PDA

View Full Version : Whose car gets detailed most frequently?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ihetenyi
08-25-2001, 10:26 AM
Jason was kind enough to send me a generous sample of Vinylex a few weeks ago on the condition that I post my views and results. Here`s my thoughts:

Baseline products - 303 on interior (dash - seats are cloth); Eagle one satin tire shine on tires

1st application to 01 VW Jetta - Tires only

Very hot and humid that day (low 90`s). Product applied by pouring a generous amount onto Eagle one tire swipe and wiping. Vinylex is (I believe) a water based product and is very runny when applying in this unusual manner. Car was rolled forward to cover any untreated spots near the contact patch. Dwell time was about 25 minutes and then I buffed with a nicsand Mf towel. Overall, the look was very good -- just slightly glossier than a matte finish with a clean, crisp appearance against the red paint. Unfortunately a day later I drove through some very heavy rains for about an hour on I71. When I arrived at my destination I couldn`t even tell if my tires had been treated so durability was still a question.

Second application to 01 VW Jetta - Tires only

Much nicer day for detailing (mid 80`s). Product applied in the exact same manner and allowed to dwell for 25 minutes. Same results but I didn`t encounter any rain storms. Durability was very acceptable at about 8-9 rain free days before the look substantially deteriorated from the original clean/matte appearance. That was also as long as I was willing to wait prior to washing the car.

Third application to 00 VW Beetle - Tires and seats

Another nice day. Product was applied this time using a spray bottle. I misted the tires and then wiped with an eagle one wipe. Dwell time before buffing was extended to an hour. The tires came out very clean with the same slightly glossy shine as before. 7 days of rain free weather later and only the drive wheels were starting to look untreated. The rear wheels still looked very clean and matte. On the interior, the Bug has Black leatherette. After cleaning the seats with car wash (suds only) and drying with MT, I lightly misted the seats and rubbed with another MT. I allowed the product to dwell for another hour and then I bufffed again with an MT. The result was very glossy on the cheap leatherette and not easy on the eyes. Personally, I didn`t like the look compared to 303 but that may be more a function of the seating surface. The surface was not slippery as with a cheap armor all treatment.

Thats all I`ve done so far with it. I have not done a dash treatment yet but I will on the Jetta (I already know I would hate the glossy look on the bugs dash).

I would rate the product as a very good all-around treatment for tires, trim and interior. It will not replace the more specialized products I use for each application, but is definitely worth considering at about $22 for 3liters.

Steve

JasonC8301
08-25-2001, 06:39 PM
Great review Steve!

Now I gotta write up the Paste Glaz report.

Jasom

Don2000g
08-26-2001, 01:36 PM
Very thorough review. Great job. I like the fact that you mentioned your baseline products. It`s kind of hard not to like the 3 products you mentioned. Laters.

boywonder
09-06-2001, 11:19 AM
Steve,

I ran into the same issue with Vinylex. I did my Maxima and a friend`s Tracker. The tires had a gloss on the initial application but on the next day, the tires dulled a bit.

However, I did the dash with Vinylex and, in comparison to the #40 I previously used, they have the same level of shine but the vinylex does not draw as much dust.

ihetenyi
09-06-2001, 11:36 AM
I actually got around to doing a dash application on my Jetta and I really like the results. Very comparable to my 303 just with a touch more shine. I actually like the look on the Jetta as the dash is kind of a dull soft touch black material. Its holding up nicely and I haven`t noticed any dust either...

happy detailing

Steve

boywonder
09-11-2001, 01:37 PM
One thing I have noticed with the Vinylex is that it lasts a lot longer than the #40 when used on tires. I am sticking with that for when I just want a slightly glossy finish. The #40 is pretty good for that "ghetto shine."

boywonder
10-01-2001, 11:18 AM
Dashboard with Vinylex

imported_Luster
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
For the married guys/gals, whose car gets better detailing care? Yours or hers? Or equal treatment?

I treat both daily drivers pretty equally. The reason is that sometimes we take her car and I want it as clean as mine!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

imported_glfahlc
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
i keep em all pretty clean, the only diff being i do her bimmer with blackfire whereas i do my truck witk fmj...

imported_Flash Gordon
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh, this ones easy. No real need to spend alot of time on my car, its just gonna get dirty again, right :banghead:

However when I clean my wifes car, we have a policy of payment due when services rendered. And I don`t want money :wink:

imported_Luster
11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Oh, this ones easy. No real need to spend alot of time on my car, its just gonna get dirty again, right :banghead:

However when I clean my wifes car, we have a policy of payment due when services rendered. And I don`t want money :wink:

:thumbup::D

imported_akimel
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
My Luthien receives the favored treatment. I try to keep my wife`s new CR-V looking good, as a matter of obligation; but keeping Luthien looking good is a labor of love.

I guess that means I`m not a good husband ... Oh well ... :o

imported_broker99
11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I would say pretty equal for me here as well. My wifes truck is an 03 with
86K on the clock and everyone was remarks that it looks like new. In a way I take that as a compliment but no one seze that about my car:(

Old Pirate
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
My Mazda does, wife is never around when I have the time to detail her car.

imported_Stokdgs
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I keep my wife`s Bimmer Wagon really clean, but its Titanium Silver, so it goes a long way before it every looks dirty.
I now drive a black `09 Grand Cherokee and just put my personalized plate on it this weekend - "DTAILER", and Im getting a vinyl panel put on the front doors with my website, so I would have to say that this big black dog is going to have to be kept clean so I can advertise my work best.
My 3rd vehicle that the kids drive, I keep clean when I have time, but Im also trying to get my 18 yr old stepson to take some responsibility and at least wash it, but its a long road.. :)

Dan F