PDA

View Full Version : LC CCS Orange Pad hops and jumps like crazy...

Pages : [1] 2

YoSteve
08-05-2001, 10:05 PM
You might never wash your car the way you normally do, again. I know this is extra long, but I wanted to be super specific and show pictures, and I’m excited because I was completely happy with my refined detailing method, but was never happy with my same old ineffective washing method, UNTIL NOW.

Let me tell you first off that Pinnacle body wash rocks. From Don and Punk`s (and others’) testimonies I decided to get it. I knew that this stuff would foam up a storm and I decided to take advantage of that completely.

I hate the way I wash my car, no matter how many buckets or how many mitts or whatever, it’s just not effective (that is everything gets all dirty). I’m convinced that a big old yucky mitt just isn’t cool (I absolutely dislike putting a clean mitt and rubbing it all over a visible dirt layer on a panel. The only part I like about soap is the foam and the foam only. I basically pull the foam off the top of the bucket and spread that lightly on my paint, but after a few seconds the foam gets water gets contaminated (despite rinsing my mitt) and it’s cumbersome.

So here’s what I did. I put about a teaspoon or a little more of the shampoo (smelled nice) and filled the rest with water, in what used to be a foaming face wash dispenser (cleaned out really well). If you are unfamiliar with these its like a soap dispenser but it draws in air and out comes all foam rather than just soap (see the pic).

I started on my wheels and dispensed a pump or two of pinnacle suds and used my bare hand and soaped up a wheel completely. Then I moved on to the second wheel and did the same keeping the first wheel soaped. The foam worked really nice at staying put providing scrub free cleaning action. I did all the wheels and then I had a thought. Why not don’t I try this on the paint too?

So here’s what happened. I wetted down the whole car (in the shade of course) (nice little water beads all around). Then one panel at a time with dispenser in hand I soaped up the entire panel, not even barely touching the panel but with the thick rich foam itself (no mitt, just hands) like applying shaving cream on your face. I then thought, what happens if my hand gets dirty? So I filled a clean bucket with water and every few soaps I’d dunk and rinse my hand. Then I went over the foamed spot with my hand (this worked really when cause you could feel every spot (so smooth) Then I got to a lower panel and thought that I needed more “scrubbing” ability for the bugs and bigger dirty spots. Ended up soaping the lower panel letting it sit for a minute or two then I followed it up by more soap on one of my mini microfiber towels. The little bugs came right off and it was so smooth and it rocked and now I’m convinced that this is the way I’m going to wash my car (when I can take the time) every week. I didn’t use a mit, nor 2 buckets of water and I found out the little microfiber clothes make excellent scrubbing cloths, and I used less than two teaspoons of soap with some in the dispenser to spare. You can do each panel in any order cause you will have new foam and a clean rinsed hand; it rocks. My car never looked better and I am reassured because as I soaped with my bare hand I could get all the little “rough” spots to a butter finish.

Now I know everyone has there own way of washing their cars. You guys are the most diverse and open people to detailing techniques. Go out and get a foaming dispenser (I’m not sure if they make them without stuff in it), so you might have to sacrifice a face cleaner or dial foaming dispenser. But you have to try the wet a panel, a foamy hand, and mini MF method. The endless amount of foam stays white and I’ll have so many washes with the amount use, I even had to rinse really well because the foam was all over (this has now just been a patented process by me :D ) Just look at that picture you can’t get that much foam unless you over use soap and refill your bucket. "Trust me, you won`t be dissapointed" (my Don line <-- )

http://yosteveshop.homestead.com/files/newwash.jpg

DETAILKING
08-06-2001, 12:18 AM
but I would be afraid to use my hands....if there is dirt on the car, you are moving it around on the paint. yeah the soap provides lube, but a wash mitt or towel is much more forgiving than your hands.

I know someone that does not use a bucket....he puts car wash directly on a washmitt and washes that way and rinses. His car never really gets that dirty though as it is dusted and spray detailed every day.

imported_TSC17
08-06-2001, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I would have agree with DK. I would be afraid of using my hands too.

Bob Post
08-06-2001, 12:50 AM
Not sure about using my hand to wash, would seem to take forever as your hand has very little surface area, plus I don`t think it would remove dirt very well. I will admit, you guys really are perfectionist, always thinking of new ways to do things!

