PDA

View Full Version : The Theory of "Run Flat" Technology.....

Pages : [1] 2

jmeiers
08-06-2001, 01:19 PM
I`ve been lurking and learning for the past 3 weeks preparing for my first detailing of my new 2001.5 Passat. Through some PMs with PassatPunk and ru1thirst (thanks guys!), I am about ready to order my Klasse AIO, SG, and Blitz (already have Meguiar`s Gold Wash plus some other detailing staples). I am setting aside 8-10 hours for my first detailing venture. My question is where do you guys perform your detailing? Obviously shade (of some sort) is of upmost importance. But is tree shade risky to work under (sap, bird droppings, etc)? A garage might be good, but (at least in ours) there is a good amount of dust. I am currently planning to work in our front yard under a big shade tree (back yard is fenced).

I`d be curious to hear what others do.

Thanks,

Jon

tonysandiego
08-06-2001, 01:42 PM
I much prefer a garage over outside under a tree. If you have a dust problem in the garage, maybe you should spend some time on it first. I`ve just spent the last 6 weekends revitalizing my 40 year old garage, and it makes all the difference in the world. you don`t have to go to the extant that Brad or I have done, just clean it up and get rid of anything that you have not used or <strong class=`bbc`>looked for[/b] in the last 12 months. You`ll be amazed at how much stuff will fall in to that catagory.

A few good flouresent fixtures won;t cost much and will show a lot more than being outside in the shade.

[url-"http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1324434&a=13578033&f=0"]The Castle[/url}

tonysandiego
08-06-2001, 01:44 PM
The Castle (`http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1324434&a=13578033&f=0`)

alpine
08-06-2001, 01:49 PM
SteveL-

How do you like those cabinets?? Are they the ones that Home Depot sells. If they are I was thinking about getting the same ones and wondered how well that are put together. The ones on display at Home Depot are on the top shelf so I can`t tell what the quality of the wood, hardware...etc is.

tonysandiego
08-06-2001, 02:00 PM
Yea, they are from Home Depot. The quality is OK, but remember I only spent $350 for everything! I got a price from a couple of closet companies and a kitchen shop, and for the same thing they wanted like $1300. I don`t expect for them to last for 40 years, but over all they are pretty good. Go together very quickly and are <strong class=`bbc`>VERY HEAVY[/b]. the 2 tall cabinets weigh 125 lbs. a piece!

janderson
08-06-2001, 02:15 PM
I personally feel that you are in an environment to do your best work, when you are outside. I know that garages provide the most protection, but as one of the threads from last week talks about the personal satisfactions of detailing. I find that I really enjoy being outside working on my car.

Tree selection is crucial. Do not park under a pine tree, or any type of tree that you know sheds its leaves during the time of year that you are going to be washing, cleaning, and detailing your car. I know that all trees shed at some point, and that most trees (like humans) have dead leaves (for humans hair and skin cells) that fall off on their own. You might have a leaf or two fall on your car, but you can simply pick them off with your fingers.

Plus, who wants to be inside for 8 to 10 hours working, when it is beautiful outside during the day? Not me. Maybe I am just a outdoors kind of guy.

touhy
08-06-2001, 02:25 PM
I do my work in the blind alley behind the Mediterrainean restaurant. I love the smell of lamb and polymers in the morning

jwil
08-06-2001, 02:56 PM
I live in an apartment, so I don`t have may detailing options at this point, but after a nice wash at the local coin op (with my own tools of course!), I stop at a vacant office park on the way home for the serious detailing work. It gives me good shade next to a building, and it`s very relaxing since it`s surrounded by trees.

YoSteve
08-06-2001, 02:58 PM
the sun sets on the back side of my house so when it comes over the house and makes just a big enough shadow to encompass my house, thats when it starts. Funny I get to detail at earlier and earlier times these days. Then by the time if sets if i`m not done and it`s dark I transfer to the garage with some clampled up supplimental lighting (never put temporary lighting above your car for fear of dropping (or hoses so i`ve heard) The best place I`ve ever detailed is a big A/C`ed lighted garage at an audio install shop.

Brad B
08-06-2001, 05:02 PM
Great pics. I envy your attention to detail like the nice trim work and flush mount lights. Make my chain hanging cheapos look really cheezy! I also see you have extra width on the tire rack. Must be extra space for those Speester autocross tires, eh? Did you get a discount on the floor painting since you posted the advertising on the web? The Tv, though, that`s gotta go. The Speedvision races are going to look like matchbox cars! Ha! Other than a few items that are not the official RED or YELLOW theme colors, it looks pretty cool! Ha!

By the way, I bet nobody knows what the red square with the round hole is on the side wall. I think we need a contest. C`mon folks, take a guess!

imported_Adamah
08-06-2001, 05:53 PM
You mean the dolly for the vac?

DaGonz
08-06-2001, 08:16 PM
I do my detailing in my garage. When the weather turns cold, I do it in the firehouse. We are allowed to bring our vehicles in days after the Chief`s office closes, and on nights and weekends.

jwil
08-06-2001, 08:18 PM
on that red thingy is...It`s a bucket dolly, it looks like the shop vac is kinda mounted permanently....?

KR CoolShine
08-06-2001, 09:05 PM
Gonzo,

I have a good friend who is a firefighter. At his station, the entire basement is a large open garage with floor drains. The guys take care of their cars there in the winter and he has invited me down from time to time. If this coming winter is bad, I may do it.

cpaddock
08-06-2001, 09:48 PM
My boss lets me use our building at work. Nice and big. As a bonus we have coolers to store product so when I get hot I go chill in the nice 38 degree temps:)