PDA

View Full Version : after all this time...

540i
08-03-2001, 06:21 PM
is this a better product than megiuars for lite swirls on black car?need info advice.

JasonC8301
08-03-2001, 09:17 PM
Meguiars has a whole line of products. It would depend on application methoid and product choosen. A person with a rotary and skill with Meguiars #9 will probably do better than a average joe with a towel as an applicator and and 3M SMR.

Well in anycase, 3M polishes are generally better than Meguiar`s when used by hand. The 3M would actually remove more swirls than cover them up, like meguiars when used by hand.

Jason

imported_glfahlc
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
i have been trying to get the perfect finish on the 2000 jet black bimmer that you experts get with a rotary and sip with no success. i finally purchased some m105 and succeeded in getting the paint mar free. the only problem now is that i can get it mar free but when i try to wipe the polish off the scratches return. now i have the green mf and white polishing cloth from pac and i wash them like you supposed to and just figured out that maybe the reason i haven`t gotten the paint perfect are the towels and not the process. am i missing something here.... suggestions anyone... my wife says i`m obsessed, but i just want perfect paint.

imported_Luster
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
That paint is incredibly soft! I`ve worked on many of them.

I ended up using "Fluffer" microfibers from Chemical guys, to wipe the cars after polishing. I use ONR mixed in a spray bottle as my QD.

The Fluffers are very, very soft and have a satin border.

I usually get them on sale 6/$17.95 and they are extra large... 24"x16".

imported_glfahlc
11-03-2009, 09:17 PM
i always thought the paint on bmw were usually very hard. like i said i had a hard time getting it 100% corrected. but tonight i polished it, looked at it closely with the halogen, it was fine, then wiped it and inspected closely again and the scratches were back. so its obviously the cloths. i have some new white polishing cloths from pac i will try. i also have the green fluffy mf from AG but they leave a lotta lint behind. i`ll check out the chemical guys... thanks bill

imported_Luster
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM
It`s hard to believe that one or two swipes with a microfiber towel can scratch the paint, but it`s true.

I`m no expert on BMW`s, but I`m pretty sure the black on the late 90`s/early 2000`s is different from the other colors. I`ve done a `97 and a `99, both black and they were extremely soft.

Junebug
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Gee, old age is setting in, but I remember something about 2 different shades of black on Beemers, one was the standard hard as nails, the other was stupid soft, worse than Honda`s. I can`t remember what the names were though!

imported_glfahlc
11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
i have the jet black paint and it must be the stupid soft one cuz if i simply wipe my finger on it after i smooth it out, it will mar it. thats why i`m having a hard time getting it completely mar free. the polishing cloths and waxing sponges are leaving light scratches. i know they`re light cuz i can redo with a black pad and final polish2 and it smoothes it right back out... crazy

Mike Murphy
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Just curious, are you doing an ipa wipedown after polishing?

imported_glfahlc
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
well mike i use menzerna top inspection before and after compounding, then i use either top inspection or a alch/water wipe after my power finish application, then an alch/water wipe before final polish 2. now i can see its clear and mar free before i take off the fip, but after wioe down i see light scratches. i can redo the fip and clear em up, but when i wipe down the scratches reappear. i/m washing my m/f in hot water and doing a second rinse with vinegar then drying with no heat. i think i have paint thats so soft i need to be extra extra careful. you have anything else i could try?