PDA

View Full Version : Meg`s 105 and 205 questions

YoSteve
09-03-2001, 04:03 PM
I detailed a horribly kept Saturn over the weekend (paid).

My new vac got it`s work out on about a full cup of dirt, debris, and cat litter (eech). The vac works great BTW.

I wiped down all the vinyl plastic and weather stripping with rubbing alcohol (looked clean and disinfects too).

Then I went nuts with my favorite Black Magic Dashboard Protectant (semi-gloss and not the waterless clear bottle clear formula). I applied a good amount an swiped ALL the plastic part. We`re talking seat belt buckles, rear speakers, oh shiznit bars, a/c controls, the brake and accelerator, everything. Everything came out streak free (despite what other`s have said, I thought I was going to see streaks but they dried up with time). It gave a very nice healthy glow (the inital smell is very citrussy until it dries). As always, I highly recommend it, I doubt I would use 303 on a car that I knew wasn`t going to be kept up with.

OKAY HERE`S THE QUESTION :)

What do people use on cleaning the rugs and maybe upholstery? I looked at some carpet cleaners (spray and agitate, then vacuum when dry). Are those any good? I know people want to "bissel" it, but I would think it would get to water-logged etc. Anyone have interior tips that involve fabric or rugs? Thanks in advance, Steve

JonB
09-03-2001, 04:09 PM
EF Carpet Cleaner works well. Spray, brush, let it dry and then vacuum up any residue. I have been very satisfied so far.

H

Cybercowboy
09-03-2001, 04:12 PM
I used some rubbing alcohol on my floormats the other day and was very happy. Wetted them down somewhat with water, then poured about 1 cup of alcohol on each mat. Scrubbed with a tire brush. Then rinsed with water and allowed them to dry in the sun for several hours. They looked great! Four year old mats. The drivers side mat is not quite brand new looking now, but the other three are. You can spot clean the interior with this method also. It`s flamable so use common sense!

jkochis
09-03-2001, 04:14 PM
Glad you had good results with the Black Magic on the interior, I still plan to try it out on my truck. Did you have to apply it on thick to get good coverage? When I used it on the exterior I noticed that it seemed to require quite a bit of product. Did you have to follow up with a dry towel after application?

For the carpets, I have tried that spray on, vacuum off stuff but was turned off by the lingering perfume smell from the "odorless" brand that I used. Since the carpet was a dark gray it`s hard to say how well it really performed.

For spot cleaning, I recently used the trick I read on here (sorry I forget who posted it) of using rubbing alcohol - worked perfect - I was amazed, an no lingering smells once it evaporates.

YoSteve
09-03-2001, 04:27 PM
RH - the product is thin like water. spreads on like you would spread on water, it drips if you get too much, so I recommend using a foam sponge or applicator until it looks wet (almost overlapping your application area) It doesn`t necessarily waste the product cause it all goes on (apply to sponge then wipe). No extra wiping necessary. After the dash, it works very well on smooth plastic, like the back of your review mirror, in that case just swipe away (like on radio controls and window controls). Give`s the greatest hint on new gleam not too much. (RH-I expect a full report, good or bad, thanks) Oh yeah, I use it on tires couldn`t get it to streak (must be Steve Magic) but they`re still black (all I`ve ever wanted in my tires to begin with) We`ll see and I`ll report on how long that lasts.

I was curious too whether it would onlywork on my VW dash, but worked out real nice on a Saturn (non 303 suitable).

BradE
09-03-2001, 05:05 PM
I used the alcohol trick on a really bad light grey floormat. It worked really good. It is not like new, but this mat was really bad. I misted the mat down with water, and then poured some alcohol on it and spread it out over the mat. I then scrubbed with a stiff brush, rinsed and let dry. It looked 100x better then it did before.

P.S-- I think it was MarylandBimmer that posted that little trick with the alcohol.

imported_Tuscarora Dave
11-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone, I am not new to detailing or to online detailing forums, I am mainly a weekend warrior mobile detailer. I am leaning toward changing to Meg`s #105 and #205 this next coming detailing season and want to gather as much information about these 2 products as possible.

I currently use a Makita rotary and a Cyclo but mostly use my Makita. I have been using various Botique type online products with fantastic results, (I feel the process is more responsible for the results than the particular products though) I am not cornering the market on detailing here in my area yet so I end up taking on a lot of extreme makeovers and time is of the essence on these jobs.

I have been seeing an increasing use of the #105 and #205 combo on the detailing boards and think I want to try this combo out. I am appealing to the members here who are currently using this combo to write some of your general thoughts or oppinions about this combo or help me to find current threads which contain information regarding this combo. Thanks in advance.

TOGWT
11-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Kevin Brown Method - Deleted link