PDA

View Full Version : shelf life

boywonder
08-21-2001, 12:59 PM
One of the items I am thinking about getting for next year is a pressure washer. I am wondering who on the board has one and what psi is it.

spartacus_33
08-21-2001, 04:28 PM
I have a Colmen, but I would not use it on my car. It uses a small amount of water with a strong air pump. It is too easy to move the spray head to a dangerous, narrow stream. This is how I removed the paint from the foundation of my house so I could apply UGL Drylok.[great product]

FastHappy
08-21-2001, 04:33 PM
i have a karcher 1200psi electric pressure washer. it has an adjustable nozzle that allows for a low pressure or high pressure stream. i use the high pressure for tires and wheel wells and so forth. it works great but as far as pressure washers goes it is about as low psi as you can get.

Koyaanisqatsi
08-21-2001, 09:39 PM
I have a 1200 psi craftsman. I think most are made by karcher and sold under different names. I use mine to clean my dirt bike after races. It comes in handy when cleaning the trucks undercarriage and engine compartment but may be a little strong for the exterior.

flatstastic
08-21-2001, 10:15 PM
I use a 5.5 hp honda/cat pressure washer to wash/detail cars, it puts out 1500psi Max. You just have to use the right tip on the wand and it is very safe for washing your pride and joy. ( saves a lot of water as well )

You will not do any damage unless you are trying to put the tip 2 inches away from the paint to remove something stuck on. ( never try it unless you dont like your paint )

Footy
08-21-2001, 10:52 PM
I have a 1850psi Karcher that comes with an adustable nozzle, a low pressure detergent nozzle, a rotating jet "dirtblaster" nozzle, and a rotating brush that works well on the paint <strong class=`bbc`><span style=`font-size: 12px;`>(NOT!!) [/b].

Like Tim, I use it mainly on the wheel wells and underbody, and very carefully in the engine compartment (but not on the engine itself)

soonchawal
08-21-2001, 11:54 PM
I have 4:D Of course, I do fleet washing for work.

For home use I would get one of those little $200 jobs at Sams Club, costco or Home depot. Plan on replacing it every couple of years.

Things to look for if you don`t go that route.

1. A Major Pump manufacturer, some names are General, Interpump, Cat, Annovi Reverbi, Comet, These are the most likely suspects.

2. Look for a seperate pressure regulator. On a lot of the current crop of home machines it is included with the hose inlet. That is great, except if it fails you have to figure out how to replumb it.

3. Get a variable pressure wand. That way you can control the pressure that the machine is putting out, and also use it to apply soap.

4. Get a 3/8" hose. with a readily available quick connect. That way you can easily replace it if and when it goes bad.

5. Get a horizontal shaft engine with a triplex pump. They will last longer. If the machine has an engine that looks like it belongs on a lawn mower it is designed to last 100 hours and then be replaced.

6. NEVER, Never, Never let it run for more than a minute (60 seconds) with out letting fresh water through it. This will severely shorten the pump life.

Have fun and decide if you really need one.

boywonder
08-22-2001, 11:19 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scooter [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I have 4:D Of course, I do fleet washing for work.
For home use I would get one of those little $200 jobs at Sams Club, costco or Home depot. Plan on replacing it every couple of years.

Things to look for if you don`t go that route.
1. A Major Pump manufacturer, some names are General, Interpump, Cat, Annovi Reverbi, Comet, These are the most likely suspects.
2. Look for a seperate pressure regulator. On a lot of the current crop of home machines it is included with the hose inlet. That is great, except if it fails you have to figure out how to replumb it.
3. Get a variable pressure wand. That way you can control the pressure that the machine is putting out, and also use it to apply soap.
4. Get a 3/8" hose. with a readily available quick connect. That way you can easily replace it if and when it goes bad.
5. Get a horizontal shaft engine with a triplex pump. They will last longer. If the machine has an engine that looks like it belongs on a lawn mower it is designed to last 100 hours and then be replaced.
6. NEVER, Never, Never let it run for more than a minute (60 seconds) with out letting fresh water through it. This will severely shorten the pump life.

Have fun and decide if you really need one. [/b]</blockquote>
Do some washers have a bent nozzle so that I can clean the underbody of the car?

soonchawal
08-22-2001, 02:55 PM
You can get a wand with about a 45 deg. bend in it to spray undercarriages with. You can also put a 45 deg. pipe fitting on a wand to get teh bend. Another option is a spray flex. It is deigned so that you can bend it at the angle that you want and it will hold shape under pressure. So that you can get the really strange angle in your engine compartment.

Try www.higherpower.com
www.envirospec.com
and www.northern.com ( I think that is the northern hydraulics website.):rolleyes:

Mobilejay
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I was looking through my products and I have WD from 3 years ago. First question is, is it old by now? 2nd question, has the formula been changed at all or is the one now the same as 3 years ago? Thanks.

imported_Flash Gordon
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
As long as the product hasn`t seperated, your good to go. Your #1 enemy is cold weather( 35 degrees and below)

imported_mobenzowner
11-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I was looking through my products and I have WD from 3 years ago. First question is, is it old by now? 2nd question, has the formula been changed at all or is the one now the same as 3 years ago? Thanks.

The formula has changed not too long ago. The new version is 3.0 and has a label on top of the lid that reads 3.0.

Mobilejay
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
cool, thanks guys

Old Pirate
11-17-2009, 07:07 PM
It should be still good to use as long it was kept at idea conditions.

Todd@RUPES
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
The formula has changed not too long ago. The new version is 3.0 and has a label on top of the lid that reads 3.0.

Wet Diamond was re formulated with a slightly improved polymer (and more of them) as well as formulated with a version of polycharger. There is no 3.0 label on it.

I wouldn`t be surprised to see if it still worked (provided it hasn`t separated) well, although the newest version is honestly far better.