PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Nitrogen in their tires?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Kevin Brown
08-20-2001, 01:25 PM
I just bought a new three piece all leather sofa set. Cost me an arm and leg. But feels good to the touch. :) So does Connolly Hide Food work on home leather sofas? Will it give the protection and the necessary oils the leather needs in the home leathers? Thanks in advance. :)

Bobby G
08-20-2001, 01:30 PM
Yes,

I have a pair of 1930`s deco club chairs that get the Hyde Food treatment. It works great... just don`t plan on sitting down for a few hours.

db

KR CoolShine
08-20-2001, 01:34 PM
What David said. We use it at home on the leather chairs.

I want to try Leatherique when cleaning time comes this winter.

boywonder
08-20-2001, 01:35 PM
Is hide food very oily?

imported_Kevin Brown
08-20-2001, 02:05 PM
What does one use to apply the Food with? How long do we have to leave it on before buffering off? What PrinzII said, is it oily?

imported_Luster
11-15-2009, 08:31 AM
If you see valve stem caps that are green, the tires are Nitrogen filled.

I`m not sure I understand the advantages.

When a tire is low, where do you get nitrogen to re-fill the tire?

What are your thoughts on Nitrogen fill?

imported_akimel
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
The advantage of the nitrogen, so I was told, is that the nitrogen molecule is larger than the oxygen molecule. It does not therefore leak through and out of the tire as easily.

We get our tires filled with nitrogen at the car dealer where we purchased the CR-V. In a pinch, though, you can just fill the tires with good ole air.

imported_mobenzowner
11-15-2009, 09:05 AM
When I got my Highlander new the dealership had put nitrogen in the tires. It`s only got 5k on the clock so I havent dealt with any issues yet. As far as advantages they say it is better for the tires as far as cracking & aging(something to do with size of molecules or something). The air pressure is supposed to stay more consistent which in theory leads to better fuel economy. Again nitrogen molecules dont expand/comtract as much as regular air in tires. I`m not sure I am sold on the idea.
the place where the nitrogen was put in the tires usually gives you free nitrogen if you have a leak.

Jack Kruer
11-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Bill, the advantages to Nitrogen are many with primary being that the molecules are larger and loss through the tires rubber is much slower. Nitrogen also is less sensitve temperature changes. This is why race cars use it as their suspention systems are so sensetive. My new car came with nitrogen and I was excited right up to the point where I started looking for a place to top my tires off and keep them up to pressure. I have always been vigilant on this. Nitorgen seems to be a "profit" center for shops. When I called one and asked how much to top off my tires on occasion, I was told $29.95. Wow! When I asked how much to have my wife`s car`s tires filled with nitrogen, I was told $29.95! I top them off with a hand pump. I have no problem paying for the topping off, but I found this a bit much. I did not find many places to "re-fill" here in the Tampa area. Great idea, but you need to check out the pricing first.

jk

imported_akimel
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Nitorgen seems to be a "profit" center for shops. When I called one and asked how much to top off my tires on occasion, I was told $29.95. Wow! When I asked how much to have my wife`s car`s tires filled with nitrogen, I was told $29.95! I top them off with a hand pump. I have no problem paying for the topping off, but I found this a bit much. I did not find many places to "re-fill" here in the Tampa area. Great idea, but you need to check out the pricing first.

At those kinds of prices, nitrogen probably doesn`t make much sense. We get free nitrogen refills from the dealer where we bought our CR-V.

Old Pirate
11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder if I included filling off ones tires with Nitrogen when I`m detailing their vehicle........Not a bad idea to add to my detailing services......:thumbup:

imported_akimel
11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I wonder if I included filling off ones tires with Nitrogen when I`m detailing their vehicle........Not a bad idea to add to my detailing services......:thumbup:

I think that would only make sense if the tires are already filled with nitrogen. There`s little benefit if the tires are filled with oxygen.

switerajaya
01-18-2011, 11:57 PM
I see little to no benefit and it`s hard to find a place to top off a nitrogen filled tyres in my area. Perhaps anybody with more scientific knowledge could explain it further?

I was excited to have my tires nitrogen filled back then but didn`t see any significant differences between them. Plus it`s hard to find a place to top up my nitrogen filled tires and it`s pricey.

imported_Stokdgs
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
I dont have any Nitrogen in any of the 12 tires that we have, but I heard that Costco uses Nitrogen and if you buy tires from them, they refill forever or something...

I am getting new tires on the kid`s car tomorrow at Discount Tire, which is also a chain, and will ask them if they use the gas or not..
Dan F

shizam1
01-19-2011, 07:06 AM
According to Wikipedia, Nitrogen is already 78% of the atmosphere. So a regular fill of air into your tires is already 78% Nitrogen.

My tires started with Nitrogen, but when they got low as the temperature dropped ( yes, even with Nitrogen ), I took it to my tire place, and they just topped it off with air.

I think the main benefits apply to truckers and people who put a LOT of miles on their tires.