PDA

View Full Version : EAS: Bentley Correction

Pages : [1] 2

YoSteve
08-09-2001, 10:15 PM
Okay, many of you know that I like this stuff. Sure it`s a "designers imposter" but I like it.

Black Magic semi-gloss dashboard protectant
and again it`s not the greasy oily, all in one shine, or their waterless formula armor all looking crap. It is so totally different. It has that other kind of PSDM or something in it like 303 and others.

I was chatting with DK about 303 (M,W 10:30pm EST :) )
and he said it can be streaky.

What? streaky? I was thinking that this stuff at least applies as well as my stuff. Here`s what I do. I take one of those laquer applicators with the tipped sponge end and the wooden handle and put it against the open bottle of the lemon juice consitancy stuff and appply it as much as possible without dripping. I goes on like water, so smooth, so good smelling. Then it dries leaving a completely healthy shine without streaks.

So trust me, if you like 303 and want a cheaper alternative try $2.99 Black Magic semi-gloss dashboard protectant (make sure you get it by that exact name)

So here`s the pics, there are newer pics of my car (check out my clear corners at the site or at this link) (`http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/shine.html`) The pics are from my digital video camera still image feature (not the greatest) notice the sun is way out too.

http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/files/int2.jpg
http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/files/int3.jpg
http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/files/int1.jpg

JasonC8301
08-09-2001, 10:19 PM
<strong class=`bbc`>wow[/b], nice interior! Do you even drive your car out of the driveway?

I still got 2L of vinylex left out of the 3L jug. i should be safe, but I really prefer a medium gloss over that matte look. Well its just my preference.

Anyway, keep the cheap alternative tips coming,
Jason

jkochis
08-10-2001, 07:53 AM
YoSteve,

I saw a bottle of that stuff at the store last night. Was wondering why one has to shake the bottle before application? I dont recall 303 having that requirement, but someone correct me if I`m wrong.

Also, the Black Magic Semi-Gloss only lists dash boards as the intended use. 303 lists tons of safe uses. Perhaps Black Magic wants everyone to buy 8 bottles of stuff that could be accomplished by one, but I wonder if perhaps there is something that is in that stuff that isnt compatible with say, leather or rubber(tires)??!?

Mindflux
08-10-2001, 09:28 AM
I still like Vinylex.

YoSteve
08-10-2001, 09:29 AM
I guess my car`s a living experiment on this stuff. In a few years when it`s still doing well (if it`s still doing well) it`ll just be a success story (without knowing exactly what went on that worked so well) but then we`ll know it did it`s job.

I think that black magic has so many different products in their line that it would be a bad marketing move to advertise it for tires and leather. This product probably came about for the specific market on non-glossy dashboard looks..

In all my applications I didn`t shake it. Don`t know why that is a problem (there are a lot of things that need to be shaken to keep ````geneous like Klasse). And if shaking was the only thing you found wrong with it, then that`s cool too. But for a product that you have to shake, it applies pretty evenly.

I`m sure you`ll keep on using your stuff and I`ll keep on using mine, but for people looking for an cheaper at lower volume alternative or just beginning to look at stuff to use, it`s worth a shot. Like Jason said. I`m going to keep experimenting.

Thanks for your input, Steve

YoSteve
08-10-2001, 09:32 AM
Ryan, how does vinylex look on your vw dash? I guess it`s hard to rate in words.

Mindflux
08-10-2001, 09:34 AM
It looks a little greasy/shiny. .. more "WET" then anything I guess would be more accurately depicted. It works great for what I need, has UV Protectants and keeps my vinyl dash protected so I cant complain.

YoSteve
08-10-2001, 10:26 AM
only two more posts and you`ll be a junior member :D

Mindflux
08-10-2001, 10:33 AM
*CHEER*

Mindflux
08-10-2001, 10:34 AM
*cheat*

*cheat*

*cheat*

am I a junior yet?

jkochis
08-10-2001, 11:32 AM
I dont have a problem with shaking it, but I do question the contents. Neither Vinylex or 303 require shaking, and I know they both use high quality ingredients.

If you`re not shaking it, I wonder if you`re actually using the "true" formula, or is there a pile of solids sitting at the bottom of your bottle?

DETAILKING
08-10-2001, 11:51 AM
Most likey there is some insolubility with an additive and the carriers themselves. Nothing wrong with shaking....I shake everything I use anyway before I use it. In most products of this type, insolubility is the key to their functionality....the carriers evaporate (solvent based) or get wiped off( water based) and the product gets left behind.

I would like to try this product. I liked 303 on my bimmer interior. I had to use a damp applicator to apply and wipe down with a MF to even out the finish though. If this stuff applies more consistant, I will give it a try. Black interiors are tough. I just wonder how the protection is with this stuff....does it have a UV inhibitor? That is important for fading...........

rstype
08-10-2001, 11:56 AM
I think I will go down to Napa Auto Parts and see if they have the Black Magic Semi-Gloss Dashboard protectant. Not the waterless formula, right? I`ll also try to buy some of DETAILKING`s favorite Turtle Wax Tire Wax. Is it the "Finish 2001" one?

DETAILKING
08-10-2001, 12:02 PM
2001 tire gel. High gloss, no mess, and lasts. I like it a lot. It is not slimy like endurance.

rstype
08-10-2001, 12:07 PM
Thanks... I`ll do a Z-16, 303 Aerospace Protectant, 2001 Tire Gel, and Vinylex comparo and post the results and pictures. (if I can)