PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing soap or just let it dry while washing?

515colfelt
09-02-2001, 02:08 PM
As there is a wealth of experience on this forum I thought I`d ask:

On my new Toyota Yaris T sport ( Great Fun!) the paint seems very good ,but I`m having some "Speed Wax and Speed Polish delivered.This seems to be a pure wax so I thought to apply a couple of thin coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss after the the polish for added protection. (No Klasse found in the U.K. at the moment).What do you guys think?

Thanks, Peter

imported_Bunky
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I saw a video where the detailer made the recommendation to not rinse off the soap as you wash even in the sun since it was better than rinsing and just letting water potentially dry on the paint. I assume it means a ph 7 balanced soap is better than alkaline water (usually much higher pH). The specific step was using a foam gun, leaving on the suds, and the washing the entire car, then rinse away the suds and dry.

Thoughts?

bill buxton
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I saw a video where the detailer made the recommendation to not rinse off the soap as you wash even in the sun since it was better than rinsing and just letting water potentially dry on the paint. I assume it means a ph 7 balanced soap is better than alkaline water (usually much higher pH). The specific step was using a foam gun, leaving on the suds, and the washing the entire car, then rinse away the suds and dry.

Thoughts?

I never will let the soap dry in any case, and I have hard water. I try and do sections at a time and never let the soap or car "water" dry when washing. I wash in the shade never letting water or soap dry, and rinse with lots of water.

You spend enough time here reading and some will tell you the sky is falling...:banghead:

imported_Mr. Clean
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
My SOP is to rinse the panels as I go. That is not to say that during the hotter part of the Summer that soap does not dry on a panel before it gets rinsed or that some soap doesn`t remain after the quick panel rinse. There are all kinds of things to worry about I guess, but this isn`t in the top 10 for me. If I were to argure the contrary to that detailer`s recommendation, I might offer that by leaving the soap residue to dry, you also leave any remaining contaminants suspended in the suds.

TOGWT
11-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Car wash concentrates use surfactants that lift and suspend the soil until it is rinsed safely away. As has been eluded to if you allow the concentrate to dry the soil will be re-deposited on the paint surface

imported_Tuscarora Dave
11-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I wash the top of the car and rinse, then wash one entire side and rinse and finally the remaining side. this way all the dirt is rinsed away from top to bottom. I normally am either washing my own car which is always protected with some form of LSP or I am washing something that I am about to clay and polish.

So I don`t worry about water being left behind because on my car I always follow up with or use a QD as a drying aid. On the car I am about to polish well...whatever spots may be left behing are about to be polished off anyway.

imported_Luster
11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I rinse as I go, using the sheeting method. When finished with washing, I rinse the entire car again before drying.

Puckman
11-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I use Bill`s method also, then a drip rinse to remove all unecessary water before drying. I also keep the entire vehicle wet to reduce water spots while moving from panel to panel.

BigAl3
11-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Thoughts?

are you referring to the new adam`s dvd?

Bluegrass Cat
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
are you referring to the new adam`s dvd?

That would be my guess since I just saw the video a day or so ago and saw Adam make that same comment. I do have heard numerous times that the better wash soaps have something in them to slow down the drying to prevent soap from drying on the car but I can`t imagine it lasts long enough to wash an entire car without rinsing until the end.

My method to prevent water spots is when rinsing after washing a section, not only do I rinse that section but I also give a quick rinse to the sections I have already washed. By rewetting those section I prevent those sections from drying. After I finish the lowest section of my car, I will rinse it and the entire car again and then start on my drying method ie., blow out all areas water gets trapped and then blow off as much water as will come off easily before drying the car.

Since using that above rinsing and drying method I have never had a problem with water spots from washing even though I rarely use a QD after a wash.

imported_Bunky
11-30-2009, 07:21 AM
I did not want to start a side discussion by identifying anyone.

I plan to start a second thread on another observation.

BigAl3
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
That would be my guess since I just saw the video a day or so ago and saw Adam make that same comment. I do have heard numerous times that the better wash soaps have something in them to slow down the drying to prevent soap from drying on the car but I can`t imagine it lasts long enough to wash an entire car without rinsing until the end.

My method to prevent water spots is when rinsing after washing a section, not only do I rinse that section but I also give a quick rinse to the sections I have already washed. By rewetting those section I prevent those sections from drying. After I finish the lowest section of my car, I will rinse it and the entire car again and then start on my drying method ie., blow out all areas water gets trapped and then blow off as much water as will come off easily before drying the car.

Since using that above rinsing and drying method I have never had a problem with water spots from washing even though I rarely use a QD after a wash.

12 ounces of soap used in the foam gun, yikes! you`ll be through that gallon in no time. I`ve experimented with many soaps and using it straight is not necessary IME, and a waste of product and money...

Bluegrass Cat
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
12 ounces of soap used in the foam gun, yikes! you`ll be through that gallon in no time. I`ve experimented with many soaps and using it straight is not necessary IME, and a waste of product and money...

I was wondering about that too. I would have thought you would need the soap diluted to some degree to get it to flow through the foam gun. I wonder if he was mistaken.

imported_Luster
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Maybe he meant to type "1-2 ounces".

Mobilejay
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Down here in Houston it gets hot and the sun will bake soap on a car. I rinse the part of the car in the shade to begin with. Wash one panel and rinse then move to the next. Once the whole car is done I sheet the water off.