PDA

View Full Version : Who`s concerned about H1N1/Swine Flu?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bigbobv
08-06-2001, 08:21 AM
OK, here`s a puzzle. I have a new BMW330Ci (black) and my wife has a new Chrysler Sebring (red convertible, of course). Both have been treated with Zaino. On two occasion, we left the cars outside just long enough for a bird to leave its calling card on the hood, and in both situation it left a deep scar in the paint, almost as if it chemically reacted with the paint underneath the clear coat.

My point, though, is that this never happened to this degree with carnauba-based waxes I have used in the past. It is almost as if the Zaino offers no protection or even reacts in some way with the acids in the droppings, so now I am beginning to wonder if Zaino is all shine and no protection.

Meantime, any ideas on how to remove the scarring?

Thanks.

Dolphin463
08-06-2001, 09:50 AM
I had the same problem with my Red `99 323i except the bird droppings were on the hood. I removed them the same day by washing the car but the damage was already done. The only way to remove it is to level the spot with abrasives. I used Finesse it, mostly by hand since I did not want to treat a large area. I got most of it out but I was afraid to go much further for fear of removing too much clear coat.

I am surprise that a synthetic like Zaino does not protect the paint better. When this happened, I was just using Carnauba. Now I use AIO/SG/Blitz and have had no major problems.

DETAILKING
08-06-2001, 11:50 AM
Bird crap contains acids and other bad stuff from the bird`s stomach that will attack paint and sealants just like bug guts will ove time. It is best to remove bird droppings ASAP. I would clay the area and use a mild abrasive to get the etching out like 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009 and re-zaino.

alpine
08-06-2001, 12:29 PM
I was really looking forward to getting some Zaino, but now I am not too sure after hearing this. Maybe I should just go the Klasse, Blitz route.

DETAILKING
08-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Just the facts. Zaino is very durable and provides complete protection.

jr weeks
08-06-2001, 01:23 PM
About 3 years ago I had Zymol Carbon ( carnauba ) on my car, my wife parked it at a mall under lighting stancions, and by the time she got the car home , the ( Seagull ) droppings had etched. Within 3 HOURS!!!If you want to find a reason to dislike Zaino, go at it, but this ain`t one of them. The acids in bird droppings will eat through anything you put on the car, like it or not. Wax/ polymer just buys you some time. Detailking`s advice to get it ASAP is your only recourse.

alpine
08-06-2001, 01:42 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Just the facts. Zaino is very durable and provides complete protection. [/b]</blockquote>
Thanks Detailking. I guess I just got a little worried when I read this topic. I already have a garage full of stuff that I purchased that did not perform like I expected.
I think I am gonna get the Zaino products anyways. Besides, I just cannot get that picture of the yellow vette out of my head. That thing is so clean looking :)

tonysandiego
08-06-2001, 01:52 PM
about a month ago. I thought that the remaining marks were a lot worse than I had experienced in the past with other waxes, but did not think any more of it. I would like to hear from those who have Klasse experience, what their findings are.

<strong class=`bbc`>Nick[/b]...My wife has decided to order a new Black 330Ci. How do you like it, and what additions have you made to it if any. I want to add M3 mirrors and trunck spoiler, Hartge frt. spoiler and Classic Wheels, clear lenses, window tint and Shadowline Trim around the side windows. Since I`m going to have to take care of it, I might as well make it the way I would want it.

bigbobv
08-06-2001, 03:25 PM
Steve,

You`re a good man, Charlie Brown, if you are buying your wife a 330Ci. I owned and heavily modified two E30s (`86 325, `87 325i) but my 330Ci is awesome. With a new order, you will be getting the stiffer steering so the car is back to being the Ultimate Driving Experience rather than the Ultimate Steering Experience). Options: leather is a rip-off for $$, but have to have it as a matter of principle, Sport Package is a must if you are to enjoy the potential of the car, Premium Package is silliness for a car designed to be driven rather than indulged in. I LOVE the car!!

Now, mods are mostly a matter of personal taste, but here`s my view -- albeit from a bimmer purist.

I dislike mods that take aware from the distinct character of the E46 or seek to dress it up like a circus pony. The reason I got black to begin with is that there is a classic, elegant aggressiveness about the color that rarely needs further statement. Thus said, the mods that I feel add to that statement, and those that do not:

Add: window tint, Shadowline window trim, custom wheels but not highly chromed finish. Hartge trim is OK, but a spoiler is almost fundamentally at odds with the style of a bimmer, which prefers to showcase its performance under the hood and not on its sleeve.

Subtract: Clear lights. I am perplexed with the clear lights compulsion. It can look too much like you have a Honda Accord by the time you are done. I actually prefer the splash of amber color against the black, at least with the turn signal lights (sidemarkers could be smoke or white since they serve little aesthetic purpose).

Hope that helps. Oh, there is a nice little vanity mirror on each sun visor, which comes in handy when you want to check the silly grin on your face every time you drive or ride in a 330Ci. Comes standard -- the mirror and the grin.

JasonC8301
08-06-2001, 03:30 PM
Is a 2001 (new) 330xi 4dr Sedan (4WD) with

1. 5 speed steptronic auto

2. Cold Weather Package

3. In dash Cd player

4. Xenon lights

5. Rear side impact airbags

a good price at $38,565?

Thanks

Jason

YoSteve
08-06-2001, 04:35 PM
I`ve been leaving out little bowls of AIO all over my yard in hopes that little birds will drink up; that way they`d crap AIO infused crap and it would actually clean the car (or they`d die) but either way it would help solve the problem :D they should make a car wax safe acid neutralizing spray / QD.

ISLANDSBEST
08-06-2001, 05:38 PM
From my experience and from reading posts, I have not seen a consensus opinion that there is any product that gives great protection from droppings. I do know that my ten coats of Zaino really help. But, I do not count on it for long term help.

Really, the only solution is to try to minimize the exposure to begin with: don`t park under trees, lamp posts, telephone wire. Park in a covered location or use a car cover any time the car is going to be parked for more than a couple hours. Have cleaning supplies in the trunk, check your car quickly when you get back from where ever (if it was not covered) and get the BB off ASAP if you discover one.

[Edited by darbh on 08-06-2001 at 09:50 PM]

DETAILKING
08-06-2001, 07:24 PM
You mean this one? LOL

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575126&a=11974151&p=52366082 (`http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575126&a=11974151&p=52366082`)

Jason....5-6% over invoice is a very good price. Go to edmunds and price it out.

imported_capid1
08-07-2001, 05:10 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Nick [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

My point, though, is that this never happened to this degree with carnauba-based waxes I have used in the past. It is almost as if the Zaino offers no protection or even reacts in some way with the acids in the droppings, so now I am beginning to wonder if Zaino is all shine and no protection.

Meantime, any ideas on how to remove the scarring?

Thanks. [/b]</blockquote>
No one else seems to have pointed out that maybe it etched into the Zaino and not so much the paint??? thats why it looks like as if its extra bad??? I never used Zaino but i know a dull part on my Klasse would stand out like a sore thumb, compared to the old wax days

alpine
08-07-2001, 08:49 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>You mean this one? LOL

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575126&a=11974151&p=52366082 (`http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575126&a=11974151&p=52366082`) [/b]</blockquote>
Oh Yeah!!!!! *wipes drool from mouth*

Is that your car??