PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressing Sling

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rob Howard
08-06-2001, 07:39 PM
Is it really beneficial to wash the vehicle, then AIO, immediately take that off and then apply SG, let it dry for 20 minutes or so, then take it off and repeat the SG process again? Or should one AIO, take that off, then apply SG, let it dry for 20 minutes and take it off and wait 24hours to apply another SG coat? Help please before I really detail my car this week!

Thanks guys!

corvettez
08-06-2001, 07:57 PM
I would wash the car first using a quality shampoo of your choice. If your happy with the condition of the paint and don`t feel the need to polish then start with the AIO as you said. Some like two coats of AIO, some like one. I have used two myself and liked the results, it`s up to you. The AIO goes on and gets buffed right out. The SG has to haze up for at least twenty mins or longer possibly depending on climate and the 2nd, 3rd coat etc... can be put down one right after the other following the same guide lines. I think you were close to having the process down.

pingiii
08-06-2001, 07:58 PM
You just stated both schools of thought around here.

Yes, put the AIO on, work it till it`s tacky and then wipe it off. Don`t let the AIO dry, cause you`ll be buffing a whole lot more.

As for the SG, some folks put it on wait 20 minutes, use a Quick Detailer like Meguiar`s #34, to help buff it off. They then apply a second coat.

For my self, Terry Freiberg at Classis Motoring, where I bought my first bottle of SG, said to give it 12 to 24 hours to cure.

So either is acceptable. Try a coat one way, and then try a coat the other. You decide what works for you. I like to wait, but that`s just me. Enjoy!

drmcetta
08-06-2001, 09:40 PM
The way I did it..you can put 2 or 3 layer of SG right away..and then put another coat or two after the next wash :)

bmw5541
11-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I have been using Megs High Endurance Tire Gel, and have liked the looks of it. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting a lot of sling. I am applying a thin coat with a foam applicator. I let it dry for about 1 hour and then buff off the excess. I am not sure why it is slinging off onto the paint. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to use a water based dressing.

What dressings do you all like that have no sling?

Husker Z
11-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Zaino Z16 is the best tire dressing I`ve ever used and I`ve used just about everything out there.

DLB
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I really like SCG Beond Black Tire Dressing. A little goes a long way, and you can adjust your shine level by application.

Never have had any sling with it.

DLB

imported_Luster
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I mostly use water-based dressings. They`re "satin" finish and don`t sling.

I apply with a sponge or brush, let dry for 10 minutes, buff lightly with a towel.

These are the ones within easy reach (my favs...):

1. Z-16
2. Chemical Guys VRP (It`s a thick gel so I cut it 50/50 with water and put it in a spray bottle)
3. Poorboys Bold & Bright

Old Pirate
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
They need to clean right before any tire dressing goes on. If not they are very likely to sling on you.

bmw5541
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
They need to clean right before any tire dressing goes on. If not they are very likely to sling on you.

I always clean them thouroughly with APC and a tire brush dipped in car soap before I dress them. I also dry them with a leaf blower. I guess I am putting it on thicker then I think I am.:scared:

imported_User Name
11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I always clean them thouroughly with APC and a tire brush dipped in car soap before I dress them. I also dry them with a leaf blower. I guess I am putting it on thicker then I think I am.:scared:

I use the same stuff and only get sling when I put it on too thick. Otherwise I am pretty much sling free.

Old Pirate
11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
It could be too much on the tire, try less.

bmw5541
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I use the same stuff and only get sling when I put it on too thick. Otherwise I am pretty much sling free.

I think I have my answer.

Dude, that Avitar is really hasrhing my mellow:scared::scared:lol

Old Pirate
11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
She`s hot for someone...........not me!

imported_Flash Gordon
11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Tire dressing to me is an insult to all the hard work I`ve preformed

Its kinda like putting steak sauce on a finely marinated ribeye or touching an artist painting :out:

Not only does it sling junk on the paint, it also attracs dirt/brake dust

I dress the wheeel wells and leave the tires alone