PDA

View Full Version : ISP or not to ISP

Pages : [1] 2

YoSteve
08-29-2001, 10:33 PM
http://www.cjms.com/showerfoamgun.html (`http://www.cjms.com/showerfoamgun.html`)

highlights are the exact controls (like professional paint guns)
-Can be set from 1/4 oz. per gallon to 14 oz. per gallon.
-1 1/2 gallons per minute.

hook
08-29-2001, 10:48 PM
I`ve often been tempted to try one of those hose spray attachments you use for fertilizer or insecticide. not as fancy, but you can control the mix ratio....

And if I recalll they`re less than $10.

Jngrbrdman
08-29-2001, 10:52 PM
I don`t get what it does. It looks like your basic spray attachment filled with some sort of super strong detergent. Hardly worth 50 bucks. I bought a bottle just like it with car wash stuff in it for like 5 bucks and I felt ripped off. I would just rather do it with my hands. Unless I am missing something and this is a good deal. I guess I just don`t understand how I would use it.

YoSteve
08-29-2001, 11:04 PM
I guess I was jokingly saying I wanted this, but there`s some serious math behind this product, that makes it really work on paper. Spayers just mix and spray, not much foam other than when when the liquid hits the opening and the car.

On this beauty, if you set it at 1/4 oz. (of lets say pinnacle shampoo) per gallon of water and it puts out 1 1/2 gallons per minute then you can get a lot of foam controlled foam on a car pretty quickly.

You`ll basically get a whole minute of foam and just use a quarter oz. of Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo. That`s a lot of foam, that`s a lot of time to cover the car, and that`s not that much Pinnacle (you could probably get away with diluting the PBS too).

If I had money laying around I would totally get this.

Ron Ketcham
08-29-2001, 11:15 PM
First, we are approached everyday by someone trying to make a buck.

Don`t recall how first picked up on it, but he is correct, it is a garden type sprayer, look at the fluid movement numbers, 1 1/2 gallons a minute.

Second, all that foam is great, but unless you are using a very caustic type product, you will still have to create some agitation of the cleaning solution.

Third, if you don`t and you allow the cleaning solution to dry, then what are the consequences??

Of course, that depends on what is in the cleaning solution, the heat factors being generated by the sun, how much of a breeze there is to increase the loss or evarporation of the water.

etc, etc, etc,

Another gimmick to WOW the unsuspecting, the uninformed, kinda like the Simoniz Shamzz or whatever that gimmick was.

:eek:

YoSteve
08-30-2001, 12:25 AM
Sorry Ron, as you can clearly see, this site is not out to make a quick dollar, only because it`s a janitorial site with 100`s of products. They sell plastic gloves 100 for under $2.00. They don`t even want use this product for cars.

Not saying that this sprayer is the top quality as it says it is (for I have not tried it), but just like in professional paint sprayers you have control over every aspect of foaming (not that paint should foam) and spraying (something a cheap weed spayer will never do). Again it might take looking for the real version if this is in fact a knock off, but the real deal will give straight foam at a controlled soap level.

If you`ve kept up on some various posts you will see that I use a mini-microfiber towel to wipe it around (I imagine with this much foam a wetted mitt would do better) providing the agitation to remove dirt.

Who said anything about letting it dry? Just looking to replace my hand dispencer foamer method with a spayer. Besides the increased layering not to mention the increased surface area of bubbles takes way more latent energy to evaporate than soap water (that slides off paint) does.

Check out the specs again:

Water Pressure: 40 to 90 psi (for maximum accuracy 40 to 60 psi)

Output: 1 1/2 gallons per minute

Spray Pattern: Foaming attachement provides a fan spray, removes for a solid stream. Deflector attachment for non foaming fan spray patterns.

Anti-siphon: Protects water supply

Standard Single Ratio: 4 oz. of water weight chemical per gallon of solution sprayed

Customized Ratios: Can be set from 1/4 oz. per gallon to 14 oz. per gallon.

The spray pattern is reaching a bit, but customized ratios of soap to water content is not your regular sprayer.

ISLANDSBEST
08-30-2001, 08:51 AM
YoSteve -- Well put.

Hey, we <em class=`bbc`>need[/i] crazy gadgets! ;)

TonyTahoe
08-30-2001, 10:24 AM
I like this better. And its cheaper

http://www.ortho.com/content/products/images/2DIALSPY.jpg

About $7 at the Depot.

