PDA

View Full Version : New car ??what should i do?

Pages : [1] 2

tsolomon
08-05-2001, 07:04 PM
I need some advice on Glass Cleaners, the ones I have been using leave buildup and smears on the glass.

Thanks Jerry in Minnesota.

Ron Ketcham
08-05-2001, 07:15 PM
As a rule, household glass cleaners contain ammonia and a surfactant such as butyl cellosolve. These create streaks.

Use an alcohol based glass cleaner, may have a very small amount of surfactant, less than .5%, but should be heavy on the blend of alcohols.

We recently had to take back a shipment of 50 drums of our glass cleaner concentrate as the factory when blending, added 5% of DPN to the mix. Streaked, was foamy, etc.

Plus, had to track down all the 5 gallon pails, one gallon bottles and replace them.

All because someone had a hangover, or forgot their glasses, or the supervisor was negligent that day when doing the blend.

Few thousands down the toilet over that one.

imported_TSC17
08-05-2001, 07:51 PM
I have been using this Stoner Invisible Glass for couple of weaks, it does a fanatastic job.

It is an aersole spray and it is easy to use, won`t drip like ordianry glass cleaners. once sparyed will stay on window until you wipe it clean.

you can get it at pepboys for like i think little bit less than $ 5. and you can also find the description on the CMA web page at http://www.properautocare.com (`http://www.properautocare.com`)

i would give this product a try, it really works well. :D

MrPongoSS
08-05-2001, 08:25 PM
I wouldn`t recommend using Armor All Glass Cleaner either. It claims to be streak free but no matter how well you think you have cleaned the windows there are streaks.

I have heard Mothers makes a good product but it`s extremely hard to find. Mother`s Chrome polish is what I recommend, it works great leaving an excellent shine as well as cleaning.

old_gonzo
08-05-2001, 09:56 PM
Eagle One 20/20 Glass Cleaner, and it did an okay job; a little bit better than the Armor All Glass Cleaner (Armor All Glass Cleaner = not very good at all). I have since tried the Stoner`s Invisible Glass and feel that it is a superior product in it`s effectiveness. Definately worth a try when you are trying to decide on a glass cleaner.

08-05-2001, 10:05 PM
I have tried AmorAll`s Auto Glass cleaner, Turtle Wax`s Clear Vue and Stoner`s Invisible Glass - the Stoner`s was the best one but it could not remove some water spots - but a solution of equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar did remove them - just be careful not to get this on your paint - I dip a folded white paper towel in it and wipe the glass and then go over it with a dry paper towel

hook
08-05-2001, 10:11 PM
All-in-one your car, then use the applicator to do the windows. Cleans, polishes, leaves a nice slick finish (like rain-X).

I was hesitant to do the inside glass this way, but so far it`s been great.

blue skies,

Andy

YoSteve
08-05-2001, 10:14 PM
...windex never did (that industrial purple stuff works though for the house and my mom love`s this wierd stuff called Window Clear it`s from switzerland and germany or something like that)

I use a drop of AIO with a lot of water and "scrub" with either a mf applicator or a mini mf (does all the windows), then buff to an awesome shine with an MT.

Greek Guy
08-06-2001, 08:19 AM
Stoners Invisible Glass or Clear Vision.

ISLANDSBEST
08-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Unless you have a problem, try MF and distilled water for routine QDing of the windows. No film, because you are just using 100% pure water. As, no problem with overspray on to the paint.

Use a dampened, rough MF for cleaning and a smoother MF for drying. The Bed, Bath and Beyond MF Hair towels work great for drying (they are a suede). Have a spray bottle of distilled water at hand, to use on the windows when the cleaning MF starts to dry out.

imported_capid1
08-07-2001, 04:05 AM
as i ate away my packet of chips the next day my skin was all gone and sore, last time that happend was when i used kitchen vynl cleaner to get the paint off my old wheels, so Id say Vinegar is kinda really abrasive!

08-07-2001, 09:07 AM
It ate the skin off your lips? Wow - that`s a new one - seriously, vinegar is acidic - so that`s why you need to be careful and not let it get on your paint

dtraylor
08-07-2001, 10:01 AM
What I do (and the seasoned detailers on here will proly gasp :D ) is make a mixture of 1/3 pure alcohol and 2/3 water and put it in a spray bottle, spray on the widows, and wipe it off with a newspaper that I have wadded up, and just wipe it off like you would with any old towel or rag. Works good for me, gives teh windows a wet sort of look, hasnt done any damage either.

old_gonzo
08-07-2001, 10:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with your method. Many people use alcohol and water for cleaning glass as it is usually quite effective. Some (and that would include myself) will consider the use of newspaper "old school", but I do still hear of others who prefer the Sunday paper on their glass. To each their own. :)

egadd
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
got myself a retirement toy a pontiac G8 GT, its been sitting on the lot all summer long it dose not fill smooth,what steps do i need to do this is a 2009 paint color is Quicksilver, if clay bar what gram to use or should i use a cleaner wax,