PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the Gilmour Foam Gun

midnightdriver2
08-13-2001, 07:34 PM
I read through a numbers of threads related, but have some specific questions.

I recently purchase new black 2001 Acura CL-S and per many recommendation from this forum purchased/applied Klasse AIO and High Gloss Sealant.

AOL was applied and removed without an issue. Applied first coat of sealant without issue, utilizing a minimal amount of product. Went on easy as expected. I had two issues with removal. One it did not haze like most waxes/polishes. In fact in many places it was hardly noticable except a certain angles of light and this was done outside on a clowdy day. Two it was very difficult to remove the product with the microfiber towels. So I applied a second coat the following day thinking it would remove easier, experimenting this the amount I put on. It still was difficult to remove and I had visibility issues.

Any suggestions on application and removal that may assist. Thanks

Andre'
08-13-2001, 07:59 PM
When the SG is applied correctly it should be hardly noticable , it`s not the same as organic wax , rember the thiner the better. Klasse SG is very easy to remove if you use a MF towel and spray it with a QD spray , the QD helps aid in removal of KSG a bunch , it much easer this way.

BradE
08-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Andre` gave you some good advise. Make sure to get a QD that does not have any Carnuba in it. Meguiars Final Inspection is a good choice.

jkochis
08-13-2001, 08:52 PM
I have found that good quality cotton towels work well, though I do occasionally have to resort to using Final Inspection. Usually it was in places that I put too much SG on.

rmccall6
08-13-2001, 09:04 PM
Before you just spray your cloth with QD and keep using the same amount of SG, i would strongly recomend trying to apply it MUCH thinner. I apply a few tiny drops acros the aplicator and rub it into the panel. At first, it seems it disapears into the paint, then like ten minutes later you can see a faint haze. Thats how thin it should be. Now, yes microfiber helps alot, and use a non-wax, non-silicon QD if you need to. Good luck!

imported_RootsRadical
11-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I received my Foamaster last week and figure I have a few days left this year to actually make use of it. Today is gonna be 62 and perfect but I can`t figure out how to get the thing assembled! I followed the instructions but they mention nothing about the 2 pieces remaining: the "deflector" and the "foam wand".

I`m looking at the parts diagram on the instruction sheet and it seems as if the foam wand would attach to stem on the mixing head but it doesn`t fit. The deflector, on the other hand, will fit the mixing head but it`s obvious that it doesn`t go there.

So what gives? I`m almost wondering if the mixing head that I received is the wrong one and I have no clue as to what purpose the deflector serves! I`m hoping that someone can help me out so I can make use of the thing today.

Thanks in advance,

-J

imported_RootsRadical
11-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Update: Of course, about a minute after I posted, I figured out that the Foam Wand did plug into the stem of the mixing head - I just wasn`t pressing hard enough for it to snap in. So now I`m just wondernig what`s up with the "deflector" part.

imported_Luster
11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I`ve used mine a dozen times and the deflector is still in the box.:confused::rofl:

imported_broker99
11-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I have never used the deflector myself

imported_RootsRadical
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Okay...thanks guys. Good to know that it`s not just me. The only possible place I`ve found for it is connected to where the Siphon Tube meets the underside of the mixing head. It fits and the tube fits right into it. Still, I have no clue if it would actually serve a purpose there or anywhere!

I`m off to do my pre-winter cleaning of the garage and then I`ll use it for the first time to wash the car. Thanks again!

-J

MB Fan
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I have used my new Gilmour just twice. I found the soap you use will make a huge difference in the foam as will the setting you use on the gun. Once you have experimented a couple of times you should find the combination that suites you! Have fun!!!

imported_TLMitchell
11-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I`ve used mine a dozen times and the deflector is still in the box.:confused::rofl:

Likewise. I only use the foamer when the cars are caked with an inch of winter crud.

The "snow foamers" have me scratching my head. A lot of guys on some Brit Forums have pics of a not-very dirty car then covered with 6 inches of foam. Guess they don`t want to impart any swirls on a car they`re about to correct. :::shrug:::

TL

imported_glfahlc
11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Likewise. I only use the foamer when the cars are caked with an inch of winter crud.

The "snow foamers" have me scratching my head. A lot of guys on some Brit Forums have pics of a not-very dirty car then covered with 6 inches of foam. Guess they don`t want to impart any swirls on a car they`re about to correct. :::shrug:::

TL

i have a snow foamer that i`ve used once and i love it. dont know if it really makes a diff but i love all that foam. i use the gilmore on sundays as i dont like to make a lotta noise in the hood on a day of rest...

BigAl3
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
no need for the deflector, just leave it be. to make things easier, i mixed two empty gallon jugs with the soap (about 4-5 ounces) and fill up my foam gun from that. it`s much easier than having to make a new batch every time and you can just pour some more in when needed...