PDA

View Full Version : New Products for 2010 - Meguiar`s

janderson
08-03-2001, 12:50 PM
Ok, I am about to embark on my first "true" detailing job. I am not sure which way I am going to go. This post is for input as to a specific direction.

First I want to clay the car (never done before). I know that my local auto store carries the Mother`s clay kit. I saw the CMA Pinnacle kit advertised. Is there a difference in the clay? If so, what would be best on black paint?

Second, I need to determine the order of applications. I was going to first Clay the car. Then I was going to move to the 3M SMR. From there I was going to go to the AIO and then SG. I saw that this was the way in which most of the members proceed with detailing.

Third, I saw that you can put wax over SG? I thought that I just needed to clean the paint to the base level, fix any swirl marks, and then put on AIO, and then a few coats of SG. Are you supposed to put a wax over he SG? If so, what wax should I use, if any?

I want to do this right the first time. Any input would be great. Thanks.

ALM
08-03-2001, 12:57 PM
Depending on how bad your swirl marks are you may want to consider using Finesse-it instead of SMR. I currently use SMR, however it is very mild stuff, and you may be polishing for awhile b4 you see any results.

To answer your question about waxing over SG, yes many of us (inculding myself) wax over our final layer of SG to add depth to the shine. This is especially true if you have a black, red, or any other color car that is a "attention" drawing color. If you wish to wax over top of your final layer of SG the only two waxes I personally would reccomend are Pinnacle Sovergn (sp) or Blitz wax. The Blitz is much cheaper and much more durable than the Pinnacle, however the Pinnacle will produce a much richer finish.

old_gonzo
08-03-2001, 01:06 PM
I can comment on the Mother`s clay as I had just used it a few days ago. I found the clay very easy to work with and it produced very nice results. I had purchased the Mother`s Clay Bar Kit which included the Showtime QD, and hence used that as the lubricant. I had no complaints at all with the Mother`s clay.

I cannot comment on the Pinnacle clay as I have not used it.

hook
08-03-2001, 02:49 PM
I used the Mother`s clay kit and fopund it quite easy to use and that it produced excellent results. My cars are not black, but both are very dark (the Maxima looks black in most light). Unfortunately, I can`t compare to other clays, but the Mother`s did work fine on dark paint.

You`ve got the right order - clay, SMR, AIO, SG. Do you have swirl marks or some micro-marring (small, light scratches)? If not, you can skip the SMR. If you do have minor swirls, you might want to try AIO in one spot to see if it corrects them - it might. If not, then you can always do the SMR.

As far as wax over SG, many here do it to produce a deeper look. I think I will try it, but I`m having so much fun putting the SG on the Lexus I haven`t had the heart to yet (I`m now at the "critical mass" point of three coats of SG). But I have some Souveran that I`ve been promised looks excellent on dark paint, so.....

You can quit after the SG and have a great looking shine, plus if you ever want to put on another layer you won`t have to strip the wax.

One other thing, you didn`t say how many layers of AIO. I personally feel that 2 coats of AIO are better than one before moving to the SG, I like the feeling I`ve got a good solid base coat for the SG.

Post some pics when you`re done if you can - I`m sure it`ll look great!

blue skies,

Andy

JasonC8301
08-03-2001, 02:52 PM
you NOT to buy Meguiars clay. It leaves residue that is not apparent with other clays.

I have a 200 gram canister of Meguiars C2000 professional overspray clay, it`ll produce the same results of Mothers but with bothersome residue that can be buffed off.

Jason

TortoiseAWD
08-03-2001, 03:18 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>you NOT to buy Meguiars clay. It leaves residue that is not apparent with other clays.

I have a 200 gram canister of Meguiars C2000 professional overspray clay, it`ll produce the same results of Mothers but with bothersome residue that can be buffed off.
[/b]</blockquote>
Ditto that. I`ve only tried clay once, several years ago. It was Meguair`s off-the-shelf stuff, and I did 1/4 of a panel before saying "screw this" and pitching it. After reading all of the positive clay experiences (and finding out that I wasn`t alone in the Meguair`s clay problems), I`m anxious to give it a try on my WRX. I`m waiting for cool weather, though . . . it`s a freakin` sauna in the Midwest right now.

Tort

dino
11-03-2009, 04:48 AM
:thumbup:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161

thecarter13
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
+1 for the 3/4" tape, I think alot of people have been looking for a tape in this range. I always find 1" but nothing skinnier along the lines of painters/autotape. Maybe I am always looking in the wrong places. :huh:

Also which one is lab sample p, I didn`t look to hard into it but really didn`t see anything close, is it Ultimate Protectant?

Any who thanks for the link :clap:

dino
11-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Yes, Lab Sample P is the new Ultimate Protectant.

See post #2.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38030

Of the new 2010 items, I`m looking forward to the new 3", 4" pads, and corresponding backing plates.