PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing...

Pages : [1] 2 3

midyearroadster
08-04-2001, 09:41 AM
Are two coats of Zanio Z2,adequate for weather protection,if your not concerned about the depth of the shine.Especially in the winter,I wash weekely in the winter. I will most likely apply a coat of Zanio 2 times during the winter.Won`t do the claybar thing,until spring

DCT
08-04-2001, 10:35 AM
and how bad is your winter? Is your vehicle an every day driver? Garage kept?

imported_brianshaeffer
08-04-2001, 11:15 AM
Personally, I`d bite the bullet and put at least 5 coats of Z2 on. Not for the shine, but for the protective properties.

PS: Can there ever be too many coats of Z2?

ISLANDSBEST
08-04-2001, 01:01 PM
I`m with aaron330i. I doubt that five coats are necessary for protective purposes, but it takes very little time to do a coat of Z.

During the summer, you are washing your car anyway, so just throw a coat of Z on after your regular car wash. By the time winter gets here, you will have many coats. Plus, your car will look incredible, assuming your paint was OK to begin with.

midyearroadster
08-04-2001, 02:46 PM
Winters in Omaha are tuff. They use salt on the streets like there`s no tomorrow. Black and red car`s look almost white from the salt. Thats why I wash weekly.

TortoiseAWD
08-04-2001, 04:22 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Tom F [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Winters in Omaha are tuff. They use salt on the streets like there`s no tomorrow. Black and red car`s look almost white from the salt. Thats why I wash weekly. [/b]</blockquote>Hi, Tom! I was wondering when I might run across someone else from Omaha in this forum. I was starting to think I was the only Omahan (is that a word?) willing to try to keep my car clean :D Between the salt in the winter, and the bird bombs and endless construction dust in the summer, it ain`t easy.

If you`d like to give Zaino a try before committing to buying all the products, I`d be glad to let you use my stuff for the intial application (I`m assuming you aren`t a Z-user yet). I`ve got a Porter Cable 7424 on the way, too; you`re welcome to make use of it if you need to take care of any swirls.

Welcome aboard,
Tort

DETAILKING
08-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Multiple coats gives more protection......though....you be the judge.

DCT
08-04-2001, 07:32 PM
DK,

Is Zaino really that good that one coat will protect through an entire winter?

imported_brianshaeffer
08-04-2001, 09:12 PM
The only other problem with just one coat is that (at least for me), you`re not necessarily getting 100% coverage. On my silver car, I sometimes miss spots cause it`s so light.

Multiple coats ensures that the entire car will get covered.

imported_brianshaeffer
08-04-2001, 09:14 PM
Just noticed that I`m now a "Junior!" Yay!

midyearroadster
08-05-2001, 10:14 AM
TortoiseAWD

Thanks for the offer, I do currently use Zanio,I apply it with a P/C,a panel at a time. I go over the same panel,by hand, applying a small amount in the direction I want it applied. I have a white car (Honda) I think the shine was great before the Zanio. Thanks again Tom.

ISLANDSBEST
08-07-2001, 01:34 AM
I do not doubt DK, but, as Z is so easy to apply, just put on a coat after your weekly wash and in no time you will have a heavy layer of protection, plus the car will look great.

aaron330i - I have never heard of a problem from too many coats of Z2. Now, you do have to remember to do a coat of Z1 every 5-10 coats of Z2 (Sal says 10; DK reports better results with more frequent use of Z1, I believe on ligher cars).

imported_Luster
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
What`s your procedure for your:

A. Daily Drivers

B. Stored Vehicles

What are you doing to get your cars ready for winter?:D

Tucson buffer
11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
What`s a Winter?:scared: Sorry Bill haven`t had to do that since retiring and leaving Seattle several years ago....do love the mild winters down here...

