PDA

View Full Version : Just joined today - have a question

Pages : [1] 2

Paul Harvey
08-10-2001, 02:59 PM
I used a foam pad last week and I am not to sure on how you clean them of the wax, due to the fact the pad is a velco backed pad water would weaken the adhesive, is there a specific method I should follow??

Brad B
08-10-2001, 03:58 PM
I doubt that water will weaken the adhesive.(?) I simply put mine it the washing machine. I get 8-10 months out of any given pad.

Paul Harvey
08-10-2001, 04:27 PM
I was reading that I should run the machine and press a screw driver on the pad and that should clean it, by the way it is the Meguiars soft buff pad

Brad B
08-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Yes, I have used those in the machine. I use Milwaukee pads mostly.

Just squeezing the pad is usually not enough to clean the pad thoroughly. I am always fearful of the hard spots left over causing scratches.

You can also hand wash in the sink. Takes a while but works. Use a liquid dishwashing detergent.

Paul Harvey
08-10-2001, 04:47 PM
thanks for your help most appreciated, I am new to the foam pads and definately new to the professional lines of products 3m/meguiars. I was using the consumer products with a wool pad and getting moderate results, I also have another post in regards to a friends very swirled and oxidized 96 accord would you have any suggestions for it,as I will be starting on it tommorow tempreture pending it has been 44 degrees in toronto and my garage is clasified a large bread maker right now it is too hot.

tonysandiego
08-10-2001, 07:41 PM
You actualt toss them in the washing machine?? Does Julie know that? Debbie would have my hide if she knew I was doing that. I`ve always washed in the sink with Dawn, and yes it does take a while. Now that I think about it, maybe it`s worth getting caught!:D

imported_Brad
08-10-2001, 11:05 PM
When her brother moved to a different house he gave us his washing machine. I have my <strong class=`bbc`>VERY OWN[/b] automotive washing machine. However she won`t let me paint it red.

MikePlatt
11-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I have a 1 week old new E550 Mercedes Sport Sedan - white, no visible swirl marks from dealer. I would like advise about what to do to the exterior to protect for upcoming winter months. I don`t think I need to clay or polish the paint -soooo new. But I was thinking at least use S100 Paint prep. and S100 Paste wax. Is the paint too new to wax? Should I consider anything else at this time. By the way I traded a 7 year old CLK500 and it looked showroom.

Old Pirate
11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a 1 week old new E550 Mercedes Sport Sedan - white, no visible swirl marks from dealer. I would like advise about what to do to the exterior to protect for upcoming winter months. I don`t think I need to clay or polish the paint -soooo new. But I was thinking at least use S100 Paint prep. and S100 Paste wax. Is the paint too new to wax? Should I consider anything else at this time. By the way I traded a 7 year old CLK500 and it looked showroom.

Welcome aboard MikePlatt, Congratulations on the new E550! First thing first. I would give a good wash top to bottom, then clay bar the finish. It doesn`t matter if it`s a new ride from a dealer, it will benefit from it and you can use BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish to clean up the finish and get it ready for Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant ( 2 to 3 coat`s ) for the protection you need for your new ride and it will glow and be super slick for the protection you need for the winter. The products you mention can be use but they won`t last in the harsh winter conditions in your area.

imported_Flash Gordon
11-07-2009, 05:57 PM

No its not to soon. Your car has been transported across salt water, stored at a dock in florida(more salt water) and then probally sat on the lot for a couple of months

The products you mention I have no experience with but you should be fine

I would most certainaly use a mild clay during the washing process

I would reccommend topping it off with BFWD

Edit: ZoomZoom stole my thunder :redface:
ZoomZoom(Angelo) can get you started with what you will need to keep that fine ride pristine

Welcome to Truth In Detailing, hope to see you around :w00t:

Edit #2 Sorry thoo1 just trying to move product for PAC. Next time I`ll reccomend what I really use :o

bmw5541
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I agree with the wash and clay process. However, S100 Concours is a beauty wax. It will not give you much protection. Go with the Blackfire Wet Diamond (multiple coats), and not only will your new car look dripping wet, but will give you good protection.

