PDA

View Full Version : Be Very Careful with TUFF STUFF!

TortoiseAWD
08-08-2001, 01:46 PM
I picked up some 3M products today . . . unfortunately, the paint store only had quart-size bottles, and the part numbers that I`ve seen in so many posts don`t match up. The Finesse-It II was clearly marked and obviously what I was after. The Perfect-It III rubbing compound was not marked "fine cut", but the salesdude indicated that it must be, since the other two on the shelf were billed as "medium" and "heavy". Also, they didn`t have any SMR, but they did have the Perfect-It III Machine glaze (which I seem to recall reading in an old thread as being a good alternative to SMR). The full product names and the part numbers are listed below:

Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound

051131-05933

Perfect-It III Machine Glaze

051131-05937

I picked up the rubbing compound for a future detailing project (my oh-so-sorry looking `92 SVX) . . . my concern is that the compound I purchased isn`t the same as the Perfect-It "Fine Cut" Rubbing Compound; I don`t want to get *too* agressive. This weekend I`ll be tackling a swirly black `92 T-bird. I intend to use the FI2, and wanted the SMR on hand to take care of any possible hazing from the FI2. Is the P3 Machine Glaze also suited to that task?

Thanks for any advice,

Tort

KR CoolShine
08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
The PI 3 will be fine for your task. I used it alone to remove some light swirls and was very pleased.

In fact, I think it is better than the SMR because the SMR has fillers and the PI3 does not.

So, with the SMR, the car looks good but are the swirls gone or are they filled?

imported_Luster
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I have used TUFF STUFF on upholstery and carpet for years. It`s sold by most auto parts stores and it`s only about $4 per can. NEVER had any problem with TUFF STUFF!

I`ve always found that it works pretty well on both carpet and fabric seats.....

Not so fast. I used TS on a vehlcle with tan carpet and floor mats and it left STAINS that looked like bleach stains!!!!!

I actually had to go to the auto paint store and buy some spray carpet dye. The finished product turned out great, but not worth the RISK!

This is the first time this has happened with TS. Very disappointing. The vehicle was a `96 Ford F150 pickup. Tan carpet. Sorry I was too pissed to take pictures!!!!:mad::banghead::mad::banghead::mad::cu rsing::cursing:

Fair warning. Always do a test spot first!!!! (I should know better!!!!)

imported_wfedwar
11-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow, I`m amazed. Thanks for the heads-up. I guess its best to do a test spot even with something you think is safe.

QUIK4DR
11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
It could have been a contaminate in/on the carpet that actually removed the dye when the contaminate itself was removed.

Tuck91
11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I actually use a fair amount of Tuff Stuff, thanks for the heads up Bill.

Old Pirate
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Great heads up Bill,:thumbup: lesson for everyone...always do a test spot.

imported_Luster
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
It could have been a contaminate in/on the carpet that actually removed the dye when the contaminate itself was removed.

That`s possible.... It was a scary moment on a customer`s vehicle!!!!:out:

QUIK4DR
11-06-2009, 11:36 PM
That would bunch the shorts a bit I`m sure.:o

imported_Luster
11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
That would bunch the shorts a bit I`m sure.:o

More than that in my shorts I`m afraid!!!!

The thing is I`ve used it hundreds of times with no problems whatsoever!

imported_broker99
11-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I just used some stuff (cant remember the name) but it was in a green can with a yellow cap that acted as a brush. My wife used it on a spot on the carpet and told me to buy another can. I will see if I can find the name.

Thanks for the head up. Always good to know about the OTC gems that everyone finds.

imported_wfedwar
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Saw this quote on Chemical Guys` website and thought it might pertain to this thread:

*Special precautions are necessary if the stain has been caused by animal urine. The urine may affect the color fast nature of the dye used in the carpet.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Fabric_and_Upholstery_Shampoo_Stain_Eliminator_p/cws_103.htm