TOGWT
11-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Winterize your car

Vehicle Mechanical Preparation (as recommended by ASE)
? Engine Performance - Get engine driveability problems (hard starts, rough idling, stalling, diminished power, etc.) corrected at a good repair shop. Cold weather makes existing problems worse. Replace dirty filters-air, fuel, PCV, etc.
? Fuel - Put a bottle of fuel de-icer in your tank once a month to help keep moisture from freezing in the fuel line. Note that a gas tank which is kept filled helps keep moisture from forming.
? Oil - Change your oil and oil filter as specified in your manual -- more often (every 3,000 miles or so) if your driving is mostly stop-and-go or consists of frequent short trips.
? Cooling System - The cooling system should be completely flushed and refilled as recommended. The level, condition, and concentration of the coolant should be checked periodically. (A 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water is usually recommended.)
? Windshield Wipers - Use the right windscreen fluid; together with proper wipers, an antifreeze solution will keep your windscreen clean at all times Replace old blades. If your climate is harsh, purchase rubber-clad (winter) blades to fight ice build-up. Change wiper blades; PIAA Super Silicone boosts your driving clarity, improve safety, and last longer
? Apply an anti-fogging? product to windscreen; Glass Science Fog Clear Gel prevents interior fogging of the windshield, windows, and mirrors. One clear coat creates a moisture absorbent barrier that prevents the formation of condensation. Maintain optimum visibility in humid, rainy, or cold weather conditions, Fog Clear keeps working to maintain optimum visibility. Stock up on windshield washer solvent-you`ll be surprised how much you use
? Heater/Defroster - Test heater, rear screen defrosters and hoses The heater and defroster must be in good working condition for passenger comfort and driver visibility. . Carry an ice-scraper.
? Battery - The only accurate way to detect a weak battery is with professional equipment. Routine care: Scrape away corrosion from posts and cable connections; clean all surfaces; re-tighten all connections. If battery caps are removable, check fluid level monthly. Removal of cables can cause damage or loss of data/codes on some newer vehicles. Check your manual. Have your battery and its charging system checked (?jump? leads may be useful for you, or to help someone else)
? Lights - Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs; periodically clean road grime from all lenses.
To prevent scratching, never use a dry rag.
? Exhaust System - Your vehicle should be placed on a lift and the exhaust system examined for leaks. The trunk and floor boards should be inspected for small holes. Exhaust fumes can be deadly.
? Tyres - Worn tyres will be of little use in winter weather. Examine tires for remaining tread life, uneven wearing, and cupping; check the sidewalls for cuts and nicks. Check tyre pressures once a month. Let the tyre "cool down" before checking the pressure. Rotate as recommended. Don`t forget your spare, and be sure the lifting jack is in good condition.
? Brakes - your brakes; if the brakes are not performing well, the car may pull to one side when stopping.
Note:
1. Take along emergency supplies; Scraper, gloves, sand and snow shovel in trunk (plus a good flashlight) are indispensable.
2. If you are storing your vehicle for the winter see article ?Vehicle Long-Term Storage?

Winter detailing - the vehicle?s paint system, tyres, glass, plastic and other exterior surfaces will be at the mercy of the elements, including wind, rain, sleet, snow, sand, gravel, and road salt. Autumn is your best opportunity to inspect and prepare your car for the ravages of winter, by providing the exterior paint system with a polymer or acrylic protective layer to provide a durable protection. Your car`s paint, tires, leather and rubber trim all need attention, even if you have cared for them all summer.

Washing your vehicle in Winter

Optimum No Rinse? Wash & Shine is an innovative product that protects automotive paint, while preserving our most valuable resource, water; enabling you to wash your car anywhere, anytime even inside your garage. It?s a multi-purpose product that serves as a shampoo additive, no rinse wash, quick detailer and clay lubricant.

Use as a winter car wash or in areas that have hosepipe ban, water usage restrictions, or where a water supply is not readily available (apartments, car shows, etc; cleans and protects while minimising water usage, 100% environmentally safe and it reduces water usage to a fraction of a conventional car wash, 1- oz ONR per 2- gallons of water to wash the entire car.