Good luck with the new ride, and welcome to TID.

Todd@RUPES
11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
No its not to soon. Your car has been transported across salt water, stored at a dock in florida(more salt water) and then probally sat on the lot for a couple of months

The products you mention I have no experience with but you should be fine

I would most certainaly use a mild clay during the washing process

I would reccommend topping it off with Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant :rockon:

Edit: ZoomZoom stole my thunder :redface:
ZoomZoom(Angelo) can get you started with what you will need to keep that fine ride pristine

Welcome to Truth In Detailing, hope to see you around :w00t:

Metal Sealant?!?! To be honest you could use the Blackfire Metal Sealant on paint (it will work fine) but you will not get the durability on metal surfaces as you would with the paint protection. The products are similar (same type of polymer) but the carriers and solvents as well as the amount of polymers are completely different.

If you are happy with the condition of the paint then S100 cleaner and S100 wax will work perfectly. S100 as well as its close cousin PS21 Concours do not have a reputation for having the best durability or life cycle, but the protection and look provided are really top notch.

Black Fire Wet Diamond All Paint Protection will give a slightly different look but will last much longer.

If you want to use S100, you might consider using the Klasse Twins (Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant/Glaze in place of the S100 lotion. The AIO will clean the paint similar to S100 lotion, and the Sealant/Glaze will add a long lasting resin/acrylic sealant that will last a very long time. Best of all it will accept the S100 wax very nicely and keep protecting long after the wax has worn away. My two cents, worth 1.2 cents in the current economy.

imported_TLMitchell
11-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Congrats on the new MB! As others have mentioned, clay is your friend. You`ll be surprised at how much crud is actually on your finish even though it`s a new car. You`ll love the smoothness clay leaves, perfect prep for a paint cleanser and LSP. Both Mother`s and Meguiar`s clay kits are available over the counter at Wal Mart or auto parts stores. The clay is generally very mild and easy to use. The Quick Detailer sprays in those kits are just so-so, fine for use with clay though.

Not many of us seem to be well versed with S100 products unless they hang around H-D dealers. Pretty good line of products, most are P21S deriviatives or equivelants but at a much more pleasing price point. I find the S100 Paintwork Cleansing Lotion to be just as effective as the P21S version at half the price, I can`t tell `em apart. Good stuff!

I gave the S100 carnauba a look-see and was less than impressed. It was just OK, IMO. I swapped it to someone for something else I wanted to try. If that`s what you already have it`ll probably be fine for your uses. No need to run out and buy a bunch of new stuff if you`ve got something that`ll do on hand. Hang around here a while and you`ll be buying tons of stuff before you know it anyway :biggrin:

As has been mentioned, Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant is the cat`s ass! Unbelieveable shine and slickness on white or any other color. I`m told the longevity is good as well. I`ve been using Collinite 845 Insulator Wax on white for years and love it`s ease of use, deep shine and especially it`s unbelieveable staying power. An especially stout protectant for those of us that have to put up with winter.

Better get busy, winter`s a comin`.

TL

imported_Stokdgs
11-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats on a beautiful Mercedes Benz !
Last I heard, the painted panels are baked at the factory, so there is no reason to worry about hurting new paint.
Then as has already been said, the vehicle has sat awhile drying further, and by the time it gets to you, if anything, it NEEDS something on the paint to protect it and keep it nice.

Another vote for the Claybar, if you need it - have you washed it, dried it, and run a clean dry hand lightly over the finish? If it feels rough or has spots that are rough, then this is what the claybar will remove, along with most any other product that has been applied to the top of the paint.
You would want to do this to insure a good adherence of the product you choose to use.

Good luck, send us pics when you can !

Dan F

imported_Slik560
11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Willkommen!! Congrats on the E550 - a great model. :thumbup: I`ve had great success with Meguiar`s NXT 2.0 tech wax (sealant) followed up with their #26 carnauba wax. Just a personal preference. Easy application, easy removal, great shine and protection.