:D

YoSteve
08-30-2001, 11:08 AM
Again, a regular sprayer sprays; this is a industrial foamer.

It`s the difference between using a QD bottle to apply diluted PBS (spray) versus using a foaming hand dispenser to apply the same diluted PBS (foam).

With a foaming hand dispenser, I can foam (and clean) an entire car with 12oz water and 1 teaspoon of PBS.

I if I put 12oz of water and 1 teaspoon of PBS in an empty QD bottle and spray it on my car, it won`t do jack. You`ll get maybe the hood out of it, not to mention no foam.

The difference is the foam. My foam dispenser will sometimes foam up straight water (with residual soap in the container). That`s how effective it is at aerating liquid (that`s the foam dispensers ability)

Again, a sprayer will waste your shampoo and it won`t foam, don`t use it I won`t recommend it.

(somebody please post that they understand my theory behind the differences between sprayer and a foamer, and the analogy between those two and the hand foamer and regular spray QD bottle :( )

Lemonxxs
09-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Ok I admit I am bored but this one got me.

This is a great gadget. Ecspecially if you can get someone to help wash the car. One person sprays shampoo out of this thingy while the other scrubs and uses a bucket fo water to rinse the mitt.

I see huge savings of soap if you can work fast. If the bubbles ( foam is just a bunch of small bubbles) do not last long then this would be a waste.

How much is it?

I have been known to be tight with my money. Let me get my calculator here ........

quality car shampoo = 15 bucks lets say for 16 oz.

Say you can cut it to 1/2 oz for average size car.

That would give you .. 16 * 2 = 32 washes.

hmmmm how much would I spill pouring in that little bottle......... oh who cares my head hurts.

How much does it cost.....................

YoSteve
09-28-2001, 10:29 PM
Guess, please don`t rehash some of the old threads that people don`t like that I post on ;)

I`m a thinker and sometimes I think outloud; I like to get others` opinions so I can rethink my orginal views and change and refine them, just seems that these days people think that some thoughts are definitive and feel they need to knock them down. Thought is more dynamic than that and thinking deserves a better chance. Sometimes people don`t care for it, but sometimes one will be inspired. For that I thank you for being here.

Let`s sum up this industrial foamer compared to the $7 weed sprayer:

This industrial one has a guaranteed adjustable foaming output. It allows you to have exact control over the amount of soap mixing into the water to create pure foam.

Take a half an ounce of car shampoo and put it in a weed sprayer and its no better then pouring your bucket of soap water on your car (in other words a weed sprayer with soap water is pointless). Put all the soap in it and you`ll waste the whole bottle.

This of course was fully inspired by my previous post (if you haven`t already gone here, Guess) its about using a hand foam dispenser to wash your car. It`s the method I use now, because I only have to use a teaspoon or two for the whole car (saving me money on $17 pinnacle bodywork shampoo).

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=2486 (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=2486`)

here`s another one for back in the day (Guess) for you to read.
http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1088 (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1088`)

Hope you like this,
Steve

BTW, it`s about $50 click on the link in the original post of this thread.

Lemonxxs
09-29-2001, 01:09 AM
Very informative.

Keep up your creative thinking.

Who won the micro towel wars?

svanderbilt
09-29-2001, 03:04 AM
The "Prep Center" houses a hot water carpet extractor, a wet/dry vacuum, air dryer, 4 cleaning solutions, and a tool box. The extractor has a 3-stage vacuum motor with 140" of water lift, 100 psi, 140º 1000w heater, 8 gallon solution and recovery tanks, and a stainless steel vacuum nozzle. The Prep Center is also mobile. You can move it all around your shop.

An air compressor dispenses favorite chemicals through (4) 25 ft. coiled hoses with chemical resistant nozzles. There is even a grounded outlet for your electric polishers and a 40 psi brass connector for an air gun or air brush.

$2,200.00. This is on my Christmas list. ;-)

http://store5.yimg.com/I/tolae_1646_434245 (`http://store5.yimg.com/I/tolae_1646_434245`)

Tucson buffer
11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
After viewing countless "Show & Shine" details, I`ve read several reference`s too using a "ISP" wipe down after a polishing phase. Is this in reference to a Rubbing Alcohol wipe down? and more importantly, why is this an important step?

xconwrathx
11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I think that ISP refers to Isopropyl Alcohol (so yes, rubbing alcohol. Although proper abbreviation is IPA) and (once again) I think that is ensure removal of any residual polish and oils to leave a good base for wax/sealant application. Am I right with this thinking?