When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, encapsulating the soil particles, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) removal (For further information see the technical article ? Rinseless Car Wash? )

1. Apply a paint protection sealant (Zaino or Klasse) and then an LSP for extreme conditions (Collinite`s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax (476s) and / or Insulation Wax (845) or Finish Kare FK1000P)- use a damp applicator, work the wax into the surface to ensure a very thin layer, allow to dry for approx one hour (do a swipe-test) remove the residue with a clean micro fibre towel, its durable enough to resist salt, grit and repeated detergent washings, protection will last approximately 4-6 months
2. Change oil with suitable winter rating and change oil filter
3. Apply dressing to the interior surfaces (especially leather upholstery) Clean and vacuum the carpets Install all-weather floor mats; Weathertech ? Premium all-weather floor mats, made from natural heavy-duty rubber., Deeply sculpted channels that trap Water, Road Salt, Mud, and Sand, designed with anti-skid ridges to prevent shifting, won`t curl, crack, or harden in sub-zero weather, with non stick finish for quick and easy cleanup, TUV Approved, manufactured to ISO 9000 Standards, 10-Year Warranty
4. Clean, treat, and dress your tyres and apply a wheel surface sealant. Spray the inner wheel wells with Chemical Guys ?Bare Bones? spray it on sub frame, springs, wheel wells, fender wells, etc. and it provides valuable protection from road dirt, road salt, etc.

Products-
1. Intro-Tech Automotive Snow Shades protect your windshield with four frost-stopping layers. Keep your windshield clear and ice-free during the coldest of winter seasons. Outer clear coating, silver aluminium foil film and mesh lining stops snowflakes from collecting. And, a black vinyl inner layer snuggles your glass to keep it from freezing. Plus, these snow shades are custom-made to cover every inch. Easy to store, just roll it up into its convenient carrying case and toss in your trunk or back seat. And, you can enjoy your snow shades for many chilly seasons to come - Intro-Tech backs them with a Lifetime Warranty http://www..com/
2. Ice Remover-strong enough to rip through thick ice, The Ice Master removes ice four ways! The patent pending design features repositionable blades that lock into different positions to suit the job at hand. Clear hard ice, thick ice, frost, and snow with this ingenious windshield ice scraper. Three deburred brass blades effectively remove ice from windows and mirrors without scratching. Hard polycarbonate teeth break thick ice. The Ice Master is made with gloved hands in mind. Each position can be achieved with a simple push or pull motion
3. Stratmosphere Ultimate Snowbrush, this new innovation finally brings you the technology you need to save your car`s finish this winter. It has Genuine Boar`s hair bristles that stay firm, even when wet so it?s kinder to paint finishes than any other snowbrush. Prior to the Ultimate Snowbrush you have probably damaged your finish by using synthetic-based (plastic) snowbrushes that leave all sorts of scratches and swirl-marks on your finish (stratmosphere ultimate snowbrush)
4. Sno Bruma telescoping squeegee that removes snow from the windshield without scratching. Clearing snow off the windshield is just part of the challenge, the rest of the car carries a heavy blanket of snow that obscures vision, blocks the radiator, and covers taillights. And on my 4x4, a foot of snow can pile up on the roof, creating a hazard for following vehicles. Using a snow brush in one direction only, remove the bulk of the snow accumulation leaving perhaps a ?- inch of snow on the paints surface, then let the remaining snow melt from the heat from the vehicle
5. The Ice Master removes ice four ways! The patent pending design features repositionable blades that lock into different positions to suit the job at hand. Clear hard ice, thick ice, frost, and snow with this ingenious windshield ice scraper. Three deburred brass blades effectively remove ice from windows and mirrors without scratching. Hard polycarbonate teeth break thick ice. The Ice Master is made with gloved hands in mind. Each position can be achieved with a simple push or pull motion
6. Winter Car Mats - Rubber Floor Mats made out of natural heavy-duty rubber (WeatherTech? Classic? Premium) These all-weather mats have deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. Made of up to 16 lbs. of pliable natural rubber, these mats won`t curl, crack or harden in sub-zero weather. They also have anti-skid ridges to prevent shifting in your vehicle and come with a protective, non-stick finish to make cleanup quick and easy. They meet FMVSS302 standards; TUV approved and comply with ISO 9001 standards Colours available- black (with red pinstripe), Tan or Grey - WeatherTech? Classic? Premium

Information resource

1. Automotive Detailing Inside & Out; a Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist, by Jon Miller
2. TOGWT? Series of Detailing Articles, by Jon Miller

? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved