PDA

View Full Version : props to the pros

Pages : [1] 2

lpandroc
08-16-2001, 10:01 AM
Hi all...ok ...after using 3M hand glaze...I still feel little bumps or specs on my paint...I can scratch them off with my fingernail...but there are so many of them...some I can see...some I cant....I used 3M hand glaze first...then put a coat of Blitz....I dont want to go crazy with all kind of products...but dont know why I cant get these little bumps off.....dont want to try clay...the situation is not that bad.....Im applying the 3m with pressure....so it should take this stuff off...any suggestions...Thanks, lance

Lance

2000 Volvo S70

sport package

silver/graphite leather

No Mods...I like em` stock baby!!!

DETAILKING
08-16-2001, 10:13 AM
I would go over the car with clay, or if you don`t want to do that, some cleansing lotion or equal. The quickest thing you can do is try KLASSE AIO to get the bumps off. Is your current recipe offering the duribilty you need?

Bobby G
08-16-2001, 10:14 AM
You can use a detailing clay to quickly remove the surface contamination before you glaze, or you can use a paint prep/cleaning polish like P21S or Pinnacle Paintwork.

db

135ibmw
08-17-2001, 11:16 AM
<strong class=`bbc`>lpandroc[/b] --

I used the exact same combo, and got the exact same thing ... lot`s of little bump. Although, I also had some hazing. I think it was a result of the humidity in Virginia Beach, VA when I did the work (85-90% humidity).

When I posted a similar question, the majority of responses I got were to clay the affected region, and then try a product like Klasse that was not as susceptible to humidty effects as the 3M IHG/Blitz combo.

When it came time to redo my car, I washed twice, and then applied one coat of the Klasse AIO. After I removed it, no bumps. And this after going out and buying the Pinnacle PolyClay kit (oh, well ... I can use it later on down the road). I went ahead and continued with the full Klasse regimen, and the car looks great, and the paint feels like melted butter.

Perhaps if you try the Klasse treatment, you will experience similar results.

HTH

-- keagan

lpandroc
08-17-2001, 02:11 PM
thanks...but after klasse AIO...do I blitz?

hook
08-17-2001, 02:34 PM
You can blitz after klasse AIO/Sg if you wish, but you can`t then add more layers of Klasse.

Also, you might want to try the Mother`s clay instead of the Meguiar`s. I`ve only used the Mother`s, but I`ve heard the Meguiar`s may be streaky.

blue skies,

Andy

Don2000g
08-17-2001, 10:13 PM
Most people who use All in One follow up with some Sealant Glaze. Consider doing so as you won`t be disappointed. Laters.

Ron Ketcham
08-17-2001, 10:25 PM
Today`s clearcoat polyurethane clears are porus, they are like a sponge, just look at the "highly magnified modern clearcoat system" photo on http://www.autoint.com. (`http://www.autoint.com.`)

This is not a "manufacturered" photo, it is the same used by the vehicle manufacturers to train their employees who deal with paint concerns.

Not "knocking" clay here, it has it`s place in vehicle care.

If you ever had a basic chemisty course,then you understand how acids work. The "bumps" are usually due to the acids that have penatrated into the "sponge" of the paint that you will see. When water is introduced (rain, washing, dew,etch) activates the acids, they start eating at the resin system of the paint system and the "bumps" start.

No clay can get those acids out, may make the paint feel "smoother", you feel better, but just like getting battery acid on your Levis, it will eat the jeans up , it will eat your paint up, just a matter of time.

Clay away, the bumps will come back. The "swelling" will return, just a matter of time.

Have a session this week with a car dealer, going there at PPG request, the dealer is having a serious issue with his new car inventory, seems the "kids" have been "claying" the vehicles which exhibit "bumps" that they new car buyers have been complaining about, but they keep coming back after a short time period.

The dealer has been repainting almost 25% of sold vehicles, and that is the issue I will be addressing.

Really quite simple once one accepts basic chemisty.

Stop treating the symthoms, treat the cause!

imported_glfahlc
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
i have to give you guys the:clap: cuz i compounded and polished my f-150 yesterday and its hard on this old man`s back. takes me two days to do all the steps you folks do. but i did get it smooth and shiney and totally mar free. i`ll take pics the next sunny day.. i see why you guys get good money to do this...

QUIK4DR
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
:hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup: :hurray: :thumbup:

Old Pirate
11-10-2009, 02:56 PM
It is hard work but the best part me is when the customer very happy with the results. They just won`t stop smiling...:thumbup:

bmw5541
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
It is hard work but the best part me is when the customer very happy with the results. They just won`t stop smiling...:thumbup:

Until it rains:(

Old Pirate
11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
At least they had a happy moment.........:biggrin:

bmw5541
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Very true!!!

imported_glfahlc
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
i smile to myself er time i look at it... anyone that mentions how nice it looks my first reply is` feel how smooth it is"