PDA

View Full Version : Washing Tires with ONR...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hilorains
08-22-2001, 01:54 PM
After spending (and worse, being stranded) over $2,500 in unscheduled repairs on my 1997 BMW 740iL with 60,000 miles, I am looking at trading it in. I was wondering if you own one of the above automobiles if you could comment on your ownership experience and how reliable it has been.

Dolphin463
08-22-2001, 02:07 PM
As you can see below, I own three BMW`s and I am very partial to the total driving experience I get with them. However, I believe that you have to be somewhat selective as to which BMW you choose. I have been a member of BMWCCA for over 10 years and 750iL`s have been notorious for taking their owners to the poor house in maintenance costs. This is primarily due to their complexity as they have always been on the cutting edge in terms of technology. Not all of this hi-tech equipment has been perfected.

Nevertheless, I have had excellent reliability from my cars as I do nearly all of the maintenance myself. I am just as fanatical about the mechanics of the car as I am about their appearance and consequently, they have served me quite well with very little unscheduled maintenance. I do feel, however, that Lexus is a more reliable vehicle for the average owner.

07Cayman
08-22-2001, 02:13 PM
Chris, I just bought a `95 Infiniti J30t. It runs looks and runs great. My brother had one and had nothing but great things to say about it.
Below is a link to MSN Carpoint. Copy and paste and go to the make and model drop down box. Check out the user reports for the model and year car you are thinking about. These are real people who have experiance with the model and year of car you are thinking about. I spent a good deal of time there researching the cars I was interested in. I can tell you for sure that people that own Lexus and Infiniti`s are extremely satisfied people.
For the record, I had an 5series BMW and my cousin has a 7series. They hold up real well but do have certain problems.
My experiance is that they are definately prone to electrical
problems. Recurring ones.

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/used_research.asp?src=Home&pos=Res2 (`http://carpoint.msn.com/home/used_research.asp?src=Home&pos=Res2`)

andrew43
08-22-2001, 02:46 PM
Lexus ALWAYS wins when it comes to reliability versus pretty much any other car manufacturer. Infiniti`s and Acura`s are very reliable as well. Unfortunately, while the European cars always have great styling and a good "driving experience", they have not been able to match up to the japanese when it comes to reliability. BMW is the most reliable make of the european manufacturers. I believe Audi/VW are among the most unreliable. Does not make them bad cars....just hits you with quick depreciation and requires to watch things more closely. Also, I believe that just about every car is reliable as long as it is maintained properly.

07Cayman
08-22-2001, 06:51 PM
Every car reliable if maintained well?

Obiviously, you never owned a 1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24.

LOL

Count your blessings.

If so you would never make that comment.

Then theres the good ol` Pontiac 6000. My father had one of those lemons. One and half years old and the clear coat pealed right off. And that was the least of the problems.

By the way you know what BMW stands for don`t you.

BRING MY WALLET

Bobby G
08-22-2001, 06:54 PM
You should have included Porsche. They kicked Lexus` butt last year in reliability ratings.

Clean Dean
08-25-2001, 04:20 PM
Even though I am not crazy about my 2000 model. I previously owned a 1995 C280, and have not had one problem with either car. My in-laws have had (2) E-classes 1996 and 1998, and they never had a problem to date either.

I had a 1997 Infiniti I30, and I only experienced very minor sensor type problems.

hook
08-27-2001, 10:14 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DavidB [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>You should have included Porsche. They kicked Lexus` butt last year in reliability ratings. [/b]</blockquote>
hey davidB, can you provide a link or site for more info? I remember a Lexus guy telling me they`d won JD Power`s award every year since they`ve been made. I`d like to know the opposite side of the story....

best regards,
Andy

nerdhunters
09-08-2001, 12:01 PM
I am on my forth BMW and they all have too many problems. My wife wanted a new X5 but reliablity was her number one concern, I took her to Lexus !!!! BMW has a long way to go in terms of having trouble free cars and achieving the level of customer satisfaction that Lexus has, take it from someone who bought a Lexus and BMW at the same time.

Hypersion
09-11-2001, 03:33 AM
http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm (`http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm`)
http://www.jdpower.com/ (`http://www.jdpower.com/`)

It looks like the lexus ls4xx was the best reliable car for 2000 and 2001.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Tools/survey-results-rc-top-bot.pl (`http://cartalk.cars.com/Tools/survey-results-rc-top-bot.pl`)

If price is your main consideration than a toyota Tacoma looks like the cheapest car to maintain

imported_doug
11-27-2001, 08:08 PM
Lexus is the most reliable.

But they`re no fun to drive. even the Sc400 or SC430, which really perform quite well, lack "feel."

In luxury cars, BMW is my choice, hands down - because performance as a "driver`s car" is extremely important to me. BMW`s - particularly the 3 and 5-series, 7 series with sport option and any M models - have the best car-driver communication of anything of these cars, by a wide margin (and I HAVE driven them all. ) Their quality/reliability is good enough for me - so that`s what I choose.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-27-2001, 10:52 PM
that much....always wanted a Bimmer...i dont know if its a muth or what but everybody who hasnt had one says that if you break anything on a Bimmer...and it has to be replaced....your screwed because nothing but another Bimmer part will fit so to speak....thats the urban legend in NY anyway.....im just going by what kind of car....of the ones listed ...do i see the most `old" ones still out on the road and looking farily good....that would be Lexus....i do see old benzes...even the old Diesel ones...but not that many....mostly 95 or newer....same with BMW...mostly new ones...Infiniti....i considered it instaed of my Max....but thought if im going to spend $ near the mid 30k...then id get a BMW.....how come nobody voted for the new 2002 FIAT`s that are coming out....rememeber that car....F.I.A.T.=Fix it Again Tony......;) :p

Lemonxxs
11-28-2001, 09:27 AM
I think it is hard to group all the cars one manufacture makes in this post. Some are better than others.

Reliabilty being defined as "trustworthy or dependable". I have had several cars from different manufaturers and all have been dependable.

Heck which guy was working the night shift making the radio has a lot to do with reliability. For the most part I think cars made after 1995 are more dependable then previous years on a whole. The manufacturers finally realize what buyers want.

Research specific models not makes as to reliability.

I voted MB due to my experiences with them. My father has owned several and kept them for long periods of time and he was never stranded or had problems.

Now a YUGO is not reliable!

bmerjorge21
11-28-2001, 10:18 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I voted MB due to my experiences with them. My father has owned several and kept them for long periods of time and he was never stranded or had problems.
[/b]</blockquote>He probably doesn`t own an M-Class, esp. a `98, or `99. These vehicles are an embarrassment to MB!! :mad: I think in general the Japanese make the most reliable followed by the Euros, then the Americans. To address Floni`s concern, the newer a Bimmer is the harder it is to find non-OEM parts, ex. we can find most non-OEM parts for our `89 3-series, less for the `95, and the `01 probably next to none. I talked to the guys @ Autozone and they said that they carry hardly any Bimmer parts. Japanese cars are the next hardest to find, and American cars... you can get any non-OEM part you want!

Lemonxxs
11-28-2001, 10:54 AM
No his MBs were much older.

Again it is all relative to many variables and chaos.