Dark Silver
08-06-2001, 02:59 AM
One advantage of a quality mitt is that it can pull dirt up into the fibers, not just holding it on the surface to be dragged along the finish of the car. You couldn`t really do that with your skin.

Footy
08-06-2001, 06:04 AM
One big advantage I can see that the hand would have over a wash mitt is feedback - you would be able to feel whenever you encounter dirt or grit.

Not sure if I would try YoSteve`s method myself, but I recall my brother used to wash his cars with nothing but his palm and plain water. It was probably OK because his cars were never really dirty in the first place.

Brad B
08-06-2001, 07:52 AM
I agree with everyone that is concerned that your hand is not the best surface to rub against the car.

However, I did like your process of using the pump. I expanded on it a little and found it pretty successful. You may give it a try.

I washed using a mitt and squirted the shampoo inside of the mitt. It worked its way through the mitt and provided a lot of foam evenly over the car. Since I use running water along side the mitt, it kept the suds coming.

YoSteve
08-06-2001, 08:27 AM
I was thinking I would get no input back so thanks for this consant refinement (and reading the long post).

Now I too thought the same way about using the hand.

Here are my theories

-like footy said, the feedback is amazing, you can instantly tell when there`s a rough spot on your paint. I did the cd test with my hand. With the soap you`re gliding you hand on the surface more like hydroplaning, it doesn`t seem to scratch at all.

-you can also tell the instant your hand has dirt on it and you can just dunk and rinse in a fresh bucket (that is your hand is always perfectly clean the whole time (with a mitt you drench and IMO if you don`t pick out all the little cinder`s and stuff its not perfectly clean)

-many people clay and exactly how many times does your skin hit the paint then, skin does not scratch paint (and you will feel any scratching dirt on your hands), many people even use finger nails to get the tough imperfections out.

-something softer than the thing it`s touching is will not scratch it (undeniable physical fact)

-the other thing is that since you use it by squirts the mini towels are more efficient than the mitt, (imo)

-but one things for sure it`ll take very little of that really expesive soap to do the entire car.

JasonC8301
08-06-2001, 08:53 AM
What will the car shampoo do to your hands after prolong washing with your hands? I do not want to know or find out, let me keep thinking about that one so I can detail cars without a regret!

I try to keep my hands in good condition. A good washing with Soft soap or hair shampoo after a car detail, and lots of hand lotion.

Any recommendations from you detailers out there that keep your hands silky smooth?

Anyway I`ll get away from my sensitive side,

Jason

DETAILKING
08-06-2001, 11:15 AM
Toughen up those hands! Chicks will like them better that way! LOL

JasonC8301
08-06-2001, 11:18 AM
How would you know???? j/k

ISLANDSBEST
08-07-2001, 12:26 AM
I hate milk-toast, middle of the roaders. I LOVE people who, right or wrong, go for it.

YoSteve! Right or wrong, you go for it!

Your hand washing is right up there with my blow drying my car!

I can see the natural concern for scratching the paint. I can also see where, if your hands are not too cauloused, you could tell immediately if you where dragging dirt on the paint.

I rinse the car with plain water, then with water than has car shampoo it it (though one of those nossles than introduces soap) before a wash mitt touches the paint. This get most dirt off.

Brad B
08-07-2001, 07:57 AM
My thought is: If you feel dirt on the paint, isn`t it too late? You`ve already caused a scratch. The pressure of your hand is much greater than that of a mitt.

Oh well, more power to you. Let us know how it works out.

ru1thirst
08-07-2001, 08:35 AM
What type of sprayer (brand) and where do you get this sprayer that also sprays the soap. Hows the set up? That sounds like a great idea if I could get my soap on along with the water before the mit even hits the paint. Sorry off topic but just waking up here. Thanks

YoSteve
08-07-2001, 08:56 AM
I think a sprayer might be a good compromise.

And yes it might be too late once you figure it out but you can use your thumb to check out your fingers (since that`s what your using) and for every time it`s too late on your fingers (and you catch it immedately) versus every time you catch it too late on your towel mitt (and catch it way later) which cause the more frequent bigger scratches.

I`m probably going to stick to using a mini-mf, so mitt users should suppliment their washing regimes with added foam with a dispenser; it`ll at least help that.

check out M&W 10:30pm EST at the site.