PDA

View Full Version : How did you get here ? ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_barry
08-13-2001, 07:34 PM
I have some Ultra polished aluminum wheels that have been on my truck for about a year and I really haven`t done a lot to them yet other than washing them, and they seem to be a little dull and have water spots....just asking for some advice on how to clean and maintaing them from here on out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Andre'
08-13-2001, 08:24 PM
If they are not clear coated use a good netal polish like Wenol , this should bring back the shine. After your done polishing , it`s time to protect them. I use a polymer sealant maned Klasse , Klasse is a paint protectant that can be used on all any hard surface and it can last 6 to 9 mounths . If the wheels are clear coated use a paint polish like 3M`s Finesse IT2. Than protect them usung the same protectant you use on your paint like Klasse.

janderson
08-13-2001, 08:42 PM
What would I do to bring back the shine to really neglected wheels? Two of the aluminum rims on my car are clean, but they have lost their clear coat. Can I replace the clear coat, and make the wheels look like new, or should I just put out the $$$ for two new rims?

Andre'
08-13-2001, 08:51 PM
How do you know the clear is gone? Did you try polishing them? Yes they can be reclear coated to look like new.

tonysandiego
08-13-2001, 10:39 PM
put a little aluminum polish like Wenol or Semichrome on a old t-shirt. Rub a small area and see if the rag turns black. If it does your clear coat is indead gone. If not, it`s still there and you can use FI2 or another polish to bring back the shine.

janderson
08-14-2001, 11:02 AM
Indeed the polish and shine is gone. I have used the Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Polish and it turns a shade of black every time that I use it. Should I try this Wenol product, or do I need to do something more dramatic?

scottybob1
08-14-2001, 12:13 PM
I`ve use a aluminum buffing kit by Caswell http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html (`http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html`) with great success. The kit is only $25. In that kit you get a drill arbor, 3 buffing wheels (course thru light) and two bars of compound.

http://www.caswellplating.com/images/alpolkit.jpg

janderson
08-14-2001, 03:59 PM
That seems a little dramatic. Are there any kinds of polishes or slight abrasives that could help? I just don`t want to do more damage, and end up just getting new rims. Thanks for the reply.

tonysandiego
08-14-2001, 08:59 PM
I would try first using a product called <strong class=`bbc`>Never Dull[/b]. It`s made by Eagle 1 I think and available just about anywhere. I`ve used it with good results on my Fikse wheel lips and its pretty easy to use. Can`t really screw anything up. If this does not give you results that you`re looking for, there are a number of good places to send your wheels to and have them striped and refinished with new clear coat. I`ve heard that this costs about $125 a wheel, so it`s way cheaper than replacing them.

imported_barry
08-15-2001, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the advice....I`ll do a little investigating on the clearcoat situation and go from there to see if I can`t get them back to looking as good as new......SteveL you referred to Fl2 in your reply and I was just wondering exactly what this is. Thanks Steve and Andre` for the help is sure is appreciated.

tonysandiego
08-15-2001, 10:52 AM
IS 3M Finesse-It II polishing compound.

imported_barry
08-15-2001, 09:45 PM
ok i guess i was wrong....i thought my wheels were polished aluminum.........WRONG......according to their web page they are just chrome, so does the process of cleaning up and maintaining the wheel stay the same or is it totally different? sorry for the mix up just call me STUPID but thanks for any additional help.....

Paul Sparks
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
As the title says , how did you find the " Truth In Detailing " forum ?
Doing a little research and wondered did you use an internet search , word of mouth , personal recommendation , mentioned on other detailing forum ?
In my case I was on MOL and Mike Phillips mention this new site was here and to give it a try. How about yourself ? You might see me ask this question on other forums for my project.

.................................................. ..................................... P Sparks

imported_BretFraz
11-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Todd told Bryan and Bryan told me.

imported_Flash Gordon
11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Director Angelo sent for me Da Rules!