Try calling a pet shop I’m sure they can suggest something humane like defence or something. Maybe some motion-activated lights in the driveway might help as well. I actually had a cat fight on the hood of my car once, it was not pretty..the hood that is. I also got a nice set of hoof marks in the hood when a deer decided to use my car as a launching pad to the back yard, but I didn’t go on a ‘Carl from caddy shack’ rampage.

imported_Page
09-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Eurosport...

I have to admit I chuckled a bit when I read your post...ONLY for a minute though. I too own a cat, and no..I would`nt want the neighbors taking shots at my pet with a pellet rifle.

Henry K, you are right about the Cayenne pepper, I sprinkle it around my wife`s outdoor plants to repel animals.

I don`t suppose you can cover your car in red pepper? :)

There needs to be SOME type of delivery mechanism for the pepper...maybe small pots of the pepper set around the parked car?

The cat is probably walking on the car early in the morning, and also probably licking the "dew" off the car. I have seen cats do this to my car before as well.

Good luck

SJ

andrew43
09-04-2001, 11:55 AM
Use a car cover but spray it liberally with "bitter apple" spray. It is cheap stuff that you can find in any pet store. It is normally used for dogs and cats that like to bite/lick themselves because of allergies but it is so nasty that they will tend to stay away if they smell it. That is about as humane as you can get.

YoSteve
09-04-2001, 01:39 PM
Get a Beetle and Klasse/Blitz it up really nice. No cat will last 1 second on that hood or roof :D

ru1thirst
09-04-2001, 01:46 PM
I had many suggestions. Some of them here. What I have found to work is moth balls. I place them around my car and then smash them a bit. Smashing them makes them evaporate faster but it helps keep them in place from the wind or somebody kicking them. When I am done it looks like a crime scene. Chalk outline around my car. hehehe After doing this, I follow up with a mixture of garlic water sprayed around the same area. Just take minced garlic and boil it. Then let it cool and take the water and put it into a sprayer. Then just spray it everywhere. This combo has worked for me for about 2 months but I did break down and buy a cover just a few weeks ago. I cover my baby up at night to keep them off and now the spray and moth balls keep them away during the day. I have one of the Covercraft Noah covers. I luv it and it fits like a glove so you don`t have any worries about a cat getting under it at all. I thought it would be a PITA to put on and take off the cover but I now have a system and can put it on in about 2 min. and take it off and rolled in about 1. Not really that bad after you get used to it. I know that it has saved my car this combo but my plants have all died. Not enough cat fertilizer I guess. :)

Firescooby
09-04-2001, 04:01 PM
Well....y`all are gonna hate me but this is what I did.

The neighbor has cats coming out of their ears. They had at least 8 when this all started and they have more kittens now. They were climbing all over my brand new $35k truck and my fiance`s new car as well.

I was quick enough to catch one of them one day and I carried it next door. When the woman came to the door I asked her if it was her cat. She replied..."probably...kinda looks like one of them" I asked her how many she had. She said "oh...about 10 or 12" I told her that they were climbing all over our brand new vehicles and scratching it (they had) and that if it is her cat she is responsible. She said she could care less what was wrong with my car and slammed the door.

I called the sheriff`s department and asked them what I could do. They said I could file a complaint but that they get a BUNCH every day and have no way to handle them (no animal control) or I could sue (expensive).

So...very frustrated I took it into my own hands. First I tried to scare them off, then I tried spraying them with the water hose. Nothing worked except for that instant. Then one day I walked outside and one was on my truck. As it saw me it got up and ran/ jumped off my hood...leaving a terrible scratch.

I went next door and tried again. When she came to the door she said..."I told you I dont care what happens to your car!!!" And slammed the door.

Since then I have successfully killed 5 cats with my pellet gun. I leave them laying beside my vehicle overnight and then haul them off of the morning. Evidently it seems to be working. I havent seen them hardly at all in the last week.

TortoiseAWD
09-04-2001, 04:20 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by SCOOBY14B [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Well....y`all are gonna hate me but this is what I did.[/b]</blockquote>Accurate assessment. Instead of suing the owner, who is being an irresponsible SOB, you`re taking it out on the cats, who are just being, well, cats.

How far away is the nearest humane society? If they won`t come to you, catching the cats in a live trap and taking them to the pound is a much more humane solution than killing the animals with pellet gun, of all things. But, hey . . . pellets are only a few cents each, and it solves the problem with a minimum of effort (moral or physical) on your part, right? :rolleyes:

Tort