PDA

View Full Version : A visit from an old friend

Pages : [1] 2

z4zen
08-17-2001, 04:39 PM
I got my car back from a shop a few days ago and noticed this small 1/4" x 1/8" "lump" sitting on the front edge of my hood.

I went back to the shop claiming oversprayed paint, but their position is that it is sap! I do park under trees from time to time but not under any sap producing trees to the best of my knowledge.

I tried some FI2 Rubbing compound to no avail, and the local PepBoys does not carry the Mothers clay, or any clay for that matter.

Suggestions? According to the articles I`ve read on here and old posts, claying should help, but this stuff is seriously bonded.

Grrrr....

jkochis
08-17-2001, 07:16 PM
Try some rubbing alchohol. Let it dwell and keep it damp for a few minutes before trying to rub off.

imported_TSC17
08-17-2001, 07:35 PM
I am not sure but, won`t WD-40 work?

I heard it was good to remove contaminents on the paint.

but check to be sure.

just an option

z4zen
08-17-2001, 07:39 PM
thanks... I`ll give both a try over the weekend and report on the results.

I hope one of the suggestions works!

-James

ISLANDSBEST
08-17-2001, 07:57 PM
Get it off now! Leaving any unkwown substance on the paint for any lenght of time is risky.

Don2000g
08-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Darbh is right on. Get it off now!

z4zen
08-18-2001, 01:51 PM
looks like the rubbing alcohol did the trick... was getting kinda worried there... whew.

Of course, as everyone knows, when you fix one thing, you immediately find something else that is wrong!

Dealership was kind enough to put some hairline scratches on one of my chrome rims when doing a balance and rotation. I do not want them to attempt to "fix" it... do you think putting some chrome polish on a PC and apply to the rim will help remove them????

I`ll have to also look in the archives to see if I can dig something up... thanks for everyone`s input! :)

ISLANDSBEST
08-18-2001, 02:23 PM
Glad to hear it came out OK. I am happy for your relief.

You used alcohol. This removed any protection on that section of the paint, so you will need to reapply whatever you had on the car (wax, Zaino, Klasse). If you had nothing, your GS is new and its a very nice car, so get some Zaino or Klasse on it now, while the paint is still in good shape. The procedures are throughly discussed on this site in the archives, and there is an active thread, New Car Detailing Advice, going on, that has relevant info.

Don2000g
08-18-2001, 02:25 PM
No problem. Now welcome to the "wonderful" world of anal detailing. Laters.

Dr Ken
08-19-2001, 01:05 AM
I`ve had good success with very hot water, poured directly on the sapped surface, small areas at a time, with a little soft to & fro wiping. I figure H2O makes an ideal solvent for sap, which is basically dehydrated sugar, the heat seems to aid this solution.

No noticible delterious effect on painted surface (metalic black and silver). I`d be worried if painted surface is over a patched area or an area too thickly sprayed, as this may potentiate cracking (differing coefficients of thermal expansion), so it`s done with some care not to over heat things.

In terms of prevention, clayed and waxed surface prevents sap from getting a foothold.

- Ken

Clean Dean
08-19-2001, 12:18 PM
I`ve been using Stoner`s Tarminex for a couple of months now, and found that it has safely removed (w/soft terry towel) just about every trace of tar, grime and sap I`ve found on exterior paint. I love using it in door jambs were shoe scuffs and greases tend to collect. I really am a big fan of Stoner products because they save me sooooo much time! I was in a buying frenzy yesterday at a local flea market/auction when I purchased about $150 dollars worth of Stoner products for $15. (Another story)

YoSteve
08-19-2001, 12:38 PM
Yuck Don, we don`t practice "anal detailing" here :D

Q: Is rubbing alcohol good for sapped windows as well?

ISLANDSBEST
08-20-2001, 03:24 AM
ROFLMAO

Oh, cancel that! Considering the subject of YoSteve`s humor, that should simply be "LOL."

rockymountaindetail
11-11-2009, 07:28 PM
You know how sometimes you get caught up with new friends and kinda start losing touch with your old ones? Well lately I`ve been spending a lot of time with my new friends: BFWD, 105 and 205. They are new and exciting. I usually call them first ..... but he last 2 details I had they only wanted a 1 step, so I had to call an old friend...KAIO. He showed up and really delivered!

KAIO .....I`ve been using for a while and still sees occasional use for painted wheels etc. But I have not done a full polish with any in a while and I`m so glad I did. I almost forgot how much I love this stuff. Easy on, easy off, great results! I just wanted to say thanks to my old friend for really impressing the owners and myself. It really is a great product. Maybe not as "exciting" as new friends, but always there when you call. (no I`m not hugging the bottle right now!)

bmw5541
11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Sometimes your old forgotten friends really come through when you need them most.