PDA

View Full Version : What`s your Technique, Fabric Carriage Top?

imported_nihoole
08-23-2001, 08:49 AM
I was looking at cotton towels,just do not trust MF for some reason .The fieldcrest charisma is 720 loops per square inch and are made of Pima cotton.Does anyone know of a towel that compares to this standard that can be purchased from K-Mart,Wal-Mart or Target?I would like to get some locally to wax this weekend.Thanks for any input !!

adjulian
08-23-2001, 09:22 AM
Todd -

you can Fieldcrest Cannon Charisma`s at a local department store. Just call first to see if they have them.

I found Charisma IRR at Lazarus for dirt cheap. Otherwise, they are regularly 27.99 for a large bath towel. I see them on sale all the time for 19.99 though. Or if you have a Fieldcrest Cannon outlet near you, that is the next best thing.

Fieldcrest Cannon Royal Velvet are also pretty good, which are easily found at Linen`s N Things/Bed Bath N Beyond, etc. and not as expensive as the Charisma`s.

I have both and I swear by the Charisma`s, very plush and very heavy. I ordered 11 of them and the box weighed 30 lbs! The RVs are good but they just aren`t as nice, I use them for the jambs and lower body panels.

Whatever towels you do get be sure you fold the towel so that the decorative border on the towel is not touching your paint and the edges are not touching either, as these tend to have polyester threading and press hard enough and you could scratch the paint. Or if you have access to a serger, cut the towels just the way you want them and serge all of the edges so they don`t fray.

Have fun!!!

Check out the Archives also. Lots of great discussions on Towels.

imported_nihoole
08-23-2001, 01:57 PM
I looked at target today saw some of the RV`s, just did not feel like you are describing the charisma`s.Thanks for the folding tips also!::)

adjulian
08-23-2001, 02:11 PM
Todd -

This is a great forum, lots of knowledge and lots of people who are willing to help out.

Enjoy the journey of detailing, it`s alot of fun along the way.

Allan

Meanguns
11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Just curious what everyone uses. With a diluted APC I don`t seem to get the results, it just doesn`t seem to "look real clean". Not really sure about going with something real strong. Just throwing this out there since I just moved to FL and it seems like every person with a Town Car, Marquis, or whatever, seems to have these roof treatments added on.

TOGWT
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Rode & Schwalenbert Global Minority Business Network (GMBN) Germany the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products:

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. It has the best UV protection of any product on the market, and it repels dirt, grease, and oil. It doesn?t make your vinyl top glossy or greasy-looking. It will have the natural matte sheen of new vinyl.
Alternative product- this is the fabric protector recommended by Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) and the Harrtz Corporation, 303? High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory new levels. It stops leaks, resists soiling and impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun`s harmful UV rays.

Application Methodology

? Masking body- use a 1-mil x 9-foot x 12-foot plastic drop cloth, cut it in two pieces (6 x 9-feet). With the convertible top up in front & back, drape one piece across the back as close to the top hinges as possible. Drape the second piece over the windshield and far enough 6-foot h back to cover the seat back, fold the convertible top down but do not latch. Mask the areas around the fabric top with masking tape (3M? Painters Easy Release Blue Tape)
? Mask the rear window - cover the rear window to avoid over-spray
? Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
? Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
? With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won`t discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
? Apply fabric cleaner (Harrtz RaggTop Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 10 ? 20 minutes dependent upon stain. Gently scrub using a soft brush to get into the texture of the fabric. Work the brush from the middle towards the outside.
? Repeat if necessary; applying two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
? Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
? Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
? Allow the fabric to dry for as long as possible (preferably 24-hours) before using the protectant. An hour or two isn?t long enough, it may feel dry but that?s only the uppermost surface layer (using a protectant on a damp fabric will ?seal in? the moisture and encourage the formation of mildew) ? Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTop Protectant) on the dry fabric, keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movements spray lightly but do not soak (if you use too much product it will turn white, rinse away excess and allow to dry)
? Alternatively use a soft horsehair paintbrush and apply light thin coats, if time permits, two light coats are better than one medium coat, using gentle sweeping motion. Do not saturate. Allow to dry 10-15 minutes between coats, and to dry thoroughly before using or storing.
? Remove all masking tape and any other materials
? Be sure to remove any accidental over-spray from paint or glass surfaces immediately with a damp Microfiber towel or a 1:1 isopropyl alcohol / distilled water solution. On paint work use a pre-wax cleaner if necessary or fine detailing clay.
? After treatment the top will bead water, when the beading diminishes (usually at 6 monthly intervals, dependent upon climate / use) it`s an indication that it`s time for another treatment.

Maintenance- normal cleaning: use a medium pH car wash concentrate and apply UVR protection; periodically (dependant on climatic conditions) apply a UV protection (303? Aerospace Protectant) to fabric by keeping spray about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movement spray lightly but do not soak fabric.

imported_Flash Gordon
11-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Yea, what he said ^ :wink: