PDA

View Full Version : 1st time using a PC

ka1srs
08-06-2001, 07:07 AM
I saw a Corrado at Waterfest (big VW show) from my hotel room. Thought it was a silver/blue 2-tone paint job.

When I saw it up close, I realized the front, mirror buckets, lower half of the doors/panels, and a little of the hood was covered in 3M painters tape.

I know (from being a new homeowner) that it sticks pretty well, but comes off very easily too.

Coulda used it. Got stuck behind a truck kicking out who knows what. Winshield looks like it has overspray on it, and I picked up micro-pits and a couple of chips for my trouble.

I ask becuase I am going to a show around 35 miles away. I`ll be going in the early AM hours and bugs are thick then. I thought maybe some tape on the bumper will save me a lot of QD`ing when I get there.

Brad B
08-06-2001, 07:37 AM
Yes, I have done this, too! I covered the front of my S4 the day I picked it up from a Chicago dealership preparing to drive back to St. Louis. There was a huge snow storm at the time and I knew the roads would be full of salt and sand. It worked, no nicks! Of course it did look like a hoochie-mobile with bright blue tape all over it!

I use this tape often for masking or even protecting paint while I work on the car. In fact, I did so this weekend. I put on tape over the bumper lip while I removed a tight fitting headlight assembly. Worked like a charm. No residue.

One thing I can`t attest to is prolonged sun exposure. Just don`t bake it on.

cahlroach
08-06-2001, 06:49 PM
I did some searching and didn`t come up with much. Do you guys know any good sources for 3M painters tape?

Thanks

imported_Adamah
08-06-2001, 06:55 PM
The blue tape works pretty good but 2" wide electrical tape gives a little more protection and is waterproof.

imported_Brad
08-06-2001, 08:07 PM
Most every paint store carries it. Also most home repair stores have it.

bobdec
08-06-2001, 08:32 PM
You should be able to find the 3M blue tape in a marine supply store as well as the 3M green tape. The blue tape is designed to stay on for a few days max while the green will last in the sun for a few weeks so it depends on how long you want to leave it on. If you leave the blue on too long in the sun, you will get residue left behind.

bmw5541
11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I am going to do my long awaited fall detail this weekend. I was all set to do it by hand, since I don`t have a DA yet. Fortunately, a detailer friend of mine lent me his PC to use for my detail.

I will be using PB SSR2 with an orange pad, and then Optimum Finish Polish with a green finishing pad.

Any advise would be GREATLY APRECIATED:thumbup:

Also does anyone have any experience with the products that I will be using?

imported_Luster
11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
SSR2 has a fairly light cut so it should be fine for light swirls. For heavy swirls you would need a little heavier compound.

With the PC, start out by priming your pad thoroughly. Put an "X" on your pad and rub it in with your fingers until there is non left on the surface. Then put another "X" on the pad and prime lightly.

Work an area 2` x 2`, first horizontal, then vertical. Use very slow passes and moderate pressure, but make sure the pad continues to spin.

For the first minute or so, use speed 3 to assure that the polish doesn`t sling and work the polish into the paint. After that, apply a little more pressure and change the speed to 5 or 6.

Work the polish until you can see the shine clearly through the polish.

When moderate dusting occurs, change pads.

Continue this process over the entire vehicle.

bmw5541
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks Bill,

The swirls are really very light, so I don`t need anything with a heavy cut. However, if I knew that I was going to be using a PC, I would have picked up the SSR2.5.

bmw5541
11-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Anybody else want to chime in?

bmw5541
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

I am asking for advice. This is my first time using a PC and nobody but Luster is willing to offer up any help? That`s what this site is for!

Please guys, give a newb some much needed advise.

Old Pirate
11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Drop me a line tomorrow morning at PAC and I`ll go over it with you..........Angelo

bmw5541
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Drop me a line tomorrow morning at PAC and I`ll go over it with you..........Angelo

Thanks Angelo!!!

Will do.:rockon:

bmw5541
11-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Okay, so I did most of te detail today. I washed, clayed, polished with PB SSR2 / Optimum Finish Polish, sealed paint and wheels with BFWD. I will be doing 2 more coats of BFWD tomorrow. I will post pics in the show and shine.

I would like to personnaly thank Angelo for helping me this morning with some great advise. I was a little worried about using the PC for the first time, but Angelo gave me some great advise.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You da Man Angelo:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Old Pirate
11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Great to hear your not a PC virgin no more!:hurray: I`m very happy to hear that it work for you and can`t wait to see some pictures of your work some!