PDA

View Full Version : Winter`s Coming: How Often Will You Wash Your Daily Driver?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

drmcetta
08-22-2001, 06:20 AM
What product do you guys recommend to clean, reduce swirl, and protect german cars interior trim? would vinyl and leather protectant work on these trims?

KR CoolShine
08-22-2001, 07:19 AM
All wood trim on newish cars today is coated with a urethane top coat. So, it acts just like the clear on your car!

I wax mine with either Souveran or Zymol Detail wax (I have to find a use for this stuff somewhere).

If I had swirls, I would use one of the really mild abrasives very gently by hand -- preferable one without fillers. Perfect It III Finishing Glaze comes to mind.

hook
08-22-2001, 08:32 AM
I`ve worked my way up to Perfect-It II Fine Cut RC on the wood trim inside on the blue car, can`t make a dent in the swirls.

At this point, I`ve given up and just go over it with AIO or SG. At least it`s shiny, and the swirls aren`t visible unless you look exactly the right way at it.

Andy

Don2000g
08-23-2001, 05:19 PM
So how did you all manage to get swirls on your wood trim? Any pics?

TCM
08-23-2001, 05:31 PM
Zymol Detail Wax works well for me also. I have used it on a bunch of different wood trims and all come out beautiful. Works well on chrome door handles also. Good luck.

T.C.

hook
08-23-2001, 09:24 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000g [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>So how did you all manage to get swirls on your wood trim? Any pics? [/b]</blockquote>
No idea, I bought the car pre-owned. My guess is that the trim was just wiped off with a dry towel. But in a way that doesn`t make sense, since I can`t get it out (I`m talking NO difference after 3M PI 2 RC in a controlled area). If the surface is that hard, how`d it get swirls? I should add I`m talking about the area around the gearshift, up to and including the ashtray.

No pics, if I get over to Tim`s maybe we can take a couple with his digital camara. I`m still prehistoric with film & developing and never knowing if the pics are going to turn out.

Anyway, they`re noticible to ppl like us, everyone else says "oh, what pretty wood trim."

any suggestions welcome.

Blue Skies,
Andy

andrew43
08-24-2001, 08:28 AM
My BMW (new) has some light swirls in the console area by the shifter. Don`t know how swirls develop on the wood trim, but I havent seen a car (with coated REAL wood trim) that hasnt had swirls. I will try to take a picture but am not sure if I will be able to get the right angle to show them. These swirls are real light...

adjulian
08-24-2001, 08:39 AM
Yell00ITR-

Don`t know if it`s just the top coat that they put on the wood trim, but I also have the swirls on it. I am going to try z5 this weekend to see what it does to them.

andrew43
08-24-2001, 08:51 AM
Adjulian: We have identical cars...as I have the CD player too. Did you get a post March (or was it May?) build date to get the HK System? I didn`t and was wondering if it was worth upgrading (I think it is $600 or so at my dealer).

Let me know if the Z5 works! I need to detail the BMW interior and may have to add this to the mix!

adjulian
08-24-2001, 09:01 AM
Yell00ITR -

My car was produced on July 13, 2001 so, yes, I do have the HK system.

I am happy with the HK system but don`t know if it`s worth $600 from the `stealer`, you may want to look into some aftermarket speakers. Check out e46fanatics.com and I think you may find some info on some aftermarket audio stuff.

I will let you know how the z5 works out. Already have z2`ed the trim and it`s very smooth and shiny now. Don`t know that I`m ready to use FI2 or PI2 just yet.

DETAILKING
08-24-2001, 10:08 AM
and it seems to help. The trim scratches VERY easily espeically around the shifter. I am pondering replacing my wood with titanium trim, but for now, Z2, Z5 and maintaining with Z6 keeps it looking good.

imported_Luster
11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
During the spring, summer and fall seasons, most of us keep our daily drivers pretty clean!

But here comes winter (Hey Florida guys, I`m not talking to you!!!)

You`ll protect your car the best you can, but how often will you wash your car during the winter months?

imported_Flash Gordon
11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
About the same as usual. Once a month or maybe every 3 weeks, although I have been known to just clean the tires & wheels and let it roll :o

Tuck91
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
About every three weeks, possibly a month, maybe just go the whole winter without washing it at all :clap: :out:

Old Pirate
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Once a week, if I`m not sick.......